Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Customizing Clothes?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Customization is...
  dumb.
  cool.
  something I know nothing about.
View Results

RainbowJimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:14 pm
For awhile now, I've been interested in the whole customization process.
But have no idea where to start.

I want to start with a pair of old jeans and customize the hell out of them.

What kind of materials do I need to do this?

Does anyone have any cool post-customization items that they've done?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:08 am
It depends on exactly what you want to do with them.
Do you want to distress them? You'll need sandpaper and possibly metal cookie cutters, bleach, a bleach pen.
Did you want to add jewels, and appliqués? You'll need something to attach the jewels and appliqués with. There are sew-on jewels, glue-on, and the type you use a tool like a BeDazzler to add.
You can add fabric patches either by sewing them or or using an iron-on. You can paint on them using fabric paint. You can add fabric under existing holes or holes you create.
Add trim to places like the pockets and hems, I seem to remember a suggestion to use it in 3 places on the garment to make it look planned instead of homemade.
I've seen a pair with the side seams cut out and a crochet mesh inserted. I found a book on customizing clothing at my local library so you might try there for ideas. Check out web catalogs for inspiration. Go to the craft store and check out what's there. I think the possibilities are endless as long as you have the budget for it.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Isabelle

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:35 am
I have a pair of jeans that I accidently ripped near the crotch, so I decorated them sooo much just to distract from the rip. xd
I used embroidery, which takes a long time on denim because of its' thickness. I sewed on some sequins and bead too. And felt _ fabric patches. Basically I just decorated them to create imagery from my favourite song. @___@ I started them in September and they are still not finished, haha!

You can dye jeans with old coffee too, it makes them have that dirty look for sure.

Have you heard of Threadbanger on youtube? They have a ton of great videos for transforming old clothing into something new.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:15 pm
I recomend hanging around on craftster.orgs reconstructed clothing forum for ideas.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=8.0
Its where I get all my best ideas.  

Kiyoshi Masamune

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:00 am
Craftster is a wonderful place to get ideas for just about everything.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:27 pm
I have a pair of jeans that I'm taking in, shortening so that they're capris, and then adding eyelet to the bottoms. I got the idea from an item in the store I work in.  

Sachiko13

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm
I do some small customizations... like turning long jeans into cutoffs, or adding ribbon and/or lace to things. Personally, i prefer to simply make my own cloths rather then customize already made cloths.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 am
heart  

roimabeofan

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:34 pm
I'm currently turning a pair of jeans into a skirt. They fit perfectly, but were a bit to short in the crotch. So when they went on sale for only $5, I decided it was perfect. I took out the inside seams and I'm inserting a panel of red/orange fabrid. I need to finish them. I started on them when only machine avaiable was not so hot, so I'm going to finish them while I'm at home with my moms machine.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:13 pm
bleach, fabirc paint, spray on glitter, tiedye, needle thread, iterfaceing, zippers,chains, fake flowers,anything really domokun  

fishkisser22

MandarinRose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:14 am
I love customizing clothes... I'll see if I can find some good pics later.

My best trick for jeans is actually to cut the legs off halfway and then doing the same to another pair, and promptly switching legs. Since I'm below average height it's a nifty way of making them fit better, without having to fold and stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:38 pm
I do a lot of tailoring and taking in on my shirts. I like my tops to fit nicely and show off my curves, so i take them in, add darts, or add ties. I have one blouse that's about three sizes too big, but it was already pretty tailored (my mom gave it to me after she got bored with it), and I had a pretty white ribbon that came around a pair of pajamas I got for Christmas, so I cut the ribbon in half, sewed it onto the side seams of the shirt, and applied clear nail polish to the cut ends of the ribbons to keep them from fraying in the wash. The other ends were already treated and cut with points, so I didn't have to do anything to them.  

Sachiko13

loves_funeral_song

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:32 pm
Customization is next on my list. Right now, my sewing machine is a tiny little $30 one, and it doesn't do much, and I only just started sewing. Right now, I haven't gotten past sewing throw pillows, LOL.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:51 pm
You can actually cross-stitch any pattern onto clothes.
I've never done this myself, but I've read plenty about it (a while ago, admittedly)! I don't remember any technical terms, or the exact materials needed, but here's the basics:

Temporarily glue a special piece of fabric to the clothes; this fabric has the visible squares you'll need as a template for the cross-stitch pattern.
Cross-stitch your pattern on.
I think the glue dissolves in warm water when you're done; make sure you have the right type of glue.
Carefully pull the special fabric apart from underneath the finished pattern. The edges of the fabric will be frayed; just pull it out strand by strand.
Tada! You have a nice, new pattern or picture cross-stitched onto your clothes.

You may want to look up more specific instructions, but now you have an idea of what it is and how 'hard' it would be.  

Jeayla

Barton Entrepreneur

10,800 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items