Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling
No Projectiles - the future of brawl?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:19 pm
As many of you may know, camping has become one of the most dominant strategies in brawl. Some people embrace it, some people hate it, and some people only use it when they get pissed off and want to win. For the most part, camping is when you sit on the side of the stage spamming your projectile until your enemy gets close to you to stop it, and you then either shield throw, or simply smash them.

While this strategy can be countered by skillful players, and a select few strategies, a skillful player who camps is a very annoying and deadly force. The best camping characters are (from what I've seen, might be missing a few and in no particular order) Snake, Falco, Pit, Wolf, Fox, Pikachu, Toon Link, Link, and ROB.

There are a few match ups that defeat camping, like Ness/Lucas can beat the spacies by absorbing their projectiles for example, or some characters can reflect the projectiles, but some characters, especially slower ones like Ike are devastated by well played campers.

So, there are a few options. #1 - Just live with it. Eventually strategies may form to soundly beat camping. #2 - Ban camping - this is difficult to do since you have to define what exactly camping is. #3 - Ban Projectiles. If you can't use your projectile, then you can't really camp.

Also, if anyone has doubts about how annoying camping is, try using a character without means to counter the camping (about 50% of the games characters) and face me or jon using wolf or pikachu on a neutral tourny stage.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 pm
Meh, I try to deal with it. A very annoying strategy indeed, but can be dealt with.  

horneldiablo

Harrison Richardson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:46 pm
A world without Zelda's Din's Fire? That is a grim world.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:50 pm
I imagine that maybe some projectiles that are less spammable would be allowed.  

nitnit
Captain

Harrison Richardson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:09 pm
Din's Fire is a spammable edge guard. That's one reason it's awesome.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:56 pm
Played against a din's fire spammer today, holy s**t that was annoying.  

nitnit
Captain

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:46 am
when i go to my friends house and his friend is ther we all play brawl and my friends brother does to. when im pit i camp out cuz my friend and his friend like teaming up on his little brother  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 pm
I find Snake, Pit, ROB, Falco, Zelda, Wolf, and Pikachu to be the best all out defensive campers, in that order.  

nitnit
Captain

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:13 pm
some people use it some people cant stand it  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 pm
some people say im good with pikachu and i dont spam his moves because it has no strategy involved. and it gets very boring after a while and you dont make many friends that way.  

Iceman137

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm
i guess people hate that  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:56 am
nitnit
I find Snake, Pit, ROB, Falco, Zelda, Wolf, and Pikachu to be the best all out defensive campers, in that order.

I think it's really situational stage wise. Take the mario bros. stage, it is clearly dominated by pit. Where port town is probably snake's playground.  

Psychoace

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm
i couldnt believe pit's shield can block melee attacks, thats why i use him for camping but it dont stay up long  
Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games