Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
It didn't turn out the way I thought.......

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 am
How many of you have tried a new craft or something a little different then you thought it would? I did my first felting project and it didn't turn out like it was supposed to. It was a bag and I didn't know how much it would shrink. It not as long as I would like it to be, but I still liked how it turned out. (pics coming soon)
What didn't come out like it was supposed to for you??  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 am
I have this problem all the time with polymer clay... or did when I was actually making stuff from polymer clay. I'm not very good with it, unfortunately. ^_^;;

I once made some pins for someone out of ShrinkPlastic though and they... well... they didn't quite shrink correctly....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lizstaley/P1010731.jpg

I don't even know WHAT happened there. sweatdrop  

lizstaley

strawberry monochrome

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:47 pm
I have had that problem making something out of felt too. I have no idea where I put my messed up creation, it was supposed to be like a keychain but got a little weird. .  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 pm
I just spent three hours waiting for my computer to burn my friends wedding footage into a dvd disc for me only to discover that I somehow had it on a christmas template that means that there is now a christmas frame around the entire thing.  

Kiyoshi Masamune

damnatio memoriae

Dapper Dabbler

12,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:48 pm
lizstaley
I have this problem all the time with polymer clay... or did when I was actually making stuff from polymer clay. I'm not very good with it, unfortunately. ^_^;;

I once made some pins for someone out of ShrinkPlastic though and they... well... they didn't quite shrink correctly....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/lizstaley/P1010731.jpg

I don't even know WHAT happened there. sweatdrop

When they heat up they bend upwards. If you have an oven you can see through, turn the oven light on and keep an eye on them. If it touches while bending just use a butter knife and separate it while it's still in the oven (be careful not to burn yourself). Looks like it would have been a pretty cool button, you should try it again! razz  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 am
damnatio memoriae

When they heat up they bend upwards. If you have an oven you can see through, turn the oven light on and keep an eye on them. If it touches while bending just use a butter knife and separate it while it's still in the oven (be careful not to burn yourself). Looks like it would have been a pretty cool button, you should try it again! razz

I ended up remaking them (they were for an order so I had to anyway LOL), and I've watched them curl up like that before, but they always flattened on their own for me before, so when they didn't I was surprised I think that day I also was doing 12 other things and trying to get them out of my "workshop" so I probably just didn't watch them as carefully as I should have. ^_^

I actually then sold those mistakes to a friend... rofl  

lizstaley

everwonderwhy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:33 pm
I was finishing off one of my first large to-be-worn knitting projects when I noticed the one legwarmer I was making was longer than it should've been(according to where I was in the pattern) so I decided it wouldn't be a big deal so i kept on going, when I get to the end and Bind off all the stitches I am baffled by the fact that one of my legwarmers is about .5" or atleast a whole inch longer than the first one.
I about just about died. I wear them anyway, if people notice I'll just say it's apart of a new trend the "oddly preportioned pairs trend". sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:28 pm
I encounter that problem fairly often with my sewing projects. When I use a commercial pattern, my project usually turns out bigger than I thought, and when I draft the pattern myself, I sometimes end up with things that are too short or too tight. I usually have good luck when I make my own patterns, though. 3nodding  

salvagedsword

High-functioning Bookworm

19,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:08 am
The first sweater that I compleated. I had finished the whole thing, feeling very accomplished, when I layed it out to look at it, I was shocked. The yarn I had used had changed dye lots midproject, withot even changing yarn strands. While i was knitting it I had thought the lighting was weird, but... now I use it to check the oil level in my car.

I'm a little vindictive when I don't get my way, expecially with inanamit objects  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:06 pm
As bad as this'll probably make me sound...this thread makes me feel really good! I have messed up every project in some way or another since I've started sewing, and even though I'm getting better, I was starting to feel discouraged.

My first project was a handbag, and I used a really small sewing machine and the thread kept snagging and fraying and ripping and the seams were so bulky and crooked that I just scrapped it.

My second was also a handbag. I got a new machine and the bag turned out GREAT...except that the lining was inside-out. I'm using it to put all my fabrics in, though. It's still handy.

My latest was supposed to be a case for my sister's digital camera. I ended up measuring my fabric too short and the thing was so small it would have never fit a camera. So, instead, I gave it to my mother-in-law as a cellphone case. It fits her phone perfectly, though!

I'm going to try another handbag, and hopefully, after learning from my many mistakes, I can actually succeed this time around. Lucky for me, I've only been using my cheap $1 fabrics and not my really pretty one that I've been dying to use.  

loves_funeral_song

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 pm
I can't tell you how many frogs, bears, and other stuffed crocheted stuff I have made that have had a long leg and short leg, long arm ect. (personal favorite is a top heavy mushroom.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:12 pm
I felted a bag once. It ended up coming out half as large as it was supposed to. Then I tried another one. That one came out wide enough, but way too short. I've since given up felting. It just doesn't really work for me, I guess.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

User_2629207

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:51 am
Rulin' ya universes...

xD yeah. My first crocheting project... I was supposed to make a wristcuff, but it turned into something that looked like a scary black leech...
...since 1992.

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff