Second Life? Why?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Salmay
Captain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:46 pm
I'm doing this thing for work in which you are supposed to try all these internet things. It's all part of Library 2.0 (imagine impressive echoes and sparkles ok?).

Anyway the step I'm on now is about Games and the Library. The game sites they suggest were Second Life and Puzzle Pirates. So I go to try them.

Both require a download and seem to really need to be paid for. Why are these considered suitable for a public library or a library user??

Why not Gaia and Neopets? Both are free, basically, you get games and forums in both. You get to dress an avatar nicely in Gaia.

I just don't get it.

Has anyone tried those sites? What is so great about them?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:00 pm
User Image
Beyond Birthday had the eyes of a shinigami since he was born.
He knew your name before you said it.
He knew the time of death of every person he met.

I've heard of Second Life from a True Life episode xD A girl could only sing on Second Life...or something.
(apparently you can sing on the website -.o )
Anyways. It's probably just the one's they've been told about or they think are more "mature". People don't really think neopets= adults - o-

You could mention in your report (that's what it sounds like xD ) that you think both failed and went on gaia :'D

...I hardly need to explain just what effect
this would have on his personality.

User Image

Beyond Betrayal

Salmay
Captain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:19 pm
I did actually. Twice. Once in my blog and once in a comment on the assignment blog.

I just can't see why they thought those would be good for a library if you have to download a program. The computer guys don't like people downloading things.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:29 pm
User Image
Beyond Birthday had the eyes of a shinigami since he was born.
He knew your name before you said it.
He knew the time of death of every person he met.

xD Nice!

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't check out the site before advising it. Like they just googled "popular internet hangouts/games" or something and those two popped up.

...I hardly need to explain just what effect
this would have on his personality.

User Image

Beyond Betrayal

Neiina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm
OH GOD.

I have to write about making my own business in Second Life in my english class right now. it's SO stupid.

I would much rather write about Gaia <3  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:50 am
Neiina
OH GOD.

I have to write about making my own business in Second Life in my english class right now. it's SO stupid.

I would much rather write about Gaia <3

So, do you have to pay to have a business on Second Life? It looked like you need to pay for land and stuff?  

Salmay
Captain

Lord DemiBaal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 am
meow meow meow meow we like meowbix meow meow meow  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:06 am
Second Life: Never played it, but according to G4's Attack of the Show, very few people are actually ever on it anymore, and it basically SUCKS

Puzzle Pirates: I always saw ads for this on Neopets when I was like... 10, and I thought it looked really cool ^_^ Never played it for. I always went for the free games like DragonFable and Gaia.  

XV - Shadowed Mistress

Cattrain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:57 am
I got on second life once... It was definitely not safe for a library. I think the term is "Not safe for work"... Ya, if I ran a Library, I would ban second life, because it is more of an adult game than anything...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:12 am
never tried them o.o;  

BlueAltitude
Vice Captain

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:19 am
I used to love Puzzle Pirates biggrin
IIRC, you didnt have to pay to play. and the download was pretty easy and small, and it was clean. A forum I used to use started up a guild type thing. We were the scourge of the seas pirate
I miss it now, but I dont think it works on my mac>_<

Gaiaholics Anonymous

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff