hate people
  ya
  nope
View Results

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:20 pm
Mina
I believe she's been in the scene for a long time, so I'd hope she'd be able to name some albums.

Would you say that modern "emo" is not unlike pop-punk, in that it's new following and style isn't really indicative of it's namesake?

Yeah, she seems to be well in-the-know in her pages. I simply didn't agree with her views on what-makes-the-goth (but sadly, there is yet to be a unified definition).

I generally just call it pop-punk, or post-hardcore. While there may be legitimate emotive hardcore bands currently functioning, I refuse to call said pop-punk/post-hardcore "emo".  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Mina
I'm not really sure what you're saying. Are you responding to me? I'm agreeing. This is a forum where a label is applied, and we use it to identify with a sub-culture we enjoy and are apart of. If someone says, "well, labels don't matter anyway," apart from several misused adjectives and/or insults, I responded, asking why are they in a forum where a label is integral. You don't search for Gaia guilds to join with feelings and sunshine, you use a term or "label," to find something such as "goth," because the word defines many things that you identify with or enjoy.

Labels aren't bad. They're not good, either. They're a neutral facet of language used to categorize something. Many young people are bitter about them because they can be used too freely or harshly (or incorrectly) in a less-than-intellectual environment (such as high school). However, they are necessary for basic communication.
Well now that you've made your self clear, you've proven my comment to be worthless for my purpose.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 am
Mina
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=86 An informed, and less catty opinion on the subject.

Emo is a different subculture. Instead of being bristly about the subject and continuing stereotypes (goths are just moody? What?), do some research and correct someone politely if they label you incorrectly.

That's a great site.  
Spam / Gaming - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces