Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Poetry
Must poetry rhyme? [Discussion]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you need rhyme and meter?
  No - they are completely unnecessary.
  They're nice, but sometimes they get in the way.
  I prefer rhyme and meter, but I can do without them.
  All poems MUST rhyme and have structure! They aren't poems otherwise!
View Results

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:11 am
Personally, I prefer poetry that has rhyme and meter, although I don't think it's absolutely necessary. If the meter (at least) is consistent, I can read it smoothly and clearly, and rhyme helps.

Do you need rhyme? Meter? Both, or none?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:54 pm
Technically it needs neither and can still be a poem but most people prefer it to have rhyme or meter and sometimes both. I prefer rhyme over anything but can do with almost any kind of poem...except I don't prefer Haikus.  

sayaandtenshi

Friendly Conversationalist

5,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:17 am
Personally, I don't like using meter or rhyme because I feel it is a giant restraint on me and my creativity.

For things that are supposed to have rhythm and meter, then yes, they should have it, such as a sonnet.

I usually don't write those, so I don't worry about the rules.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:42 am
I believe that it is more complicated to write a poem that has both a set rhyme scheme and a meter. Particular sonnet types pop into my head as was mentioned by Dameon_Patron_of_Healing.

I like to read poems with a meter because they flow more. The rhyme doesn't matter to much. I'm a huge fan of Emily D. and she used slanted rhyme, which gave her poems a bit of edgyness at times. So if used a certain way I think that rhyme can really add to the quality and the message of the poem. However, I don't feel the need that it has to have it.  

Ekirin

terramaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:49 pm
Completely unnecessary. Sometimes it does help, but as long as it flows and is not reaking of angst I'll probably enjoy it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:45 am
I dunno about you folks, but for some reason I can't do poetry anymore without at least some rhyme and meter. When I don't, it turns out to be utter crap.  

Malak al-Maut

xXgoth_girl12Xx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:23 pm
Free form poetry.
It doesn't need to have a structure, and it can still be poetry. If I remember my english lessons correctly.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 am
{Fact}

Or

{Opinion}?

"...and who are we to be but kings...

Poetry is just..
I mean, it's nice to have rhyme and structure, but I could do without it.
It's a simple as "Not all poems are good, but all poems ARE different."
I can't recall who said that qoute.
I might have just made it up.
;D
..in this noble game of chess..?..."

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:04 am
I don't really care about rhyme. Sure, it sounds neat but it's hardly necessary. I prefer some kind of meter, but I can get by without it. What a poem absolutely must have is a good flow. I read poems (especially in some circles online) that I just can't get through because there's no flow from one line to the next.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:44 pm
@Emilem: I think I may have heard that somewhere too, so either you made it up and said it twice or you heard it and repeated it. Either way, spectacular quote.

Different people like different things. Hence, the discussion. 3nodding  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Honeydukes Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:53 am
Well, actually there's no rules. The only poems that you have to write a certain way are Haikus. Poems don't need a beat or rhyming pattern.  
Poetry

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games