Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Media

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm
hi everyone,
this is just asking people for a few ideas, i have a 15 page paper coming up, the teacher gave me the topic "the effect media has had on world culture, post wwII".
this is what i have so far:
1. watergate
2. yellow journalism
3. "journalists without borders"
3. iraq and journalism
4. the book "the jungle"
and that's pretty much it. The problem is we aren't allowed to use the internet or encyclopedias. Don't ask me what info i already have on these topics, but my problem is that i'm not going wide enough, i'm limited to the u.s., and i can't think of anything else outside, that's where i need help. Any help please? by the way, i know that i probably shouldn't be asking for help on my hw, but if no one really minds helping me out, i figured it wouldn't do much harm....  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:13 pm
Ooohh....that's a little advanced for me. I'd look up stuff for you, but that's probably cheating sweatdrop

But...post WWII they had radios and then television, right? That counts as media.  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Alonso Quijana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:07 am
You said you were limited to the U.S., try this one.

What about the suspension of truth in many communist countries due to the fact that they wanted to paint themselves in a better light?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:34 am
gnomeguy1138
You said you were limited to the U.S., try this one.

What about the suspension of truth in many communist countries due to the fact that they wanted to paint themselves in a better light?

yea, that's what journalists without borders is. it's journalists helping out and supporting censored journalists in communist or war countries.....such as cuba and russia....  

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100

Skizio
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:49 pm
How about...how the media helped fuel the consumer culture?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:37 am
Quote:

yea, that's what journalists without borders is. it's journalists helping out and supporting censored journalists in communist or war countries.....such as cuba and russia....

Oh, sorry about that. I've just never heard that term before.  

Alonso Quijana

Kazemuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 am
using namespace std;
int main ()
{

Oh, well, you've always got Rosser Reeves and the television advertising boom, the HUAC and anti-communist propaganda. The Kennedy-Nixon debate, is another--this introduced the court of public opinion into politics. (That is, those who watched the televised debate almost unanimously said that Kennedy won, whilst those who listened to it on the radio said that the victor was Nixon. This was largely due to the fact that Kennedy had spent the days prior to the debate vacationing, whilst Nixon was campaigning, and subsequently came down with the flu. Because of this, during the debate, Kennedy looked refreshed, vibrant, lively, and Nixon looked quite sickly in comparison.) 1950s conformity was another--you had these public service announcements telling you to 'do what the popular kids do.' You had the media painting this perfect picture of a family that was adopted almost religiously.

Outside of the United States in the Eastern Bloc countries, you could speak of the massive censorship due to the political hierarchy. You could also speak of the Vietnam and Korean Wars and compare and contrast the two, for Vietnam was the first 'televised' war, if you will. It was the first time that the American populous was able to actually get a good idea for what was going on overseas and made a lot of people realise that, "Hey! Our government might by lying to us!" It really led to the distrust between many people and the government that you see nowadays.

And wasn't Upton Sinclair pre-WWII? I thought he published The Jungle around 1905.

return 0;
}

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:48 pm
gnomeguy1138
Quote:

Oh, sorry about that. I've just never heard that term before.

it's alright, thanks anyway though  

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:02 pm
Kazemuki
using namespace std;
int main ()
{

Oh, well, you've always got Rosser Reeves and the television advertising boom, the HUAC and anti-communist propaganda. The Kennedy-Nixon debate, is another--this introduced the court of public opinion into politics. (That is, those who watched the televised debate almost unanimously said that Kennedy won, whilst those who listened to it on the radio said that the victor was Nixon. This was largely due to the fact that Kennedy had spent the days prior to the debate vacationing, whilst Nixon was campaigning, and subsequently came down with the flu. Because of this, during the debate, Kennedy looked refreshed, vibrant, lively, and Nixon looked quite sickly in comparison.) 1950s conformity was another--you had these public service announcements telling you to 'do what the popular kids do.' You had the media painting this perfect picture of a family that was adopted almost religiously.

Outside of the United States in the Eastern Bloc countries, you could speak of the massive censorship due to the political hierarchy. You could also speak of the Vietnam and Korean Wars and compare and contrast the two, for Vietnam was the first 'televised' war, if you will. It was the first time that the American populous was able to actually get a good idea for what was going on overseas and made a lot of people realise that, "Hey! Our government might by lying to us!" It really led to the distrust between many people and the government that you see nowadays.

And wasn't Upton Sinclair pre-WWII? I thought he published The Jungle around 1905.

return 0;
}

wow, thanks, those are a lot of great ideas...and your right about the jungle, for some reason i had the impression that it was more recent, unfortunately i was sorely mistaken. And in your last sentence you say that the media painted a picture of a almost perfect family, that might be true, but don't you feel that the media has also helped in devaluating family values. once the world got smaller, childrens knowledge got larger, but that may not always be positive knowledge, the message of violence became more wide spread with aggresive movies, that prove to be role models for the young. After all, media has made this world a lot smaller than it was a century ago....  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:04 pm
Andhun the Wind Thrower
How about...how the media helped fuel the consumer culture?

what do you mean by that? advertisement?  

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100

Kazemuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:37 pm
using namespace std;
int main ()
{

luvSimpson3
wow, thanks, those are a lot of great ideas...and your right about the jungle, for some reason i had the impression that it was more recent, unfortunately i was sorely mistaken. And in your last sentence you say that the media painted a picture of a almost perfect family, that might be true, but don't you feel that the media has also helped in devaluating family values. once the world got smaller, childrens knowledge got larger, but that may not always be positive knowledge, the message of violence became more wide spread with aggresive movies, that prove to be role models for the young. After all, media has made this world a lot smaller than it was a century ago....

Well, I mean, it depends on the era. When television first became a popular form of entertainment in the 1950s, we were in a period of strict conformity, so the media painted this beautiful picture of the 'ideal family.' But then, as we progress, we slowly start to see a more violent, desensitized image; we now have shows like The Real Housewives of Orange County and Wife Swap, and these horrid, humiliating shows such as Dr. Phil, too many TV court shows to count, game shows such as Moment of Truth, and more. We went from a small, central family life to parents and children hardly interacting.

A good thing to talk about, actually, might be this very transition and how it was prompted and directed by the media; how the two fueled each other--as values became secondary, the media became less censored, thus fueling the devaluation of morals and family standards, which in turn bolstered the media, and so on, and so on.

return 0;
}

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:16 am
Kazemuki
using namespace std;
int main ()
{

luvSimpson3

Well, I mean, it depends on the era. When television first became a popular form of entertainment in the 1950s, we were in a period of strict conformity, so the media painted this beautiful picture of the 'ideal family.' But then, as we progress, we slowly start to see a more violent, desensitized image; we now have shows like The Real Housewives of Orange County and Wife Swap, and these horrid, humiliating shows such as Dr. Phil, too many TV court shows to count, game shows such as Moment of Truth, and more. We went from a small, central family life to parents and children hardly interacting.

A good thing to talk about, actually, might be this very transition and how it was prompted and directed by the media; how the two fueled each other--as values became secondary, the media became less censored, thus fueling the devaluation of morals and family standards, which in turn bolstered the media, and so on, and so on.

return 0;
}

true, like the experiment of the frog in the boiling water, we have been exposed to degraded television for so long and in such small doses over time, that we are now in boiling water, without the sense to come out. Back then, kids would have surely shunned the type of media small children are now exposed to.  

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:38 pm
idon't watch tv because it all filled with pro-american 9/11 propaganda  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff