Reply Avatar Talk
Is style dead?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aysel Solmaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 am
I've seen it make comebacks in the past... But matching first, look at the final product later seems to be the norm of our lovely subforum.

Am I just F-ing weird because I think that's bogus, or do you all feel that style should drive and matching can sit in the backstreet and offer suggestions? lol  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:37 pm
Style should out way matching.
Just because something matches doesn't mean it looks good, alot of matching balanced avatars these days look like complete crap.  

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Accidie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:28 pm
Hellz yeah bitchaz.

It's my personal mission to never again sacrifice my own sense of style for some cliched notion of what's good or bad.

I honestly don't care much for matching avatars because many of them look so alike, not to say they're bad, but they don't stick out or have any sort of excitement about them. I have a habit of rating people up as to not hurt their feelings. >_<  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:35 pm
While I do like to match, I like for my avatars to have a good sense of style more. Sometimes, I'll be in my inventory, and I'll make an avatar that matches; it might match shade-for-shade, perfectly; however, I'll be disappointed by it because it looks like all I care about is if the avatar matches or not.

In fact, whenever I rate avatars, I rarely take off if something doesn't match or if a certain color isn't balanced all the way through. I rate on how the avatar looks as a whole. 3nodding  

Le DCB

`Monox!de

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 pm

It is in AT. e we;;

If I were to go in there right now, I'd get like, a three because I don't match.
        And someone would call me a n00b or something. xd

I really like matching, though. But I can't seem to find anything I like lately unless I spend money. e we;;

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:04 pm
i dunno, sometimes there's an avatar that matches and is well balanced etc. but it just doesn't look good. Sometimes there's an avatar with a shade off, or a misplaced color, or completely not matching that i just love.  

Mio_Mikata

Shirtless Fatcat

Snowy Chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:42 am
I know. gonk
There are lots of avies that match, but look totally.. -_____-.
Still, they are rated high because of matchy-ness.

Most of the times, when you've some shades off, you'll not be rated high even if your avie looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:14 pm
Snowy Chan
I know. gonk

Most of the times, when you've some shades off, you'll not be rated high even if your avie looks good.

wow, i love your avi! it's perfect! it'd be a ten if the shade of your (insert item) weren't off, so...3 // 1o. but if you fix that it'll be perfect.

amirite? surprised

`Monox!de

iokia

Shirtless Elder

19,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:34 pm
It does seem to be making a comeback though. You gotta admit that. Some of the regulars are trying their hand at non-matchy or just style-based avatars. Sure, a lot of people still rate just based on colors, but not all of them all the time.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:03 pm
I do like matching, however, matching is not what drives my avis. I try to make avis that have a few colors and are fairly balanced left-to-right and top-to-bottom, with organized clutter.

There are many times when the avi I have now has been rated 7/10 or 8/10, because the shades of red don't match perfectly, and the eyepatch is more of a brownish black than my other blacks.  

poke-a-tronic

Snowy Chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 am
`Monox!de
Snowy Chan
I know. gonk

wow, i love your avi! it's perfect! it'd be a ten if the shade of your (insert item) weren't off, so...3 // 1o. but if you fix that it'll be perfect.

amirite? surprised

Haha, aww thanks biggrin . Yea you're right ><~ That's what the raters at AT told me too. But i don't bother to change it <3~ Is it the one with the seals slippers? ;x heart  

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games