Submit

Is this horribly wrong?
  agree
  disagree
  does it really matter?[me:yes >__>]
View Results

Ravynical

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:01 am
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet [I've been a bad guild member and haven't been posting around often] but if not, you might want to check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/faq#.2.1.18

Here's what it says:
Why is the script so different from the book?

Movies and books are two different mediums. Movies are visual and fast; books rely on imagination and can take their time getting to the point. Inner monologues and subtle body language are very hard to pull off in a movie, so they make it dialogue or cut it out entirely. Characters that are expendable are combined and/or cut.

Some characters look different from their book counterparts. This is because casting directors want to see an even representation of races and ethnicities on screen--and the viewers want to see people who look like them, too. If a character's skin tone doesn't have a major effect on their position in the book, chances are it's subject to change.

Now, let me break this down.
I understand the first paragraph. I really do. I just think they're going to use it as an excuse to cut a scene out that we're going to hate them for. But that little answer didn't bother me too much.
The second part - excuse me, WHAT? They're basically saying they could make Jacob a redhead, pale as the moon Irish guy if they wanted. Now, I understand they have the RIGHTS to do it, and probably don't really care either way. It won't make a difference to them. But to us, what can they possibly be thinking?! First of all, I'm sorry, but I'm extremely disappointed in the Edward choice. But I won't go off on that tangent [for now]. I think it's extremely wrong that they think they can change Stephenie Meyer's characters just because it would be seen as racist not to. No, sorry, it wouldn't be racist. It'd just be how the author WANTED it [gasp].

Anyway, this little comment really scares me about how the movie's gonna' be. I really, really hope it doesn't come to completely destroying this movie, but from what I've seen so far it seems kind of likely. What do you guys think?=/  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:58 am
well, the reason it's like that because they can't have bella or any one else like read the book and narrate the movie so they have to change things.
they do that with every book that is made into a movie  

His Midnight Tragedies

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Aqua Anjel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:25 pm
Ravynical
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet [I've been a bad guild member and haven't been posting around often] but if not, you might want to check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/faq#.2.1.18

Here's what it says:
Why is the script so different from the book?

Movies and books are two different mediums. Movies are visual and fast; books rely on imagination and can take their time getting to the point. Inner monologues and subtle body language are very hard to pull off in a movie, so they make it dialogue or cut it out entirely. Characters that are expendable are combined and/or cut.

Some characters look different from their book counterparts. This is because casting directors want to see an even representation of races and ethnicities on screen--and the viewers want to see people who look like them, too. If a character's skin tone doesn't have a major effect on their position in the book, chances are it's subject to change.

Now, let me break this down.
I understand the first paragraph. I really do. I just think they're going to use it as an excuse to cut a scene out that we're going to hate them for. But that little answer didn't bother me too much.
The second part - excuse me, WHAT? They're basically saying they could make Jacob a redhead, pale as the moon Irish guy if they wanted. Now, I understand they have the RIGHTS to do it, and probably don't really care either way. It won't make a difference to them. But to us, what can they possibly be thinking?! First of all, I'm sorry, but I'm extremely disappointed in the Edward choice. But I won't go off on that tangent [for now]. I think it's extremely wrong that they think they can change Stephenie Meyer's characters just because it would be seen as racist not to. No, sorry, it wouldn't be racist. It'd just be how the author WANTED it [gasp].

Anyway, this little comment really scares me about how the movie's gonna' be. I really, really hope it doesn't come to completely destroying this movie, but from what I've seen so far it seems kind of likely. What do you guys think?=/

I've been saying this for a while. From what I have seen and heard, they are sticking VERY close to the movie.

About the characters: For example Eric has been casted as an asian. All though in the book he is not asian, he's not too important in the book so it didn't really matter what his race was.
And I know you used Jacob as an example and I don't know if you know but they are looking for an actual native american for the part.
Also, they say Laurent is going to be black because of his skin described in Twilight. Even though it's debatable anyways, I don't see how it matters. I can see if they were talking about the Cullens being Asian or something, but they're not.

To me, the movie isn't as horrible as everyone's making it out to be. I have complaints too about the characters believe me. But it's not like they're changing their roles of anything. I'm pretty optimistic about the movie....  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:38 am
well said Aqua Anjel =]  

Paris05

o marilyn monrobot o

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:52 am
they wouldn't change jacob. they COULD, yes but it's pretty vital to his character that he's a native american. they also wouldn't change the cullens or bella because obviously they're pale -that's important. it says "If a character's skin tone doesn't have a major effect on their position in the book" and all that means is for instance since eric isn't a huge character & it doesn't matter what his race is, they made him asian.  
The Twilight Movie

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games