Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
How to sew this jacket from scratch

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mindy_does_stuff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 am
I want to make this jacket in black denim lined with leopard.
http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=77674

I know how to make a regular jacket, but i'm unsure about this one. I've never had to make that kind of collar before, and I don't know how to make the zipper off to the side and still have the collar be even on both sides. Anyone done this before?

I want to line the jacket, but I'm unsure how to go about it without having bulky seams showing if I turn it inside out.

Any special accessories I'll need for my machine (such as the singer attachment to allow me to sew with two needles at once for hems)?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:52 am
wow.
there's totally a simplicity pattern for that.
you should look through them, you'll find it.  

Kingyo~goldfish

mindy_does_stuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:43 am
Kingyo~goldfish
wow.
there's totally a simplicity pattern for that.
you should look through them, you'll find it.

I saw one on etsy that was out of print but none currently in print, at least not at my of my craft stores.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 pm
Well, if you have to invent a pattern yourself, the best way to do it is to buy some really cheap farbic (in a solid color, to help you see flaws) to make a mock up. I'd start with a standard coat pattern thats similar, if you can't find that pattern. Simply adjust one of the side flaps to be longer, so it crosses over the midline of the body. Your going to need a long zipper, since that one goes all the way up the collar.

Once you get a mock up that works, tear it apart and use it as a mock up. That way, you wont ruin your good fabric.

I'm sure I'd have more to add, but my week is hectic in a rather bad way. Sorry.  

Silver Mist

Kiyoshi Masamune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:13 pm
I have totally seen jackets like that on craftster.org before. zombie- teeth did one once.
I think they may have had tutorials,

User Image
I got that from this thread here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=139844.msg1524002;topicseen#msg1524002  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:33 am
Kiyoshi Masamune
I have totally seen jackets like that on craftster.org before. zombie- teeth did one once.
I think they may have had tutorials,

User Image
I got that from this thread here
]http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=139844.msg1524002;topicseen#msg1524002

I saw that months ago. It's a reconstruction. I need to make it from scratch.  

mindy_does_stuff

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:37 pm
Okay as crazy as it sounds I actually know what you're going to want to do. First of all you are going to want all the notions that are going to be needed for your final product. Second since you do want to line it you are going to need 3 types of fabric, first you need muslin to create a mock up of the coat you want to create, then you need your outer fabric for the coat, I'd recommend a thicker canvas like material for this project, third you need a very lightweight fabric to use as your lining. The next thing you need is a coat that fits you like you want this to that you don't care about. It doesn't matter what the coat really looks like as long as it fits you like you want this one to and you don't care about it. Make a post on here once you've got the coat and a good large chunk of muslin at least.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:02 am
I found a tute on punkrockdomestics.com and formed the shape on my packing tape torso form

thanks!  

mindy_does_stuff

Kingyo~goldfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am
I just realized how much that jacket costs on that site.
Not only is the price ridiculous, but the versions on there look cheap and very tacky.
A homesewn version would be MUCH better.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games