Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
Promised Land Duel Cards Rules

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:58 pm
This will be made nicer looking and clarified for the public release.

So, what kinds of cards are there?

There are 4 types of cards.

Leaders - This is the main dude (or dudette) of your deck. He/She summons creatures, determines how big your deck can be, and has special abilities. When your leader dies, you lose the game. The objective is to kill your enemy's leader. Your leader dwells in the back lines, and under most circumstances all of your buildings and creatures must be defeated your leader can be attacked.

Creatures - The bulk of your army (unless you play a special deck or something). These are usually summoned by your leader. There are 2 main types of creatures For the most part creatures are on the front line, and under most conditions all of the enemy's creatures must be destroyed or neutralized before you can attack their buildings/leader.

- Generic Creatures: These are your average units. When they are killed they cannot be brought back. You may have as many of these in your deck as points allow (unless the card says otherwise)

- Hero Creatures: These are unique units who are typically stronger than generic creatures and can have abilities. Heroes can be equipped with items to boost their power, and upon death enter your graveyard. Some cards may have the ability to resurrect a hero, and some heroes may have self reviving powers.

Buildings - These cards form your base. On the field of battle they are between your creatures and your leader. Buildings often times will support your army, or boost your summoning point income. Some buildings, like walls for example only exist to create a barrier between your enemy and your leader.

"Spell" Cards - These are all the other cards. Spell is a generic term, but these cards can range from actual spells, to items, to events or environmental changes.

Ok. That's cool, but how many cards can I have? 60? 50?

There is no set number. According to what leader you have, you'll have a set number of points for your deck. If your leader has 500 points for example, then you can have 500 points worth of cards. All cards have a point value, so be careful when constructing your deck! Some leaders will have extra points for cards of a certain kind... for example a villain leader may have 100 extra points for villain cards, those 100 extra points can only be for villains.

Sounds pretty neat so far... but if we're on a forum how do we draw? Can't people cheat?

No, the game is set up so that there is no luck involved. You choose which cards to play at the start of your turn.

But how many cards can I play per turn?

According to your leader you will earn a certain number of "summoning points" each turn. You can also think of this like your main resource in a real time strategy game. Every card will have a number of summoning points required to play it. Your leftover points do cumulate, so if you want to save up to summon a stronger card, or many weaker ones, you may do so. Some cards, especially those with a low summoning cost may only allow you to summon a limited number per turn.

Ok, now that I know about all of that, let's get to fighting!

After you have finished summoning you may enter the battle phase of your turn. During this time you are only allowed to attack. You can attack with as many of your creatures as you wish, and you do not have to attack with all of them. In most situations you must defeat the enemy's creatures first to attack their buildings, and you cannot attack their leader until everything else is defeated.

Most creatures will have 2 stats - HP and Attack. HP stands for health points. When a creature's HP reaches 0 it dies. Attack is how strong your attacks are. When you attack a creature you remove HP from it = to your attack. Some creatures have damage reduction to lessen their injuries. You do not counterattack unless the card has an ability to do so.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 pm
So let's see if I understand this...
nitnit
This will be made nicer looking and clarified for the public release.

So, what kinds of cards are there?

There are 4 types of cards.

Leaders - This is the main dude (or dudette) of your deck. He/She summons creatures, determines how big your deck can be, and has special abilities. When your leader dies, you lose the game. The objective is to kill your enemy's leader. Your leader dwells in the back lines, and under most circumstances all of your buildings and creatures must be defeated your leader can be attacked.

This is cool; it kinda-sorta reminds me of how the DBZ card game is set up. Will there be progression as the game goes on, or will it be a static value?

Creatures - The bulk of your army (unless you play a special deck or something). These are usually summoned by your leader. There are 2 main types of creatures For the most part creatures are on the front line, and under most conditions all of the enemy's creatures must be destroyed or neutralized before you can attack their buildings/leader.

- Generic Creatures: These are your average units. When they are killed they cannot be brought back. You may have as many of these in your deck as points allow (unless the card says otherwise)

- Hero Creatures: These are unique units who are typically stronger than generic creatures and can have abilities. Heroes can be equipped with items to boost their power, and upon death enter your graveyard. Some cards may have the ability to resurrect a hero, and some heroes may have self reviving powers.

Sorta reminds me of MTG basic and legendary creatures; will the same rule for heroes apply here or will a seniority rule be applied? Will both sides be allowed to use the same heroes at the same time?

Buildings - These cards form your base. On the field of battle they are between your creatures and your leader. Buildings often times will support your army, or boost your summoning point income. Some buildings, like walls for example only exist to create a barrier between your enemy and your leader.

Maybe I haven't played enough card games, but I believe this to be a unique move. I'm guessing that they are either determined by a different value than summon points or are outrageously expensive. Either that, or there are basic structures that are cheap that everyone can use.

"Spell" Cards - These are all the other cards. Spell is a generic term, but these cards can range from actual spells, to items, to events or environmental changes.

Kinda sounds like early MTG, with interrupts and global enchantments. Also has a touch of duel monsters field spells, which makes sense.

Ok. That's cool, but how many cards can I have? 60? 50?

There is no set number. According to what leader you have, you'll have a set number of points for your deck. If your leader has 500 points for example, then you can have 500 points worth of cards. All cards have a point value, so be careful when constructing your deck! Some leaders will have extra points for cards of a certain kind... for example a villain leader may have 100 extra points for villain cards, those 100 extra points can only be for villains.

Alright, here is where I need questions answered. Obviously, every character is going have their own advantages and disadvantages, but to develope some type of balance within the system I need to know average summon points, deck values, and stamina.

Sounds pretty neat so far... but if we're on a forum how do we draw? Can't people cheat?

No, the game is set up so that there is no luck involved. You choose which cards to play at the start of your turn.

But how many cards can I play per turn?

According to your leader you will earn a certain number of "summoning points" each turn. You can also think of this like your main resource in a real time strategy game. Every card will have a number of summoning points required to play it. Your leftover points do cumulate, so if you want to save up to summon a stronger card, or many weaker ones, you may do so. Some cards, especially those with a low summoning cost may only allow you to summon a limited number per turn.

Ok, now that I know about all of that, let's get to fighting!

After you have finished summoning you may enter the battle phase of your turn. During this time you are only allowed to attack. You can attack with as many of your creatures as you wish, and you do not have to attack with all of them. In most situations you must defeat the enemy's creatures first to attack their buildings, and you cannot attack their leader until everything else is defeated.

Most creatures will have 2 stats - HP and Attack. HP stands for health points. When a creature's HP reaches 0 it dies. Attack is how strong your attacks are. When you attack a creature you remove HP from it = to your attack. Some creatures have damage reduction to lessen their injuries. You do not counterattack unless the card has an ability to do so.

Sounds similar to just about every other TCG, but I have one question; will it play out like magic and the ilk, with a second main phase before the end of turn, or will it play like pokemon, with the turn ending immediately after your attack.

Tyhoon

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:22 am
- If by progression you mean that sets become more powerful, no. Obviously there will be some leaders who are rarer and stronger than others, but at different "tiers" if you will, the leaders will hopefully be balanced (so a very rare leader from an early set will still be = to a very rare leader from a newer set). Instead of pulling a yugioh/MTG/most card games and whipping out cards that are generally more overpowered, I plan/hope to simply offer new and different strategies.

- I had in mind that both sides could theoretically use the same heroes

- I've tried to make most of this as unique as possible to be honest (I don't play that many card games). Some buildings will be cheap, and won't be as useful, while others may be very expensive and gamechanging (much like creatures/heroes/spells)

- There are no interrupts/instants since everything happens within your turn. Spell is a broad term that covers everything that isn't a building/creature, like items, or actual spells, or "events" if you will.

- That's the biggest thing we need to decide.

- I'm pretty sure we're going to go with the attack phase as the final phase since you take your turn in one post, and the opponent takes his in the next.  
Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games