Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Help on Microsoft Word, please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I try to tone down or not?
  Sure. Everyone needs to read it. Just don't tone it down too much
  No. You shouldn't have to lower yourself or the paper. They can't read it, tough.
  Gold....I mean, I'm not voting for the gold...of course not....-snatch-
View Results

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:43 am
I am typing a report for my Social Inequality class that may or may not be published, according to my professor. (When I say published, what I mean is not only for academic research, but possibly the mass media as well).

Why, every time I check the document, does MS Word say the readability is only at 8th grade? Is there anything I can do to improve my paper, and boost up the level? Just what is the determining factor for readability on MS Word? If anyone could tell me, it'd be a great help.

I am concerned about the readability level for several reasons. It's probably not a good idea to go anything below 12th grade level for the college paper, but at the same time, I live in an area where the good amount of the populace would likely have to ask their kids to read it to them.

Basically what I'm asking is this: For the sake of possible general readers, should I tone it down, keep it at 8th grade, or try to strive for a higher reading level? I appreciate any help you all will give.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:07 pm
the reading "grade" in MS Word is it's readability, not the school grade level. ^ ^

the lower the grade, the better it reads, and it determines this by how many letters you have in a word on average, and how long the sentences are. the longer the words and the sentences are, the lower you grade will be.

Hope that helped!!!  

Toxicated Cuppycakes

Tipsy Lunatic

6,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100

DontKicktheBrit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:17 pm
I'd have someone else read it over for you; give it some fresh eyes. Good luck.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 pm
Toxicated Cookie
the reading "grade" in MS Word is it's readability, not the school grade level. ^ ^

the lower the grade, the better it reads, and it determines this by how many letters you have in a word on average, and how long the sentences are. the longer the words and the sentences are, the lower you grade will be.

Hope that helped!!!

Oh, I see. Thanks for the help. ^^  

Patron with a Mission

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 am
DontKicktheBrit
I'd have someone else read it over for you; give it some fresh eyes. Good luck.

Thanks...with my topic, I'll need it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm
Sounds interesting...what are you writing about?  

ChibiStarlet

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:47 pm
ChibiStarlet
Sounds interesting...what are you writing about?

My topic is the border wall that is to be placed along the U.S-Mexican border, specifically in the lower Texas area, and how it will affect culture and social equality.

It's interesting indeed. I don't mean to spark arguments, by the way, so please don't start any, my dear friends and fellow members of this guild.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games