Top 10 Ways To Ruin your Spiritual Life

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:12 am
Aidan Odinson's Top Ten Popular Ways to Ruin your Spiritual Life (from the podcast "The Secrets in Plain Sight"

10) Just recite rote. Don't bother to learn, understand or feel what you are saying. It's written there in that Book, and that's all you need.

9) Think you know enough. You completed the course of study to get where you want to be; there's nothing more than the third degree, there's nothing beyond so-and-so's books, you've made it! You're there! There's nothing more!

8 ) Emphasize the negative. Spend plenty of time being down, celebrating how horrible you are, and punishing yourself.

7) Make it a duty. Forget wanting to do it, you have to do it. You have to observe this, do that, and this.

6) Don't explore. You've got a teacher or mentor; don't bother getting curious beyond them. Why would you want to do that? Stay in your nice little box and be lead around on a leash.

5) Emphasize pleasing or displeasing someone else. You've just got to top that other guy because if s/he got second degree you've got to get third degree before s/he does. And you've got to follow this path to displease your parents.

4) Take others too seriously. Parrot what someone else said; don't do the digging for yourself! And did you know what so-and-so said about somebody? Gossip and listen to all the gossip talk.

3) Take yourself too seriously. First, you have to do everything perfectly ever time; anything else isn't satisfying. Or, instead of insisting on perfection, insinst on acting that you are. Kinda goes along with thinking that you know enough.

2) Don't ask questions or disturb others. After all, you might learn something; never ask "why do you do it that way?" Don't disturb someone with questions like that. It isn't worth rocking the boat. Accept it blindly.

1) Let someone else think for you. Let someone else tell you want to do and think; who needs to think for yourself? That woman has an opinion on everything, so just let her tell you what to think. The Gods can't do that, you can't claim that, and that's the end of it. Because so-and-so said so.

arrow What do you think of Aidan's list? On what points do you agree? On what points do you disagree?
arrow Are there any items you think belong on this list more in terms of behavior and attitudes that make your spiritual life crash and burn?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:39 am
i have to ask.... what is spiritualy destructive about trying to be perfect...? o.o  

twilight insanity

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 am
I didn't make the list, so I can only clarify based on what was said in the podcast. I presume you were refering to the third one. Basically what he was getting at is that you do NOT have to do it perfectly every time. If you expect that of yourself, you'll only wear yourself out and send your spiritual life into a crash and burn phase. Everybody messes up a ritual. Everybody flops a spell. So will you. Don't take yourself so seriously that you want to eat your eyes out if that happens.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:01 pm
.....iii-_- i don't think i can help myself.... i always push myself to do better than my best, and if i don't.... then i'm not good enough, and it's just... i have to better... heck, i always have to do better than before anyway...it's just how i grew up, i was raised that way. where no matter how good i do it isn't enough... does this mean that ... that's a reason i am having such a hard time with my spiritual life? is that one of the reasons that i feel so spiritualy ******** up?
i think that this movie here is a good one to watch for anyone who wants to ensure good spiritual, mental and physical health.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QsS3cXGs2GQ  

twilight insanity

loahnuh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:49 am
I think that by perfection Aidan is talking about the constant thinking that nothing is ever good enough even when it is, by all intents and purposes, perfect. I do have to say though that I am guilty of being a bit of a perfectionist and taking myself too seriously.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:20 pm
butitIS never good enough, not when i'm doing it!! gonk i HAVE to be absolutely undeniably perfect!! crying  

twilight insanity

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 am
If you're always demanding that of yourself, you'll never be happy because you'll never reach that goal. It doesn't mean you don't hold to some sort of standard, it just means you take it easy on yourself and - relating to another point on his list - don't take yourself too seriously. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 am
iii-_- but i'm never gonna have the one thing i want most of all anyway....so what's the point in relaxing my standards to try to be happier....?  

twilight insanity

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:15 am
twilight insanity
iii-_- but i'm never gonna have the one thing i want most of all anyway....so what's the point in relaxing my standards to try to be happier....?

First, what do you want most of all? You don't have to say it in the forum, but ask yourself some questions about what you really want and if you're being realistic, pessimistic about your chances, and such and such.

Second, don't you want to be happy? confused  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:16 pm
iii-_- *sighs.* ... i'm sorry... i'm going on and on stupidly about this whole subject...  

twilight insanity

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am
Naw, it's not a problem. If you need to get it out, get it out. You don't have to do it here, or present things in a personal way. It can just keep the topic going. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:31 pm
question.... it's kinda off topic... but... if one chooses a shadow-based spiritual life.... and knowing full well that the consequence is that the more traditional light-based methods of protectiona nd healing will be negative towards oneself.... how can one tell what protections are safe to use?  

twilight insanity

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff