Welcome to Gaia! ::

The ~TRUE AND OFFICIAL~ Lucky Star Guild [OVA IN SEPTEMBER!?

Back to Guilds

Reply ~MAIN PAGE~ Lucky☆Star Guild
Bonen no Xamdu Impression

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:30 am
PSN store

If you haven't known already, Sony teamed up with Funimation to offer anime on their newly launched video store for the PS3. Also is SCEI's right to Bonen no Xamdu. I'm pretty sure that this is only for the United States since Canadians were stating that they had no video stores at all. Sony seem to be ignoring all the other English-speaking countries. I do feel bad just a bit. Among the inital anime offered are:

Afro Samurai
Astro Boy
Basilisk
Burst Angel
Desert Punk
Gunslinger Girl
Kiddy Grade
Moon Phase
Samurai 7
Trinity Blood
Xam'd: The Lost Memories <--- Bonen no Xamdu
Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

All anime besides Bonen are English-dubbed.

All anime offered is currently only rental, which is a bummer. Hopefully they will add in purchase for keeps somewhere down the line. It should be noted also that the only one with HD rental is Bonen no Xamdu.

Bonen no Xamdu - $2.99 for SD, $3.99 for HD
All other anime - $1.99 for SD

I rented Bonen no Xamdu episode 1 HD at 8:00, the filesize is 1520 MB.
Sony's policy for rentals is

Quote:
Only one copy of a Rental Content may be viewable on an Authorized Device for up to 24 hours after the first playback or 14 days after payment for the Rental Content, whichever is sooner.

You can immediately start watching the anime without having to complete download from 1%.

SONY
Sony is translating since Sony Music and SCEI are collaborating with BONES on the anime's production.

Hopefully, maybe we will see Sony licensing it for the U.S. for disc distribution and releasing the series on Blu-ray since they do have HD.

As of right now, I'm not a big fan of rentals. I like to keep my stuff, but was willing to give it all a try and was excited to watch the opening episode.

For the high price of 4 bucks, you are actually paying for exclusivity since only PS3 owners/friends can watch it while even the Japanese have to wait until the Fall!

FOR HD:
13 episodes - 52 bucks to rent and see entire series
26 episodes - 104 bucks which is hella expensive.

THE BEGINNING

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I even went as far as taking a picture of this momentous occasion. Sexy right? lol

I'm waiting until it at least hit 80% completed before I begin watching since I don't want to be interrupting by the buffering sign.

Sony unfortunately didn't add 'remaining time left' indicator so I have to guess. It might be completed around 12 to 1ish.

Started 8:00 AM
8:34 AM - 242/1520MB 16% done
9:48 AM - 642/1520MB 42% done
10:13 AM - 734/1520MB 48% done
11:13 AM - 1019/1520MB 67% done
11:34 AM - 1135/1520MB 74% done
12:12 PM - 1343/1520MB 88% done
1:00 PM - completed

I'm surprised that it's actually going reasonably fast given my connection. Sony apparently plopped down some money for some fast servers for their video store. Can't say the same for the game store since everything is slow as hell there.

BONEN NO XAMDU IMPRESSION -don't worry, doesn't contain spoilers-

Karaoke - Both OP and ED are in English. OP is a nice fast, catchy song. ED is a slow song.
Subtitle - Nice white text with black outline. Looks to be the Arial font. I hate all the colors and jazz that fansubbers add to their type so just having minimalistic subtitles is great. Another great thing is that they didn't censor words like who** or bi***.
Bright, vivid colors - Similar to that of Eureka Seven.
Animation - Great, what else did you expect from BONES? Especially the transformation sequence, thing of beauty!

Story - I don't even know. Stuff happened, stuff exploded. Too early to tell since it is episode one afterall.
Character - There looks to be a merry band of pirate where our main protaganists will end up with... You know where they all 'fight the system.' Once again similar to Eureka Seven. The probable main focus will be on Akiyuki and Haru. Akiyuki is our main male protaganist while Haru is the main female protaganist. Haru will probably be Akiyuki's main love interest. I can already see another female could probably cause a love triangle.

Akiyuki - He is not Renton's clone though. Akiyuki looks far stronger than Renton and is not the typical 'weak, sensitive' stereotype. Once again, his transformation sequence was awesome.

Haru - I gotta comment on how she looks because, well, I'm a guy after all. Yeah, she's hot. Nice blue eyes hehe. She's kinda that really fun girl to be around with at school, you know what I'm talking about. Yeah...

------------
I said that I was going to continue renting, but I'm really conflicted now since episode one got me really pumped and ended that I went 'that's it? I want more!' I have to catch myself though because renting is lame and if Sony were to offer purchases in the future, then I should keep my hard-earned money until then. I'm in quite a situation.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 am
Posting for lulz, and some commenting I guess.

I decided to hop on over to my PS3 and take a look at the video store, and I found the anime list quite interesting.

I was quite surprised when I saw Afro Samurai and Samurai 7 on the list. I bought both of them last summer and loved them, and I didn't expect them to be on the same list as some more renowned anime like Gunslinger Girl, Kiddy Grade, and Moon Phase. Basilisk and Burst Angel aren't bad IMO, either.

If only I had the money to rent/purchase-when-it-becomes-available these anime.

Anime on Blu-ray would be cool, but I wonder what the point would be. The advantages of Blu-ray over regular DVD is more power and space, which allows for either more footage to be stored, higher detail footage, or, well, both. (*cough*MGS4*cough*) I can see the advantage in being able to store more episodes and the like on a single disc, but I don't think there are any anime that are "high definition", which I think is more important than putting a lot of footage in a disc.

Can't we just go on YouTube or a torrent site and watch Bonen? It saves money, although the novelty of watching anime from your PS3 is quite nice XD.  

The_Great_Hero

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:28 am
The_Great_Hero

I decided to hop on over to my PS3 and take a look at the video store, and I found the anime list quite interesting.

I was quite surprised when I saw Afro Samurai and Samurai 7 on the list. I bought both of them last summer and loved them, and I didn't expect them to be on the same list as some more renowned anime like Gunslinger Girl, Kiddy Grade, and Moon Phase. Basilisk and Burst Angel aren't bad IMO, either.

Anime on Blu-ray would be cool, but I wonder what the point would be. The advantages of Blu-ray over regular DVD is more power and space, which allows for either more footage to be stored, higher detail footage, or, well, both. (*cough*MGS4*cough*) I can see the advantage in being able to store more episodes and the like on a single disc, but I don't think there are any anime that are "high definition", which I think is more important than putting a lot of footage in a disc.

Can't we just go on YouTube or a torrent site and watch Bonen? It saves money, although the novelty of watching anime from your PS3 is quite nice XD.

Probably having an entire 13 episode series on Blu-ray with a crisp, vibrant picture would be what I wish for. -don't know if it could fit..- I might be a newbie with all the high-tech jargon, but I can definitely tell the difference when I plop in Paprika DVD vs Paprika Blu-ray. I think it all has to do with clarity. After watching HD and going back to SD, it just don't feel right.

If someone were to find a way to get the episodes from their PS3 then fine. As of right now, I don't think there is any method to getting it since you can't copy it and it will disappear after 24 hours anyways. Like I wrote earlier, Bonen hasn't even aired in Japan yet. The Japanese got to wait until this Fall season to watch it so I don't think we will see any torrents floating around until this Fall.

edit: I'm eating my own words, great! Apparently the SD version is already floating around.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:15 am
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero

Probably having an entire 13 episode series on Blu-ray with a crisp, vibrant picture would be what I wish for. -don't know if it could fit..- I might be a newbie with all the high-tech jargon, but I can definitely tell the difference when I plop in Paprika DVD vs Paprika Blu-ray. I think it all has to do with clarity. After watching HD and going back to SD, it just don't feel right.

If someone were to find a way to get the episodes from their PS3 then fine. As of right now, I don't think there is any method to getting it since you can't copy it and it will disappear after 24 hours anyways. Like I wrote earlier, Bonen hasn't even aired in Japan yet. The Japanese got to wait until this Fall season to watch it so I don't think we will see any torrents floating around until this Fall.

edit: I'm eating my own words, great! Apparently the SD version is already floating around.

Lol, the Internet never fails me. XD

And I can understand your whole thing about clarity and HD > SD and all that, and I can see now that anime on Blu-ray = <3 cool ninja .  

The_Great_Hero

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 pm
Too bad that the sound is out of sync though. Maybe HD will come with sounds in sync or I'll still end up paying to see it.

I found myself a list of anime blu-ray in Japan and some actually have English subtitles. It might be old news but Utawarerumono got blu-ray, what's more interesting is that it have english dub? and subs. All for the very cheap price of 377.75 bucks.

No wonder blu-ray in the U.S. is limited to anime movies/OVAs.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:19 am
00NINE-1
Too bad that the sound is out of sync though. Maybe HD will come with sounds in sync or I'll still end up paying to see it.

I found myself a list of anime blu-ray in Japan and some actually have English subtitles. It might be old news but Utawarerumono got blu-ray, what's more interesting is that it have english dub? and subs. All for the very cheap price of 377.75 bucks.

O.O wow. I don't think I'll be shelling out money for Blu-ray anime anytime soon.  

The_Great_Hero

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:43 pm
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1

O.O wow. I don't think I'll be shelling out money for Blu-ray anime anytime soon.

Full Metal Panic got English dub and subs too. Cost around the same too. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:17 pm
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1

I think I'll stick with my FMP boxsets that cost >=$50 for each season XD. I don't think I need to do anything to usher in the Blu-ray era until it starts getting cheaper and easier to use.  

The_Great_Hero

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:15 pm
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1

I think I'll stick with my FMP boxsets that cost >=$50 for each season XD. I don't think I need to do anything to usher in the Blu-ray era until it starts getting cheaper and easier to use.

I can understand waiting for Blu-ray to get cheap, but easier to use? How can it get any easier? Unless you want Blu-ray players to transform into a robot and insert the disc by themselves like that Xbox from Transformers. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:22 am
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*Pat* *Pat* *Pat*

If Canada doesn't have it, I doubt that Australia will.

But man, what a good move.

MOON PHASE and ASTRO BOY!

I can't wait till I have a PS3 in my possession.
...at least you have influence.

Onicept
Captain

Onicept
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:25 am
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1

I can understand waiting for Blu-ray to get cheap, but easier to use? How can it get any easier? Unless you want Blu-ray players to transform into a robot and insert the disc by themselves like that Xbox from Transformers. xd
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*Pat* *Pat* *Pat*

There is a way to run off your original DVD's onto Blu-Ray. Of course, that requires a BR Reader/Writer, which costs a bit of dough.

Also, I own the first season of FMP on DVD. I was gonna buy the second, but "Stella Of The Universe" looked so much more worth it, and it was (I had never seen it before, whereas I had already seen FMP TSR via download).

Arisa is awesome.
...at least you have influence.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 pm
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1
The_Great_Hero
00NINE-1

I had a feeling my awkward word choice would get called out.

I mean easier as in more convenient, like when DVDs are obsolete, movies are usually released in Blu-ray, Blu-ray players get cheaper (because of the aforementioned events), etc.

I'm saving up my money to get all of the FMP boxes at once, as well as FMA and Lucky Star XD. Maybe Haruhi too.  

The_Great_Hero

00NINE-1
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:47 pm
Oh, I understand that.

I'm trying to get over my spending habits on anime. Rightstuf is like crack with their sales and weekly specials.  
~MAIN PAGE~ Lucky☆Star Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games