Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Multimedia
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NBC goth?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

Lord Beckon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:40 pm
Really, I like this movie for its style more than anything... and VERY good music. And most of Tim Burton's movies are moved to the Goth genre because they just seem to fit with it quite well. I mean, Sweeney Todd (great movie), Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, etc. all have that "Burton" style. Just my two cents...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:48 pm
The Nightmare before Christmas is not Gothic, but it is kick a**! Tim Burton's movies tend to have very Gothic or Gothic inspired elements, so of course they become popular with Goths or are associated with the sub-culture.  

Bane Rie

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comrade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 am
I think the movie certainly has dark undertones, anyone can clearly see that.
But I also just think it's a cool movie. I have a ton of friends who don't come even close to identifying themselves as "goth" that adore Nightmare Before Christmas as well as my uncle ._.
It's just a classic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:27 pm
I think it's def goth. I've always loved that movie and all of Tim's work. But have you noticed in his work he always makes the dark side more appealing? Like the land of the dead vs the living world in Corpse Bride, the Horseman's woods in Sleepy Hollow, Halloweentown in NBC, HELLO! the London set in Sweeney Todd? very goth!, Edward's castle vs suburbia in Edward Scissorhands so on and so forth. He's got a very goth sensability to him.

But I do agree that every little teeny bopper's semi obsession with NBC is annoying. There's been weeks where I'd watch the movie every night it's just comforting to me. But no there's the one's who just latch on to the merchandise to look like someone else. It's the same gripe I have with everything. If you aren't a fan, don't rock it.

Why wear a Beatles t-shirt if you never fell in love with the band? It'd be the same way if I ran around in a 50 Cent t-shirt. Of course though I'd die before subjecting myself to that kinda torture.  

Obeydontstray

1,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Oterys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 pm
I think it's got gothic elements, but NBC isn't really goth as a whole. It's just a good movie. It doesn't need labels, it's just a fun movie to watch. It was when it came out, and it still is. After all, I think the Halloween Tree was a bit gothic too, but then I'm strange myself and I watch them both at Halloween because they're great movies. Not gory, not scary, but just damned good.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:27 am
ihfe to yes it is gothic but it is also cool it depend on how u look at it . butmi heard that timburten was goth but idk.  

pain of lust

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:41 pm
-l-GothicBooBitchCrafe-l-
ihfe to yes it is gothic but it is also cool it depend on how u look at it . butmi heard that timburten was goth but idk.
Simply hearing something does not make it true.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:27 pm
The movie is different. Just because it's a little bit darker than a lot of PG rated movies doesn't really mean it's Goth. The movie is awesome, and it's my favorite movie. It has elements. And the Christmas part. How is Christmas Gothic? (shakes head) NBC doesn't know what they are talking about.

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200

Error 4044

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:45 am
its just cool.
but the poem is better  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:19 am
honestly, i dont think the movie's intention was to be gothic. I mean, after all, it is a disney movie. but the movie has something slightly evil and dark that appeals to goths, i mean we all love the darker things in life here, dont we? i just think the movie's cool. there's something so unique about it that makes it so appealing.  

ii-See-Stars-x

Hyena_Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 am
I find it amusing how goth and cool are the only options.

My opinion.
I like it but not because it's goth or cool.
I don't find it to be very goth and I could think of so many cooler movies.  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:52 am
Tim Burton was only the producer. He didn't direct it.
It's a Disney movie
It's not the slightest bit goth, in any sense of the word.  

Lucifer Over London

Multimedia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces