Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is 'txt tlk' considered 'cool'?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[FlyingPigKnockout]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:27 am
This is something that's been bothering me for a while.

Originally, things like you=u are=r were just used to shorten longer words and make them quicker to text (hence "txt speek"). But a lot more now, people seem to be using it more, but rather than to shorten words, just for the sake of using it.

For example; "fonez" and "iz" and other words that use S's on the end of sentences, people substitute them for Z's. When it's just as easy to type out an S, why use the Z? It's the same using words like "f33t" while using the letter 3 (which is actually more difficult to do on a mobile phone than an e is).

Is it because text talking these days is considered cool? Why everyone has to be grammatically incorrect?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:38 pm
Those who "txt tlk" are following a tide they are unaware is carrying them. If you try to swim the other way, it seems stupid, because every else is...not. I would just say that like clothes, what you are describing is a trend. The only thing is it is taking a while to be of yesterday. People follow trends, stupid or not. And those who bother to speak the English language swim again the tide.

I guess you could call text-speaking "American English." Because this sure isn't.

Ellenl

-x x kyoxtohru x x-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:28 pm
Hero - Haru ni saku hana ya
Max - Natsu no sanahama
Uknow - Aki no tasogare ya
Micky - Fuyu no nukumori

Oi, I have no clue. Personally, I use some things with "z's." Such as my signature, "Sistaz. Foreva."
I just use that because my best friend and I normally mess around using "txt talk." Other times, we are gramatically (sp?) correct.

I just got a cell phone for christmas, and my sister and I have texted each other a bit. But, both of us use correct grammar (we're both grammar freaks, thank GOD.)
I personally think it's worth the tiny amount of time more it takes to text correctly.
But that's just me and you guys. XD

Hero - When the rain is pouring,
Max - I'll be your umbrella,
Uknow - when the wind is blowing,
Micky - I'll be your wall.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:52 am
Five high D's... AHHH!
Four fog machines
Three pretty harmonies

I think using chatspeak on purpose adds a slightly different tone to something said. It usually adds irony or apathy or just lack of seriousness.

Sample sentence:
"Oh no, I lost my book!"
People responding to this sentence would probably recommend things to this person to help them find the lost book.
Same sentence in chatspeak:
"O noez I lostorz mah bewk!"
People responding to this sentence may laugh at the situation, as the person may have liked losing the book.

And is there any real substitute for "XD"? "*laughs*" and "hahaha" don't quite work. It's just a different tone... *shrug*

Two Christines (and an understudy)
And a sweaty piece of porcelain on his face
Happy Pholidays

Elanchana

xE-Cappucino-3x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:27 am
For my opinion, I like using Good Grammar, because the 'txt talk' makes me feel ragged.(?) People using 'txt talk' are the people who usually are lazy sometimes so they use 'txt talk'. Before I used 'txt talk' but now, I like Good grammar. Shh... I was highest today in my English Term Test.... Shh...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:35 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Flying high above the clouds...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -I use both, really.

Though I only use chatspeak when I'm making fun of it, or n00bs. (ps. "n00b" is the correct way to spell it, unless it's "newb". Ask me, I'll give you the background on it)

I can understand if you can't type very fast, but if you make the small effort you can train yourself into typing correctly. I've gotten into the habit, now, that when I try to type badly, I have to think about it. On some of my mules I've tried to sounds n00bish, and I ended up reverting back to correct grammar User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show..- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...Since 1988User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Requiem 0f Eternity

kute_kunoichi_of_konoha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:33 pm
Thank god there are people who prefer proper grammer over 'txt tlk'
And when you're surronded by people who use it all the time...it's unbearable crying
I couldn't even translate 'O noez I lostorz mah bewk!'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:35 am
[FlyingPigKnockout]
Is it because text talking these days is considered cool?

When I was in 4th grade it was "cool" to substitute an s for a z and to make the dot over the i into a heart. It's not really cool, but if you're 10 you can't really tell. You just do what your friends do.

Kids usually grow out of it, and you can't really blame them for testing the limits. When adults do it I just cringe however. My uncle sends me text messages sometimes and he writes like a 14-year-old. (Which is probably close to his mental capacity - but it's still creepy.)  

isolumme

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff