Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Sims 2 Guild

Back to Guilds

Great place to share/show your creations and meet other TS2 fans! 

Tags: Sims2, Simulation, Maxis, Electronic Arts, Social Bunny 

Reply The Sims 2 Help
Graphics card issues?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:24 am
Hello everyone. 8D
I'm having a lot of issues with my graphics card lately, it would seem. Every few minutes or so, my game blacks out and a message saying "Display driver so and so stopped working and has recovered."
It does it most in fullscreen mode, and for a while it stopped happening once I switched to window mode. But now it's started up again.
I have a high end Nvidia graphics card that was specifically designed for gaming, and I use Vista Ultimate.
I have expansions 1-5. If anyone has any idea as to what's going on, it'd be great if you could give me a hand. D:
EDIT: I just noticed that my Seasons disk has a HUGE crack in it. @.@
Iunno whether that could be causing the problem...

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:41 am
Yup, the seasons disk COULD be the problem. ALSO: Your card is most likely dirty and needs to be cleaned. Possibly, it has just been too over-worked and has begin to shut down. Do you use a lot of custom content?  

shmarty

Sanus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:50 am
I use tons of CC. Recently I cleaned out my folder though, so there's much less than there used to be.
And how would you go about cleaning it? I thought it wasn't something that can be removed very easily. D:

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:10 pm
I believe that you have to have the card cleaned by a professional, of course, I'm not positive so I would say you should google it. xd Anyway, ever having a large amount of CC in your game puts a huge (enormous) strain on your graphics card, cleaning out your folder was a good idea but it doesn't undo the already done damage to the card. It's possible that resting your card can help it return to its normal state. If you can stand it, try putting you sims game away for a day or so. Lack of card cooling can cause it to over-heat and have spazms such as this situation. In fact, put away any and all very graphic games/programs for a day or so.  

shmarty

Sanus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:33 pm
:0
Thing is, this was my first time playing Sims or any other game in weeks.
My dad says it's probably my Seasons disk causing the issue. Since I doubt you can make copies of it, I'll probably need to buy another copy.
If you install later expansions do you still use the Seasons disk?

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:03 pm
To install a later pack, you do not need the seasons disk. smile

I wish you good luck. If you can, PM me and tell me if all goes well.  

shmarty

Sanus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:34 pm
Ah, I actually meant whether you still need to use the Seasons disk to run the game, regardless of whether the EP came after or not. D:
I know you don't need it for installation, I was talking about actually running the program.
Thanks for the help though. :]

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:48 pm
Well, to run the game, yes you need the seasons disk. If you buy a more recent game, then you can just use that disk AND keep your seasons stuff! So I would just buy freetime or apartments if I were you.

Welcome! blaugh  

shmarty

The Sims 2 Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces