Reply Buying and Advice
Help me with a rifle?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:05 pm
Well I want a good rifle. Ideally something capable of being accurate out to 500 yards or so but at a moderate price range and in a common caliber like 5.56 NATO, 7.62x39, or .223 Remington.

But with the threat of another (D)yke president, I think it might be better for me to get an AK-clone and a bunch of mags. And I could find one pretty cheap for between $350 and $450.

What are your suggestions?

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, I got this email forwarded to me with a picture of an iceberg from top to bottom. Quite awesome. Here's the text...

"EVER SEE AN ICEBERG FROM TOP TO BOTTOM?

This is awesome! This came from a Rig Manager for Global Marine Drilling in St. Johns , Newfoundland . They actually have to divert the path of these things away from the rig by towing them with ships! In this particular case the water was calm, & the sun was almost directly overhead so that the diver was able to get into the water and click this pic. Clear water huh? They estimated the weight at 300,000,000 tons. And now we know why they say one picture is worth 1000 words... One of God's great wonders!"

and here's the picture:

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:34 pm
The Stg-2000c is a nice AK clone capable of 1.5in groups or less at 100 yards, and it's in your price range.

I'd rather have an AR-15 of some sort, but AKs are cheaper.  

lance vahari

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:10 pm
boogiemonster
The Stg-2000c is a nice AK clone capable of 1.5in groups or less at 100 yards, and it's in your price range.

I'd rather have an AR-15 of some sort, but AKs are cheaper.

I'll have to look into that.

Yeah, visually I prefer the AR-15s, but along with cost I'm not totally sold on the 5.56/.223 Rem. And supposedly they're prone to problems in less than ideal environments.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 pm
The STG-2000 is a good buy. Any of the sturdier AK clones are good buys. I'm a tad biased(because I like Yugo guns), but a Yugo is extremely durable and sturdy, even compared to a regular AK.

The AR-15 is a good buy as well. A lot of those reliability problems come from people who use them wrong. Used and maintained properly, they're great. Buying a cav arms lower and the other parts from del-ton is a good way to save a lot of money and still have a top-notch AR(better than a Bushmaster for less money).  

lazycommie

lance vahari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:33 am
lazycommie
The STG-2000 is a good buy. Any of the sturdier AK clones are good buys. I'm a tad biased(because I like Yugo guns), but a Yugo is extremely durable and sturdy, even compared to a regular AK.

The AR-15 is a good buy as well. A lot of those reliability problems come from people who use them wrong. Used and maintained properly, they're great. Buying a cav arms lower and the other parts from del-ton is a good way to save a lot of money and still have a top-notch AR(better than a Bushmaster for less money).

I like RRA uppers, they're top-notch and very affordable.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 am
StG-2000?
... I'm sold.  

OberFeldwebel

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:18 pm
Yeah, if you want accuracy, I'd say go with the AR, the AK is better at close ranges because it's got a harder hitting round (depends on if it's an AK-74 or an AK 47)

It all depends on the situation.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 am
boogiemonster
lazycommie

I like RRA uppers, they're top-notch and very affordable.
Rock River cuts deals to junior shooters. I got a full kit for $800, but just after they kicked it up to $900. Haven't heard it change since then, but that's not too shabby for a brand new rifle.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Sabotabby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:58 am
Around here everyone has an AR. So that was a big reason for the Bushmaster purchase. The person next to you falls and you have extra parts and ammo. I hate to sound cruel but the way things look its something to think about.  
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games