Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
What causes this?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jojo_da_crow

Divine Nymph

4,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:27 am
For those of you who sew, can you tell me what could cause my sewing machine to bunch up like this?

User Image

This is the underside of the cloth after I have sewn. It suddenly started doing this. I am new to sewing so I have no idea what causes it. I have changed the needle and rethreaded the machine. sad

Maybe I have it threaded wrong? I sewed a bunch of stuff yesterday though with out this happening.

gonk I feel so stupid right now. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:37 am
Nevermind... i have been told it is due to the thread tension.

Even though I missed with that I apparently didn't mess with it enough. xd  

jojo_da_crow

Divine Nymph

4,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100

loves_funeral_song

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:18 pm
jojo_da_crow
Nevermind... i have been told it is due to the thread tension.

Even though I missed with that I apparently didn't mess with it enough. xd

I had a similar problem last week when I bought some new thread. It turned out my problem was because the thread I bought was too thick for the needle AND the fabric. I never knew that something like that actually mattered until now. NOW I know. >_>  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:51 pm
Hmm that may be the problem then. This keeps happening no matter what the thread tension. It will sew fine and then mid stitch will start to do this. Sometimes I can get one or two pieces sewn before it starts to mess up.

Very frustrating.  

jojo_da_crow

Divine Nymph

4,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Radetzky March

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 am
On my machine, this usually happens if there's something amiss with the bobbin. It may be something as obvious as having the casing not put back in properly, or something as easy to miss as having put the bobbin in the case backwards. There may be broken threads or even just dust caught in your bobbin casing and interfering with the rotation, or you may have a messily wound spot on your bobbin the machine just can't deal with.

Take out your bobbin and be sure it's put in properly, if it's a drop-in bobbin, or if it's a removable bobbin casing, take out the whole deal and make sure everything's put back together properly. Leave the bobbin hatch open and turn the hand-wheel for a few stitches, make sure everything's moving properly, and the thread's not getting twisted or hung up on any moving parts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:51 am
Thanks for the advice guys!

I am using thinner thread and so far it is working nicely and I haven't had any problems yet. I don't know if it was that the thread was to thick or if because I unwound the bobbin and rethreaded with new thread that it got better.  

jojo_da_crow

Divine Nymph

4,375 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items