Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
trouble with anti wiccan friends

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suelette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:03 pm
oooo k sweatdrop
so my mum has this friend who is (if possible) even more devout than she is, and she knows that I've been interested in Wicca in the past.
So everytime she comes to visit she gives me a HUGE anti Wiccan lecture, telling me abou how I'll go to hell when I die and how God doesnt love me and all the usual stuff. Now part of me wants to sit her down with a huge amount of info and show her all the wonderful things about Wicca. But I need some advice, should I do that,
or
should I just sit back and listen to her anti-everythingIlove lectures and be happy in knowing that I still believe what I want to?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 pm
If you know that she will never change her mind, no matter what you tell her, or show her - then it would probably be best not to say anything and just do the old "smile and nod", and then thank her politely for her concern. If you think that she might in anyway be open, then you can try to fill her in on the truth, but it sounds to me like it may be a lost cause.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Philod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:53 pm
I must say that I am with toosweet on this one.

I have come across people such as this in my own life, and it is usually best to take the 'smile and nod' approach.

It is important to choose your battles wisely. This friend of your mom's is a prime example of a battle that is not worth fighting.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:17 am
I agree. Nothing you say is going to change her mind, so why waste your energy? You know she's wrong, that's all that matters.  

Rowan MacGregor

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:02 pm
Suelette
oooo k sweatdrop
so my mum has this friend who is (if possible) even more devout than she is, and she knows that I've been interested in Wicca in the past.
So everytime she comes to visit she gives me a HUGE anti Wiccan lecture, telling me abou how I'll go to hell when I die and how God doesnt love me and all the usual stuff.

Your Mum, er Mom, sits and lets her do this?

If it's really bothering you, this is probably something you need to talk about your mother to. I mean, it is her friend, and if you say something in your defense, for the more, ah, traditionalist type of views, it might come off as seeming disrespectful. I mean, I might not agree with everything my child wants to 'believe' in, but I'll be damned if I sit there and let someone preach to my kid in front of me, telling them how to live their lives while *I* am the parent.

However, your mother should probably be aware of your feelings about the whole situation. If she's just as Anti- as the friend, well, best to keep your mouth shut and disappear somewhere suddenly.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:41 am
I say give it the old smile and nod lol.
I go to a catholic school and just keep my head down. My mum and dad don't even know...if they do they ignore it  

doistu

Verbeley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:56 am
I agree with too2sweet, so people won't change their minds despite all the good arguments you wil give.

Mea  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:03 pm
I agree. Look at it this way, what you are talking about doing is exactly what she thinks she is doing to you. Has it worked? Obviously not so it probably won't work on her either. If you can talk to your mom about it please do, if you can't then you may have to weather the lectures for awhile. If you are secure in your faith then it shouldn't matter what others say to you about it. Many Christians feel that they have a responsibility to "save" others and lead them to the Christian path. Most pagans don't feel that way. It's a huge clash in all honesty and leads to many arguments and hurt feelings. Understanding that if they are someone who truly cares about you that their intentions are good if misguided will help a lot with letting it slide.  

Lotus Poem

Mariah Clark Rocks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 pm
I say that there is no harm in talking to her. Don't get angry or yell, or she'll have won the battle. Ask her why she thinks that way. When she says things, try and prove her points wrong.

Some things might be:
-Witches go to hell: Quote a couple of scriptures, saying that God and Jesus loves everyone. Oh and talk about how you can't go to hell because you don't believe in it.
-You're satanis: wiccans don't believe in satan!

Talk about how wicca isn't evil, we believe in Karma and such.

If you can't her to approve, at least show her that you're serious about it and that you're not evil. Hopefully, she can at least shut up.

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:11 am
Mariah Clark Rocks
I say that there is no harm in talking to her. Don't get angry or yell, or she'll have won the battle. Ask her why she thinks that way. When she says things, try and prove her points wrong.

Some things might be:
-Witches go to hell: Quote a couple of scriptures, saying that God and Jesus loves everyone. Oh and talk about how you can't go to hell because you don't believe in it.

If you can't her to approve, at least show her that you're serious about it and that you're not evil. Hopefully, she can at least shut up.

Good luck!

I disagree: Wiccans certainly do believe in the Christian Hell. It's in the Ardanes.

There is some evidence that Pan's image was co-opted into the construct of Satan. Pan, in many ways, is Satan, even if you choose not to believe medieval Church propaganda.

Wicca does not promote beliefs, let alone a specific belief in Karma. Karma is an eastern concept, very different from the bastardized version espoused in the West, and it has no place in Wicca.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Angelbaby In Love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:38 am
Morgandria
Mariah Clark Rocks

Some things might be:

Good luck!

I disagree: Wiccans certainly do believe in the Christian Hell. It's in the Ardanes.

There is some evidence that Pan's image was co-opted into the construct of Satan. Pan, in many ways, is Satan, even if you choose not to believe medieval Church propaganda.

Wicca does not promote beliefs, let alone a specific belief in Karma. Karma is an eastern concept, very different from the bastardized version espoused in the West, and it has no place in Wicca.

Some of us believe in the Christian Hell and others of us do not, it depends on your belief system. And we may not use the word karma, but that is what we believe, do what ye will, comes back to thee. That's what karma is. But back on topic, I agree with too2sweet that that woman probably won't listen to you, but it is ultimatley up to you if you are going to "battle" with her.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games