Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fionnabhair Aoife

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:31 pm
(Note: Sorry if this belongs in horror stories, but I thought I'd put it here since it's not really text talk, and more an idle observation than anything else....I think >.>.)

So I'm sitting in the library at my local community college, and there's a room next door where there's a class in session. The walls are basically made of glass, so I can clearly see what's on the board, and the door is open so I know what the instructor is teaching.

It's obviously a developmental English course, for people who can't go straight into the first college level English class.

What I find slightly disturbing is the fact that in the class to-do list that is written on the board, the first item is "comma's."

One would think that a teacher of English, even of remedial English, would know better than to put an apostrophe when pluralizing something and not indicating possession.

It's not really a big deal, and probably only a grammar nazi like myself would even care...but I just think it's a shame that the teacher, whether through ignorance or even a simple mistake, is fostering this common mistake.

XD I'm bored, can you tell? I have nothing better to do than critique some random teacher for a single misplaced apostrophe. razz -wanders away-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:41 pm
I noticed that traffic has been slowing up around here lately. Yes it is pretty sad though. I wouldn't worry about it that much though. They were only on commas. They probably don't know the use of an apostrophe yet anyway.  

Niccea Majeare

Amaya84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:00 pm
True, they don't know how to use a comma. Yet it would be nice if they learned the proper way the first time around, instead of learning two or three classes down the road. Then we wonder why no one in America knows how to spell or punctuate correctly!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:04 pm
Commas, Semicolons; I can't remember how to use them any more! xp  

Kuo51

Guttergoo

Fashionable Gawker

8,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:33 pm
- -
- -

Ew. Ewewew. It drives me nuts when people do stuff like that. I used to see stuff like that in letters and such sent home from school. My mom wasn't exactly thrilled that the people running the school I went to were making those kind of mistakes.

- -
- -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:01 pm
It really makes me wonder just how qualified other educational instructors are.  

The Soul Of The Blaze

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:12 pm
Perhaps that is why the students are taking remedial courses in the first place. Perhaps their original teacher also sucked at conventions.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 pm
Don't feel bad. Little errors like that drive me insane as well.  

Kaizoku-sensei

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff