Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Sims 2 Guild

Back to Guilds

Great place to share/show your creations and meet other TS2 fans! 

Tags: Sims2, Simulation, Maxis, Electronic Arts, Social Bunny 

Reply Main Forum
My sims2 folder/game went Poofie!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iFae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm
I Told my dad and he said he has backup files..but how do you get it back on?!?!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:46 am
As long as you have back-up files (check and make sure!) this is what you do (typos are not my fault):

1. Install your game.
2. Start your game! This step is VERY important! After you?ve successfully installed the game, and all the EPs and Stuff packs you want, open it up. Make sure everything looks normal, and is working properly. More importantly, starting your game generates all the game files we just spent time copying, it?s just that in this newly installed game, they are fresh and new.
3. Exit the game.
4. Depending on how you backed up your game, we?re going to replace the newly generated files in your Sims 2 folder with the backups you made earlier. If you simply copied the whole Sims 2 file, this is simple. Go to My Documents/EA Games and delete the Sims 2 file in there. Now, go to wherever you copied your backup, and move it, cut and paste, or however you see best, into the My Documents/EA Games file. You?re simply replacing the new Sims 2 file with the old one you backed up earlier.
If you only copied a few of the folders inside The Sims 2 file, then you need to go one step further. Go into My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 and delete each folder that corresponds to those you have copied from your original game. Now, just move, cut and paste or whatever, those files you have saved as your backups into the new Sims 2 file. If you don?t delete the old ones, it will ask if you want to overwrite the old. This is fine to do as well, simply say ?yes?.
5. Now, once you?ve copied all the files you need in their appropriate places, start your game. You should now see all of your old neighborhoods, sims, houses, etc. If you don?t, go back over the steps and make sure you did everything correctly.
Note: VERY important! If you do not do step 2 while restoring your backups (starting your game after installing), you will encounter problems. The first time you start your game, the game creates a new Sims 2 folder, with all fresh and new versions of the default neighborhoods. If you simply add in your Sims 2 file before starting the game, this creation process will overwrite your old data, and the restoration will NOT work. This is why it is very important that you start your game first, to allow the game to create the files necessary. Then you can exit and replace the files you need.
If you?re simply restoring your data to a previous save, you do not need to worry about this. Simply start at step 4, and replace the files as needed. In other words, if you?ve not had to reinstall, but you want to replace your current data with your backups, then just go ahead and replace, you don?t need to worry about anything getting overwritten. That danger only applies to a fresh installation of the game.  

shmarty

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff