Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Color switching? (knitting question)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bookaholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:34 pm
I want to make a black beanie with red hearts on it. I know how to block patterns and all that, but how do you switch from one color to the other in the same row?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:36 am
It's pretty simple. You just start knitting with the new color. When you have a pattern where you're going back and forth, it's easier if you use the new color to hold the tail of the old one in place--cross them so they form a sort of "t" shape. You have to be very careful with your gauge though, because it's very easy to get it too tight when your doing this.

I know I probably didn't explain that well. I'm so visual it's hard for me to explain things using words. I think knittinghelp.com has some videos that might demonstrate it better.  

knitting_needle_ninja

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:14 pm
(uh oh... YAG is going to go all encyclopedia again >.<)

There are basically 3 ways for doing multi-color designs.

The best way for you depends on what you want your final project to look like.

1. Duplicate Stitch.

Tutorial: http://getting-stitched-on-the-farm.blogspot.com/2006/10/duplicate-stitch-tutorial-for-years-i.html

What it is: you sew little spots of color over what you have already knitted. This method of seweing looks exactly like knitting (cool, huh?)

What it works for: small or isolated areas of color (say you want one or two little hearts on your hat

2. Intarsia

Tutorial: http://www.sweaterscapes.com/intars.htm

What it is: pretty much what KNN said above, you join a new piece of yarn for your colored area and you join a second Main color after you're done knitting the color

What it works for: Large areas of contrast color - it's a bit fussy for small areas. (Say you wanted one big heart that took up most of the front of the hat)

3. Fair Isle

Tutorial: http://www.sheeweknits.com/fair_isle_101.htm

What it is: Fair Isle (also called "stranded knitting") is the processes of holding two yarns (one in either hand) at the same time, and knitting with each of them for small bands of color - knitting with the color you want while holding the other color in back.

What it Works For: Small repeating motifs done in the round. (Say you wanted a band of hearts around the brim of your hat)

Hope this helps!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:57 pm
Wow. I never knew there were multiple ways... Thanks. biggrin  

bookaholic

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:37 pm
You're welcome smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:05 pm
I find it amusing that you mentioned blocking, because the two things are heavily unrelated.
I'll bet you're new to this, though.
blaugh  

Kingyo~goldfish

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas