Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling
Repeating Moves - Not a n00b tactic.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:31 pm
Spamming moves. There is a difference between using the same moves repeatedly, and spamming them, but often times we blur this line.

For quite some time JONNN and I have accused one another of spamming moves too much.

Once, Deathguiser threw a fit on the GPL chatbox when I beat him since he felt I spammed some moves too much.

For a while I thought that spamming moves was a n00b thing, and felt insulted.

However, lately, I've noticed that the game's mechanics encourage you to use the same moves to rack up damage.

As some of you may know, the game's attacks feature "diminishing returns". The more you use an attack, it has less knockback. If you play a character who has only a few moves that can easily KO enemies at high percentages (most actually), then using these killing moves places you at a disadvantage. The counters do reset after a number of other attacks, and when you die however.

Take Wolf for example (since I main him, and know a lot about him). His moves that can easily kill are his smash attacks. That's about it.

His forward smash is one of his best moves to gain ground safely, and is easy to connect. It is typically used to rack up damage because of this. His up smash is situational, thus leaving his down smash to be one of his best killing moves.

If I were to go out of my way to use all of wolf's techniques, as in to show more "skill" and not be a "spammer", then all of them would wear out. After getting my opponent up to 100%+ damage, using that smash attack wouldn't garner nearly as strong a result as if I had weakened my opponent with normal attacks/throws/blaster.

This can be applied even more so to characters like Metaknight. Dedede, Snake, Bowser, Ike, and others who have some very strong attacks don't need to worry so much about this, but those who are not blessed with extremely powerful killing moves have to keep their diminishing returns in mind.

So, then what is spamming? In my opinion when someone spams a move, they continiously do it unskilled. However, if you lose to someone who is spamming a move, then that makes you an idiot. Why? Simply put, you should be able to figure out how to get around randomly spammed projectiles, or an attack.

In short - Don't whine about someone using the same moves over and over. It's often times a good idea to try to save your stronger moves for killing, and if you can't figure out to press the shield button, or do a dodge, then you're an idiot.  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:35 pm
Also, from smash boards:

Attack Power Decay
This game "punishes" the repeated use of the same attack by decreasing BOTH the DAMAGE and KNOCKBACK a move does.

Attack Queue
The game keeps track of this by having an "Attack Queue" where it remembers the last 9 (although it may be 10 -- best I can tell it's only 9 though) attacks that you landed on your opponent. If your attacks are getting weaker than you would like, just hit with several other attacks, and then your other moves will soon be back to full strength.

Decay Amount
A move has a base damage and Knockback. It then counts the number of times that move is in the attack queue, and has an exponential decay that it applies to the strength. The current formula I have found seems to be pretty accurate:
damage dealt = [94.424e^(-0.0991x)] * (base damage)
where x is the # of times that move is in the attack queue.

The earlier in the queue this attack is, the less it impacts the decay, although the earliest it can be in the queue makes less than a 10% difference than if it were the last attack landed.  

nitnit
Captain

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:44 pm
my friends tell me i spam pit's arrows but i called it strategy  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:34 pm
I think you're exaggerating the effects of decay, but I agree with everything.

Also note camping =/= spamming. And a good player should be able to get around campy characters. (I can't sad ) So there is really should be no complaining after a loss.

/Ironic and contradicting post is ironic and contradicting.  

Jonnnn

Pachulo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:57 pm
Thats just a scapegoat for when you lose.

All my friends play on a Different way one of my friends who is really good, camps like a champ with Pikachu, Gets annoying but its fun to play with him.

Everyone plays his ways bitching about how they play just shows how bad you are at the game.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:12 pm
its nice to have some fun in the game once in a while  

dragwarrior

sonicfreak1031

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:21 pm
personally i hate when ppl spam to much  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:43 pm
who doesnt i do but i do it anyways xd  

dragwarrior

Katoti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:46 pm
THANK YOU!!

I believe the whole "repeating moves makes you a cheater" thing is a load of crap. I hate it when I win on SSBB and people call me cheap because I use the same moves a lot. If you have your back to a wall and I attack with Pit's Angel Ring, it's your problem if you cannot dodge the attack and end up trapped. Besides, every character has, like, at least ten moves each. It's impossible to brawl without using the same move more than once.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:24 pm
well it would be good to deal more damage by doing combos more than doing the same move  

dragwarrior

To Be Blue Again

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm
I like snake a lot, and I use his normal forward attack a lot. It's saved me a lot of times. So I agree that spamming is something that is done without skill. When you learn to use a character really well all of his/her attacks are useful in more than one way.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:53 pm
u mean the rocket?  

dragwarrior

Noxity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:52 am
User Image

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=olL1UobnAnY

That's like calling Santi a spammer just because he used back air a lot. :3

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:13 pm
hes good  

dragwarrior

SwiftKronos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:37 pm
Most people will also get confused with camping and playing defensively but sometimes they are the same thing and long range spamming is hard to get around because they are camping. Also even though spamming requires no skill to get around spamming is quite hard because if you use a character with low range and priority they can just camp and if you get near them use a move that slightly knocks you back then hit you farther then spam again.  
Super Smash Bros. Discussion and Battling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games