Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
The HELP! thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 am
So I was browsing around the guild, and it ocurred to me that it might be a good idea to have a thread where people could ask for help with their crafting mistakes, a single place for all that useful information so that no one has to go guild-diving and to cut down on repeat threads.

This idea came to me mostly because I screwed something up sweatdrop and was hoping for a little hit of assistance.

I have a sweater that is about 25% wool. I've had it for a few years, and have never had a problem machine washing and drying it (before you scream in horror, it IS a store-bought sweater).

Well, as some of you might know, I'm in Italy right now, and it totally did not even occur to me that Italian washing machines are different from American ones. I washed it at 40 C with my other darks, like usual. Rather than having a hot/cold cycle and a color/white/delicate setting, this machine goes by fabric content and temperature. I set it for cotton, because aside from the sweater, everything else was jeans and teeshirts.

Well, I bet you can guess what happened. The wool decided to felt, so the sweater shrank and now has a somewhat odd texture.

If you were seeing it for the first time, you wouldn't notice. It is wearable, it still fits (just a little more snugly in places; it's more a "fitted" sweater than an "comfy" sweater now), but it's also a little stiff and now a bit scratchy. Like I said, the texture is off and so is the size. I realize I can't make it like new again, but is there a way to undo some of the felting and make it a little looser, maybe a little softer?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:29 am
knitting_needle_ninja
So I was browsing around the guild, and it ocurred to me that it might be a good idea to have a thread where people could ask for help with their crafting mistakes, a single place for all that useful information so that no one has to go guild-diving and to cut down on repeat threads.

This idea came to me mostly because I screwed something up sweatdrop and was hoping for a little hit of assistance.

I have a sweater that is about 25% wool. I've had it for a few years, and have never had a problem machine washing and drying it (before you scream in horror, it IS a store-bought sweater).

Well, as some of you might know, I'm in Italy right now, and it totally did not even occur to me that Italian washing machines are different from American ones. I washed it at 40 C with my other darks, like usual. Rather than having a hot/cold cycle and a color/white/delicate setting, this machine goes by fabric content and temperature. I set it for cotton, because aside from the sweater, everything else was jeans and teeshirts.

Well, I bet you can guess what happened. The wool decided to felt, so the sweater shrank and now has a somewhat odd texture.

If you were seeing it for the first time, you wouldn't notice. It is wearable, it still fits (just a little more snugly in places; it's more a "fitted" sweater than an "comfy" sweater now), but it's also a little stiff and now a bit scratchy. Like I said, the texture is off and so is the size. I realize I can't make it like new again, but is there a way to undo some of the felting and make it a little looser, maybe a little softer?

There's really no way to UN-felt something. There's some speculations about using vinegar and/or hair conditioner to try to unlock some of the fibers, but most people only find that it makes the fabric softer.  

Catcheen
Crew

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:32 pm
GAH! I AM SO MAD!
I've been working on this hat. I just hit the part where it says that it should measure 12.5 inches. Mine measures 16! So i'm trying to figure out where i went wrong. Okay, i miss-remembered something and knit for 2 1/2 inches instead of 1 1/2 inches. That counts for 1 inch. I measured, the first part where it says to knit for 7 inches is spot on, maybe even a little short. The only thing that i can figure is that when it says to increase every other row i needed to do it every row? And same with the decreases? That is all i can figure, cause the gauge is right. Granted, it doesn't give a row per inch gauge, but i normally have about the right gauge for most patterns.....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:53 pm
Okay, crisis averted. I just decided to take off that shaped bit, as it's for extra warmth, but i talked to my grandma and she said she could just put on a scarf. mad P:  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

claviclebone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:07 pm
This is a help "what do I turn it into post?". I just started kintting on a 20'' circular needle, and I don't know what to make! I am WAY to impatient for socks xp ! Did ya know that there's probally at least 100 stitches casted on? So any suggestions peoples?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:41 am
Well, Circular knit scarves are very warm. How much yarn do you have to work with?  

knitting_needle_ninja

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 am
knitting_needle_ninja
Well, Circular knit scarves are very warm. How much yarn do you have to work with?

And what type of yarn is it? wieght/content.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:08 pm
Miss_Rowen
This is a help "what do I turn it into post?". I just started kintting on a 20'' circular needle, and I don't know what to make! I am WAY to impatient for socks xp ! Did ya know that there's probally at least 100 stitches casted on? So any suggestions peoples?

Most socks knitted on fingering weight yarn require around 64 stitches and they're actually a pretty good intermediate between quick projects like hats and scarves and long commitment projects like shawls and sweaters.  

Charmmi

claviclebone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:41 pm
Pathetic but 1 new skein of black bulky yarn. There's probally less than 100 stitches though. I also have no clue how to do socks will probally never will. Also I suck at knitting so much i can't even work on 3 DPNs at a time >.>  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:32 pm
I think with one skein, your best bet is to either make a hat or a scarf, or to mix yarns... give it a boarder of something else.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

claviclebone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:27 pm
Okay. I might make it an amigurumi head. But best odds are that i'm going to give up midway and make it a headband. If it can fit my big ol' head.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:56 am
You could combine it with another yarn and turn it into a bag.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Charmmi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:27 pm
It should be enough to make a cellphone or ipod cozy. If it's a feltable wool, you can make coasters. I keep a set of felted coasters on my coffee table and they're used all the time.

Basic socks use simple techniques like decreasing, increasing, and picking up stitches, not much harder than a round hat. There are so many patterns and varieties everyone should try it at least once.

When I use DPNs I generally have a total of 5, 4 with stitches on them and 1 that I'm going to knit onto.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:42 pm
Okay thanks! I just started knitting last year! xp I good at knitting, but not that good! So you will probally see me here again!  

claviclebone

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff