Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Fuzzy puppy yarn

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I crazy for doing this?
  totally insane
  your insane, but it sounds fun
  not crazy at all- the idea is awesome
View Results

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:28 am
K, so my neighbor has a dog thats part chow-chow. His fur is on average 2-5 inches long when its shaved off for the summer. My neighbor offered to keep it for me so I could use it when spinning. Since I'm allergic to wool, I was thinking of combing in the fiber with alpaca.

Any thoughts?

Whats the best way to comb the two fibers together? Do I want to buy the alpaca as roving or a bat?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:41 pm
YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT THAT POOR DOG IS RUNNING AROUND NAKED eek  

fishkisser22

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:03 pm
Oh, my, no. At least judging on what I've heard about dog hair spinning... it tends to be very heavy and very warm. I wouldn't recommend blending it with alpaca just because alpaca is another very warm fiber.

But then again, I'm no blending expert. Maybe consult with one of the spinning/fiber prep groups on Ravelry?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:02 am
I'm not that concerned that the yarn would be to warm. I tend to spin very thin and crochet with large holes. (Comes from living where I do- the tempurature changes very quickly around this place).

I plan on using the yarn to make scarves and maybe mittens- if I get my knitting to snuff, that is. I don't much like crocheted mittens. I want to make a set for me, since I cross campus in the coldest part of winter very, very often. And a set for the puppies owner, since she walks her dogs in the woods every day, no matter what.  

Silver Mist

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:37 pm
Oh, okay. It might work out fine for smaller items like that. I've just read horror stories about dog hair sweaters. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 pm
no.
NO.
haven't you ever heard the story of the woman who spun with dog fur and made a sweater?
OH COME ON.
it's infamous in knitting circles.
It will end badly, believe you me.
It's not an urban legend, either- it is FACT.
whatever you do, never get the yarn wet.
the smell will be iriversable after that.

Dog fur releases oils that can irritate skin
after time AND once wet, the texture is ruined (it is the dogs saliva that gets it back into shape after a shower-I assume you won't be licking your item?)
and-
oh my god
I just...
NOT ALL FURS ARE EQUAL.
Not everythign should be spun with.
that's all I can say, because you have me so flustered.

Kingyo~goldfish

Tolanna Birdsong

Dapper Noob

1,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:22 pm
I saw something like this on TV... This lady would take the fur from dogs and spin it and make things out of it. Like, she made a small purse for someone who had this really puffy dog. I wish I remembered where I saw it... either on the DIY channel or HGTV...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 pm
There's nothing wrong with spinning with pet hair. Here's a link to a company that does it for you...
http://www.vipfibers.com/

Some one also wrote a book on it, though it's hard to find a copy...
http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Its-Made-Dogs-Fur/dp/0963973614

It won't end up badly either, if you do it right. I'm not familiar with the process, but I'm sure that cleaning the fiber is part of the process. Let us know if you try it, I'm interested in seeing what it turns out like! heart domokun heart  

damnatio memoriae

Dapper Dabbler

12,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items