Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
Uhg, I can't play Sims. ):

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Julia Dream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am
Every time I try to play Sims 2 Seasons it says something about the disc not being in the drive (it is) and I have no clue how to fix it.

I tried looking online, but all the similar issues are because of XP/Vista incompatibilities, and I'm not using Vista so that's not the issue here.

It used to work fine before my computer imploded, then I got this new computer (but the old hard drive is still connected, so I can still get to the old files) and loaded up all the Sims and now it's not working.

I suppose I could just not play Sims and wait until Apartment Life comes out, then play that, but that's not until September. D:

So if anyone has any solutions for me, it'd be a great help.

Meanwhile, I have to live vicariously through you peoples' Sim experiences.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:24 pm
I would suggest making sure that the problem is the Seasons disk and not the Sims game itself that's causing you problems. If it is just your seasons disk you could uninstall that EP and play without it until AL comes out. It's probably better to figure this out now instead of buying AL and finding out that that disk has the same probs being read.  

cursed imp

Humming Desire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:35 pm
hmm well. I have had a similer problem, but it wasn't a CD problem. my disk drive was the problem. had to get a new one. sucked terrably. try another game or DVD to see if that is the problem. Even if it is new sometimes there are problems like that.

or the old hard drive is the problem for a new computer. get a memory card and put back the new hard drive. might work better that way.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:40 am
So you've got a new computer, which is vista, with an old hard drive, which was xp...I fail to understand where the confusion is, unless your old hard drive is vista as well. Have you tried replacing the hard drive with a newer one?

Besides, how old are we talking here? You can't just go and throw computer parts together, even if they're all made the same year, you've got compatibility issues to worry about. Actually, I don't even know if you have experience doing such things...for all I know you're Bill Gates, but I'm going to assume that you're like the general population and aren't aware of such things.

I mean, I get that you don't want to lose what you had before on sims...but you're going to have to probably just deal with that and start over. o_o Check it out, test the game on a new hard drive and tell us how that goes.

Enelya Anarion

Omnipresent Strawberry

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200

Belting Out

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:36 pm
Maybe, if your game is not an original, you must work the crack? If you don't know what that is, right click in the My Computer file, on the CD icon for the sims, and click 'explore.' If there's a crack, you should see a crack file. If not, then I think you should change your disk drive.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:10 pm
@Enelya Anarion:

I don't have Vista. That's what I'm saying - I researched the problem, and all the info I've found was because someone had a new Vista computer and Seasons wasn't compatible with Vista for unknown reason. So, I can't figure out why my non-Vista, should-be-perfectly-fine computer isn't recognizing the Sims disc as being in the drive for play (it loaded fine, it just won't play).

@Belting Out:

I'll look into this Crack thing. I've heard mutterings about it, but I can't wrap my mind around the concept - from what I've read, it appears to be you just replace your non-working icon with a Seasons icon that is known to work... Which doesn't make all that much sense, if you ask me. But I'll try what you're talking about.  

Julia Dream

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:54 am
Ok, first of all this thread should be in Q&A. I'm moving it now.

Second of all if you are going to discuss "cracks" then do it through PM, not here as it is against our rules and will get you a warning if I see either of you doing it again.

Thirdly, have you tried other games in your drive to see if they are effected as someone suggested before?
My computer sometimes decided to tell me my FreeTime disc isn't in when it is and all I have to do is relaunch the game. I'm guessing this hasn't worked in your case.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:03 am
Menaceman
Ok, first of all this thread should be in Q&A. I'm moving it now.

Second of all if you are going to discuss "cracks" then do it through PM, not here as it is against our rules and will get you a warning if I see either of you doing it again.

Thirdly, have you tried other games in your drive to see if they are effected as someone suggested before?
My computer sometimes decided to tell me my FreeTime disc isn't in when it is and all I have to do is relaunch the game. I'm guessing this hasn't worked in your case.

Sorry, I didn't know cracks were really that big of a deal - I was just going to use one so that my computer would recognize the game - I didn't illegally download the game or anything.

I haven't tried any other games. I'm not much of a game person - Sims is the only one I really play.

I think my brother plays Oblivion just fine on this computer, though... I don't know.  

Julia Dream

Chef Tine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:50 am
I have the same problem as Menaceman.. it'll tell me my free time isnt there.. all I have to is restart the computer.

o_O I have vista and seasons work fine for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:03 am
Try disconnecting the old hard drive and using the new one. Also, for very strange purposes, when did you get this new computer?

Test other games in the drive...hell test anything in the drive, even a CD. If it's a problem with the drive then it won't read anything.

Until you try these things out and provide at least the year you purchased your new computer, no one can help you.

Enelya Anarion

Omnipresent Strawberry

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items