Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Text Talk and school notes.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zen Bassist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm
So, I'm just curious, but do you all do any abbreviations in your writing for notes? I do abbreviations, but I include all my vowels, and I use commas and apostrophes.

I practice good grammar to use good grammar, but I'm wondering whether you would feel the same way, since notes aren't really anything meant for other people, anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:37 am
When I've got time, I usually write everything in full but extremely messily xd

But even when I'm rushed I don't really write in short-hand much, I tend to just get rid of connectives and etc.  

noonnonon

Amaya84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:37 pm
tearboi
When I've got time, I usually write everything in full but extremely messily xd

But even when I'm rushed I don't really write in short-hand much, I tend to just get rid of connectives and etc.

I agree with tearboi. I really can't stand much abbreviations, mostly due to the fact that when rushed I write so messily that it's hard to read! If I have an actual word, I can figure it out later. blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:51 pm
I abbreviate, but it doesn't really matter because my writing is illegible anyway.  

Counterfeit Self

Miakou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:10 pm
Eh, I usually avoid notes in general.

However, when I have to write notes, I end-up writing in full sentences. Strictly speaking, my writing is horrible. If my words are four or more letters long, I can mostly figure them out.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 pm
I tried using text talk for notes once. It was in health, and we always used notes on tests...I failed the test. I couldn't figure out what any of the vowel-less words were. So I've never done that again. But, I do use abbreviations.  

Hermione J Weasley - SPEW

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 pm
Oh, I used chatspeak very often in note. Now I just cut out words and a few other things, unless it's Spanish, in which case I just... well, I still cut a few words out, and those notes are in Spanish!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:22 pm
I prefer to use full sentences where possible but on the whole I usually just take down the key terms in dot point form, and fill in the gaps when I have the time.  

little_evil_goth

Kuo51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:43 pm
If it's in school notes, I think TXT talk & Leet are OK. wink However in assignments, quizzes, and tests it's definitely inappropriate. mad  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:17 am
With notes as long as YOU understand them, write it however you want, as long as the notes don't get handed into the teacher and graded. Tests, exams, worksheets, reports, and essays, no. Unless you're quoteing something.  

mdarkcecil

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 am
I'm a note-taker for disabled people who are unable to take notes themselves, so I have pretty much have no choice but to do full sentences.

What helps is that I'm allowed to use my laptop for said classes, but when I am not, I heavily rely writing in full sentences. My handwriting is not that great, but it's understandable.

I don't like the concept of text talk or leet in notes or anything. Abbreviations are okay if used sparingly, but not all the time unless the professor is literally talking a hundred miles per hour, you know?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games