Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
ur...It doesn't even sound like your!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You are
  Ur
  Your
  Youre
  You're
View Results

Rewdalf

Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:12 pm
It really gets on my nerves when someone says "ur" instead of your, and even more so when they're trying to say "you're". It all started when people started saying "u" instead of "you" which also annoys me. Hey, why not add an "r"? Its almost as good...
No, it isnt. And its even worse to say it in the place of "you're". "You're" means "You are"..."ur" doesn't...
Any agreements?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:39 pm
I agree, the 'u' in 'ur' is a short 'u' and doesn't make much sense.  

Zen Bassist

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:49 pm
It's like they're talking about the ancient civilization/city/area of Ur.

Yep...

ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:56 pm
I absolutely despise that kind of writing. The only place that I can accept the use of "u" or other such nonesensical words (or symbols of words) is when a person is text-messaging and the number of letters determines the cost of the message being sent. The use of such conventions is completely unneccesary when typing posts in forums, or in e-mails.  

GirlPuck

Dedicated Hoarder

Shoko-Howlette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:27 pm
I agree with the poster above me that the ise of "ur" in text messages is alright because the typing space is very limited. I normally use the "t9" test function on my phone though, so it helps me type the text messages faster so that I dont use the awful "text talk".

It's a little funny though, I have a speach impediment and when I read the topic of the post I read "ur" and it sounds like how I pronounce "you're".

I had to go out to the living room and make my boyfriend and his friends all say "your" and "ur" for me so that I could hear the diffrence.

Overall, I really and truly believe that people who use the word "ur" in IM and in emails are really just lazy people. People that dont want to make two to four more key strokes.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:05 pm
I'm not sure it's even laziness - I see it as a lack of respect. It doesn't take any time whatsoever to properly punctuate and spell a post (assuming you're not dyslexic, I guess... and even then I know dyslexic people who still at least make the effort to post something coherent) - I find it takes MORE time to type something out in stupid, stupid text speak because you have to remember all those ridiculous abbreviations.

When I read things I "hear" them in my head - it's the way my brain works. When I read text speak I "hear" someone who, frankly, can't speak very well. First impressions count, and when all you have to make a first impression with are your words, a post where everything is spelled wrong (deliberately in many cases) just smacks of either stupidity, laziness or lack of respect for the people they're talking to.

I agree there's a time and a place. Message boards and emails are not it. Text messages? Fine. Online games? Fine, if you need to communicate quickly. Chat rooms and IM? Again, fine if you need to communicate quickly.

Perhaps I'm biased because I type quickly enough to be able to type things out in full in IM and online gaming situations. But I'm still more inclined to respond well to people who speak in "proper" (for want of a better word) English than this texty-texty nonsense.  

eJayPierre

cookie dough goblin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:31 pm
When I read "ur," I pronounce it as "uhrr" ... That doesn;t sound a thing like "you're."  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:21 pm
bumblebee ninja
When I read "ur," I pronounce it as "uhrr" ... That doesn;t sound a thing like "you're."

Exactly my point, bumblebee ninja (awesome name, by the way!) - I have that issue with text-speak in general. When I read something like "ELLO BAYBEE A WIZ JUS PASIN THRU N THAWT A WUD LEE U MAH LUFF" (a genuine quote I've seen posted on a certain website... all right, Bebo) I just pronounce it like it looks - which makes it sound like it's come from the mouth of someone who, to put it politely, can't speak very well.  

eJayPierre

Chocolatepanacea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:30 pm
eJayPierre
I'm not sure it's even laziness - I see it as a lack of respect.

Exactly!

And if you are not committed to the amount of time it takes to write out full, coherent sentences, then why are you even writing in the first place? If the matter is important to you, then you will show others and the subject respect by "gracing" them with proper grammar.

I’m sorry it has gotten to the point where you have to “grace” someone with proper grammar, like it is a special occasion.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 pm
Chocolatepanacea
eJayPierre
I'm not sure it's even laziness - I see it as a lack of respect.

Exactly!

And if you are not committed to the amount of time it takes to write out full, coherent sentences, then why are you even writing in the first place? If the matter is important to you, then you will show others and the subject respect by "gracing" them with proper grammar.

I’m sorry it has gotten to the point where you have to “grace” someone with proper grammar, like it is a special occasion.

Ahhhh. I am truly glad to find there are people out there who feel the same way as me. I remember having a huge and unproductive argument with a bunch of text-speakers on another forum some time ago. A TEACHERS' forum. Scary, huh? It's nice to find some like-minded people who still value literacy!  

eJayPierre

-x x kyoxtohru x x-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:29 pm
Cause a thousand words,
Call out through the ages,
They'll fly to you,

I can't believe I actually used to type like that. Thank GOD I came to my senses. User Image

Even though I can't see ,
I know they're reaching you,
Suspended on silver wings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 pm
When I pronounce "ur," it sounds like "yur" with a bit of a guttural on the "u". Either that or "yer," the classic.

Every single time I see "ur," I cringe a little inside. Especially when it's in the middle of otherwise correct text... it's a visible eyesore. The whole "your" vs. "you're" confusion is also annoying.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Shikaeii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am
KLLRDG
It really gets on my nerves when someone says "ur" instead of your, and even more so when they're trying to say "you're". It all started when people started saying "u" instead of "you" which also annoys me. Hey, why not add an "r"? Its almost as good...
No, it isnt. And its even worse to say it in the place of "you're". "You're" means "You are"..."ur" doesn't...
Any agreements?

When I read the 'word' (geez, it isn't even a word...) 'ur', it sounds like an American person saying it.

You know, every time I read a word, I actually imagine a mouth saying the words that I am reading... and 'ur' in my opinion is kind of a very hard thing to say... As in, the 'word' when spoken takes a lot of energy.

That's just how my mind works razz

(By the way, you forgot to add in the apostrophe in 'isn't'.)  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:22 pm
I'd have to agree here. "Ur" sounds more like "Urrrr" rather than "You're." Sometimes I feel that "txt tlk" is out to murder every brain cell in humanity... But, that's just me. biggrin  

AirPoof

Skilled Datemate

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:44 pm
I had some flash where saying ur in place of you're actually made sense, but then I lost it...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games