Reply The Twilight Movie
Wtf, Laurent is black!? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

McFlyenstein1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:10 pm
with the description of the "olive coloured skin and black hair" i almost pictured someone of the orient...but the french puzzled me, the actor that was chosen is alright, and i think a good choice, but...what about the paleish skin...?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:56 pm
KiraLight
I don't see why so many people are so suprised. In the book he's described as having black hair and olive toned skin..It's not so hard to think of him as being black..

Precisely! It's not too far off base, I mean, I pictured him with a sort of... well a Latin American or something color skin.  

Twilight Scribe

Emo Oompa Loompa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:49 am
Lyxsing
It surprised me because Vampires are described as extremely pale. I guess Stephenie Meyers never explained what a black vampire would look like. It doesn't really bother me, though.

Yeah thats what I was thinking!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:47 am
Seriously...all I can say is eek .

Actually though, thinking about it, a black vampire is kind of smexy! Woo! wink

I don't find him particularly attractive...but who knows, they may have him in some uber smexy outfit and the fangs and everything may just change my mind... whee  

Kirby_Komatose

Goblin_Brownies

Beloved Gatekeeper

7,550 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am
i imagend him black  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:15 am
It bothers me that people don't think that black people can be vampires
I feel a bit insulted

Has anyone seen Queen of the Damned or the ******** Blade movies for that matter
Oh wait I forgot that this a Twilight guild and I can't expect anyone to have seen some real vamp movies  

Sugar_Coated_Malice

1,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

xXTwilight4LifeXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:06 am
I didn't know he was black until about a week ago when I was re-reading Twilight. It said he had "olive-toned skin", and I ran to my mom to tell her, because we were both wondering why he was black in the movie....

I thought he was black because they thought they needed a black person in the movie...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:21 am
There are a few things that need to be said.
1. Laurent's appearance is never explained in full detail, as he had hardly any part in Twilight.
2. PALE DOES NOT MEAN WHITE. Pale just means that you are lacking any "color" (meaning the color caused from blood, as in blushing).
3. In Eclipse, Jasper describes Maria as Mexican with pale skin. It's not as if all of the Twilight vampires should be assumed to be white.
4. Why does it matter? Since when does race affect anything when it comes to acting? It doesn't. So stop it, and stop making an issue out of it.  

Spring and Summer

Dark_Rose_Aeris

4,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:38 am
yeah! i totally agree with x_Clairvoyant_x  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:24 am
jamemarie2014
I was surprised too! I pictured Laurent as a person with pale, stone skin like edwards with shaggy black hair that covers some of his face.

I had the exact same picture.
I don't really have a problem with him being black. It's just that a black vampire had never occurred to me.  

faheygirlhey

Dangerous Genius

6,150 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100

celestialheiress

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 pm
Vampyress_Of_FleetStreet
jamemarie2014
I was surprised too! I pictured Laurent as a person with pale, stone skin like edwards with shaggy black hair that covers some of his face.

I don't really have a problem with him being black. It's just that a black vampire had never occurred to me.

seriously?? african americans are people too. they can be vampires. havent you seen Blade? or queen of the damned??

probably not. most kids in twilight guilds are well..kids. huh. go figure.

no offense but it seems odd that no one seems to realize that vampires CAN be black. its kinda racist.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 pm
i was surprised too but i can't say i mind. i mean he was pretty hawt~ =)  

Demonic Sugarplum o_0

Rin Kairiu

Astral Visitor

35,565 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 pm
First of all, I'd like to point out, no one said Blacks couldn't be vampires.

Second, if anyone read Breaking Dawn, when Bella saw the half-vampire Nahul, she said he was impossibly black for a vampire.

Third, with the skin tones, all vapires are pale with the undertone of their original skin color. Therefore a black person turned vampire would be pale white with the undertone of their original skin.

Also, in Twilight, Laurent is decribed as Frech, pale, and with short black hair while in the movie Laurent is Black, Jamacan, with long dreds. I think some people just didn't like how a character doesn't look the way descirbed in the book is all... not that they don't like black people. It would be the same as if Bella was a blonde in the movie.

Finally... This is not Blade or Queen of the Damned... this is Stephanie Meyers's Twilight Saga, the characters should go as described. Though since there haven't been any comments from her about Laurent, I'd say she thinks he was just fine for the movie. Though his part was small, he's a good actor... unlike the girl who played Bella... she had no emotion at all. ^_^;

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to step on toes, cuz I'm not... I'm just bringing up what I've found.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:56 am
celestialheiress
Vampyress_Of_FleetStreet
jamemarie2014

seriously?? african americans are people too. they can be vampires. havent you seen Blade? or queen of the damned??

probably not. most kids in twilight guilds are well..kids. huh. go figure.

no offense but it seems odd that no one seems to realize that vampires CAN be black. its kinda racist.
User Image

Not all people are kids here first off.
Secondly... pointing out something SOMEONE else already pointed out was pointless and making it sound like you read their comment and said the exact same thing.
Thirdly, not everyone has seen Queen of the Damned (which was a poor remake of the book, thank you.. good movie, but they shouldn't have even bothered to make it from the book.) or Blade.. not all of us were fond of that movie. ALso at least mention a good vampire movie besides QUeen of the Damned, like Underworld? DId we forget that one?

Also... with Laurant I can see why people were surprised, since after reading the novel... he really didn't fit the description. (So before you all go off shooting your mouths saying that it shouldn't be surprising I think you guys need to pick up the book again and read it.) BUT I thought he played him good, I liked him either way. 3nodding

(you can take offense to my comment.. I don't really care, it's annoying seeing people try and act as if they're above everyone else because... they're what? 18? 19? I'm 19 and was still surprised. Oh and look, I'm NOT a kid?!?!?!)

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Twilight Movie

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers