Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Sims 2 Guild

Back to Guilds

Great place to share/show your creations and meet other TS2 fans! 

Tags: Sims2, Simulation, Maxis, Electronic Arts, Social Bunny 

Reply The Sims 2 Help
Custom content and expansion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:28 pm
So, I just installed the sims open for business on my pc... this is the first expansion I have ever installed and I'm with problems regarding the custom content installed (only the objects) <.< Is there any way to make it available on my game other than reinstalling both games? Just wondering here... Would it work if I just deleted all custom content, play in some random family, and then place it again in the download folders? never mind it didn't work <.< help?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:56 am
First off, OFB rocks. Good choice.

Secondly, I use an installer program called Q-Express to install all my CC in the game. It works very well, and is hosted by Mod the sims 2. May I suggest you try it?

The heart of reality

5,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:30 pm
The heart of reality
First off, OFB rocks. Good choice.

Secondly, I use an installer program called Q-Express to install all my CC in the game. It works very well, and is hosted by Mod the sims 2. May I suggest you try it?

Oh, I've seen that program in that site before, but never really understood what it was for ^^;
Thanks for the help! ^^

Edit: Hum... sorry to bother you again, but the program isn't really working... whenever I click on the "Install" button to install a certain custom content thing it gives me a 308 error o.O

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 pm
How do you mean you're having problems with CC installed? Do you mean you already have some installed but it's not showing up?

P.S. I also agree that OFB rocks. I love it. ^-^

Banana-nana

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:02 am
xD I'm glad I bought OFB then. I was worried it wouldn't be all that good *still hasn't played it*

Banana-nana
How do you mean you're having problems with CC installed? Do you mean you already have some installed but it's not showing up?

P.S. I also agree that OFB rocks. I love it. ^-^

Hum.. o.o the expansion gives me a warning that a certain amount of CC installed doesn't work in the game, and that it might cause problems if I don't disable them (I tried enabling them, and the game wouldn't even load <.<).  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:35 pm
Do you have any hacks? If you do, did you update them for that EP?

Yeah, OFB takes some getting used to, but once you get it going, it's so fun. I love thinking of new businesses. ^-^

Banana-nana

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:48 am
Banana-nana
Do you have any hacks? If you do, did you update them for that EP?

Yeah, OFB takes some getting used to, but once you get it going, it's so fun. I love thinking of new businesses. ^-^

When you mean hacks you mean programs or hacked objects/food? O.o I never installed any hack program, but I think I installed once a hacked food, but it doesn't show up in the game anyways...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:17 pm
Hacks are files that make your game act differently from the way it was originally programmed like making it possible to home school children (I have one for that-- it's fun).

You can download these if you download houses and not even realize it.

But your issue is that if you enable custom content, your game will not load? So it will load if you select "disable custom content?"

Try this... go to My Documents> EA Games> Sims 2. There is a folder there called Groups.cache. You may also have a file called Accessory.cache. Delete both these files, if you have both, and then try starting up your game. These files will regenerate when you do.

If that doesn't work, you may need to test your downloads to see if one is causing trouble.

And a tip, to get rid of that darn dialog box, once you do get your game to load with the CC, go to the options panel and into the one with the gears icon. In the right-hand corner is the "Display custom content dialog box at start up" select off, and that display box will no longer show up.

Banana-nana

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:34 am
Banana-nana
Hacks are files that make your game act differently from the way it was originally programmed like making it possible to home school children (I have one for that-- it's fun).

You can download these if you download houses and not even realize it.

But your issue is that if you enable custom content, your game will not load? So it will load if you select "disable custom content?"

Try this... go to My Documents> EA Games> Sims 2. There is a folder there called Groups.cache. You may also have a file called Accessory.cache. Delete both these files, if you have both, and then try starting up your game. These files will regenerate when you do.

If that doesn't work, you may need to test your downloads to see if one is causing trouble.

And a tip, to get rid of that darn dialog box, once you do get your game to load with the CC, go to the options panel and into the one with the gears icon. In the right-hand corner is the "Display custom content dialog box at start up" select off, and that display box will no longer show up.

I only have a hacked food and telescope and, yeah, the game pretty much won't load unless I disable CC x.x
I deleted the Groups.cache but it didn't work... Well, when I load the game, it gives me a list of CC that may "interfere" with it... but I'm pretty sure that those which show up in the list are harmless (most of them are just recolours and new meshes). I guess the only option left is to reinstall it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:38 pm
Just to be sure, how long are you waiting for your game to load? Over an hour? I know a few people who have a lower end system and quite a bit of CC, so it takes 30 minutes or so to load. eek

Actually, if some CC is interfering, reinstalling will not help you.

You have two options:

1. Delete all your CC and simply start over and be careful about what you download and where from.

or

2. Systematically go through your folder to figure out which download is causing the problem.

You can do #2 like this. Move all the CC in your Downloads folder into another folder labeled "testing." (Make sure to take those OUT of the downloads folder.)

Take half of those downloads and put them into the downloads folder and start up the game. If the game still refuses to start, then you know the problem file is one of those in that pile. Split that folder in half, once again moving out half those files into a different folder (labeled testing 2 or something and make sure it's out of the downloads folder).

Doing it this way is quicker than testing one file at a time. Still takes some time.

Files can corrupt, and I've heard of meshes doing odd things because the creator mis-coded something.

The dialog box at the beginning that warns of CC that may interfere just gives you a list of all the CC you have. Technically, all CC "interferes" in the game. It's EA's way of covering their bases-- like McDonald's labeling their coffee cups with "Caution: Contents may be hot"

Banana-nana

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:40 am
I've just tried doing what you said, but the game seems to reject every single object I put in the downloads folder <_< The hairs and beddings and clothes work just fine (they did before I tried to look for corrupted files too).. so maybe it's not a corrupted file and maybe my expansion just hates objects. In this case, would reinstalling help? O.o

And thanks for assisting so far

The Sims 2 Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff