Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Game Marathoning

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 pm
So, about a month and a half ago I watched an hour or so of "The Speed Gamers" ( http://www.thespeedgamers.blogspot.com/ ) beat every zelda game ever in 72 hours, and raise money for charity

Checking back it looks like they did another event where they beat every mario game in around 24 hours, and will be attempting metroid soon.

So, looking around I found: http://gamemarathons.com/ most of the marathons don't look that great, but I thought "What if TPL sometime in the future could do something like this o.O "

I'm not exactly sure how we could possibly set it up. We would all need to get the tech required and the time (video capture card and whatnot), and we could meet up in groups IRL (For example, Me, Jon and Caj all know one another so we could meet up, Deathguiser + Mortal Angel, Darkslasher + Bluix etc.) and tackle separate games.

It would be a pain in the a** to set up, and we'd probably need a solid way to contact one another to coordinate, but man, it would be ******** epic.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:57 pm
Now this would be totally awesome to do, but like you said... it would be a pain to set up, not to mention we would need to know who would is close by to one another (since travel isn't cheap these days...).
EDIT: By the way... if this was to happen, what games would we dare to attempt?
*deja vu moment*
Are you sure we haven't said or tried this before? For some unexplainable reason, I remember this... but it was just posted today... O_O;

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:05 pm
Game series that are solid choices (that haven't been done to my knowledge there are others I just haven't thought of them):

Megaman
Sonic
Something along those lines

The above games are relatively short, fast paced, though they require a lot of practice.

Alternatively we could do something like a mix, where each station we set up completes a few games that they are really comfortable with.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:13 pm
I'm going to be on the chatbox for about 20 minutes ish (maybe more maybe less) if anyone wants to discuss this in a real time setting.  

nitnit
Captain

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:14 pm
Hmm... alright, that sounds pretty good, but probably a couple more choices would be helpful just in case.

By the way... in these gaming marathons... how many players where playing each of the games at once? Or were they using multiple systems? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 pm
I know that in The Speed Gamers marathons they had one person playing each game at a time, and one person on the computer giving a commentary/watching the chat and interacting. They rotated of course.

And I think for Zelda and Mario it was possible to play every game on the wii using either GCN collections or wii ware so they probably just used 1 console.  

nitnit
Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces