Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
Singledoublesuperaction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krilliad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 am
I'm a little confused on the subject of single-action, double-action etc. Pistols.
I can't seem to place them.

Also
whats the standard NATO round sizes/cartridges
and whats the most common 5.56 (.223) & 7.62 (.30 cool
size?
Like 7.62x___  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:53 am
Single-action means the trigger will not pull the hammer back when pulled. On a 1911, you have to manually pull back the hammer before you fire the first shot, but the slide racks it back automatically for the rest. On a revolver, you have to pull it back yourself every time. In a double-action, it's possible to pull the trigger, and the hammer pulls itself back before dropping. Guns with an internal hammer are considered "Double-action only", because it's impossible to manually pull back the hammer.

Also, AFAIK, there's only 5.56x45, but 7.62 has x51, x39, x33, x25, x54r, and x38r at least. If I had to guess, I'd say that x51 is most common in the US, x39 most common in the world. Standard NATO is 5.56x45 and 7.62x51.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:34 pm
Fresnel
Single-action means the trigger will not pull the hammer back when pulled. On a 1911, you have to manually pull back the hammer before you fire the first shot, but the slide racks it back automatically for the rest. On a revolver, you have to pull it back yourself every time. In a double-action, it's possible to pull the trigger, and the hammer pulls itself back before dropping. Guns with an internal hammer are considered "Double-action only", because it's impossible to manually pull back the hammer.

Also, AFAIK, there's only 5.56x45, but 7.62 has x51, x39, x33, x25, x54r, and x38r at least. If I had to guess, I'd say that x51 is most common in the US, x39 most common in the world. Standard NATO is 5.56x45 and 7.62x51.

Arnt Striker fired pistols under the same category as double action only?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:49 pm
Crash Maniac
Fresnel

Arnt Striker fired pistols under the same category as double action only?
I'm unfamiliar with the term.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:57 am
Stirker-fired pistols activate the primer with a metal pin on a spring rather than a hammer, enclosed or not. For example, Glocks are Striker-fired, 1911s are hammer-fired. To help clarify the double-action single-action thing:

Single-action is called what it's called because the trigger performs a single action--releasing the hammer or striker. In double-action, pulling the trigger doues two actions--cocking the gun and releasing the hammer/striker.

For example with a Single-action Army, one pulls back the hammer until it locks then pulls the trigger, releasing the hammer and firing the gun. In the Colt 1911, in stead of pulling back the hammer you generally pull back the slide, which cocks the hammer at the same time as putting a round in the chamber. Then the trigger is pulled and does a single action--releasing the hammer. Recoil then recocks it for you so, unlike the single-action Army, you don't have to c**k it between shots.

An example of a double-action gun could be the Colt Python revolver, or many other double-action revolvers, where you pull the trigger and it moves the hammer to the rear, turns the cylinder, and releases the hammer to fire the gun. This is why double-action guns have harder trigger pulls--you're operating more things at once.

Hope that explains it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:30 pm
ArmasTermin
Stirker-fired pistols activate the primer with a metal pin on a spring rather than a hammer, enclosed or not. For example, Glocks are Striker-fired, 1911s are hammer-fired. To help clarify the double-action single-action thing:

Single-action is called what it's called because the trigger performs a single action--releasing the hammer or striker. In double-action, pulling the trigger doues two actions--cocking the gun and releasing the hammer/striker.

For example with a Single-action Army, one pulls back the hammer until it locks then pulls the trigger, releasing the hammer and firing the gun. In the Colt 1911, in stead of pulling back the hammer you generally pull back the slide, which cocks the hammer at the same time as putting a round in the chamber. Then the trigger is pulled and does a single action--releasing the hammer. Recoil then recocks it for you so, unlike the single-action Army, you don't have to c**k it between shots.

An example of a double-action gun could be the Colt Python revolver, or many other double-action revolvers, where you pull the trigger and it moves the hammer to the rear, turns the cylinder, and releases the hammer to fire the gun. This is why double-action guns have harder trigger pulls--you're operating more things at once.

Hope that explains it.

So essentially, all guns that need cocking after a fresh magazine are single-action, and double-action guns don't need cocking after loading?

I'm confused. neutral  

SharkieDraws

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:56 pm
Wark_Ento
ArmasTermin

Hope that explains it.

So essentially, all guns that need cocking after a fresh magazine are single-action, and double-action guns don't need cocking after loading?

I'm confused. neutral
No, because you need to rack the slide to load the gun. A double action can be fired from hammer-down, a single action can't.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:16 am
What is racking the slide? (Please don't place your head in your hands. XD )  

SharkieDraws

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:46 pm
Wark_Ento
What is racking the slide? (Please don't place your head in your hands. XD )
It's when you grab the slide on a pistol, pull it back, and let it drop forward again.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:53 pm
Wark_Ento
(Please don't place your head in your hands. XD )

Just ask away. Note that this sub-forum is intended for Noob questions.  

Freak_090
Captain

SharkieDraws

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:07 pm
Okay, thanks. So, uh...

- Cocking is the same as racking?

- All pistols need racking?

- I've seen movies where pistols, after receiving a fresh magazine, slide back in position and are ready to fire without racking. Is this inaccurate?

- Where is the button on the side of a pistol usually located for ejecting magazines?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:23 pm
Wark_Ento
Okay, thanks. So, uh...

- Cocking is the same as racking?

- All pistols need racking?

- I've seen movies where pistols, after receiving a fresh magazine, slide back in position and are ready to fire without racking. Is this inaccurate?

- Where is the button on the side of a pistol usually located for ejecting magazines?

Racking simply means that you pulled the bolt/slide all the way back and released it. Cocking means that the weapon is in a state that it could be fired, not necessarily loaded however.

All pistols need cocking, not racking. There is no bolt on a revolver. Therefore, it cannot be racked.

Some pistols like the 1911, SA XDs, and M9 have what is called a "Slide Catch". When the magazine is empty a little lever on the side of the pistol moves up and goes into a notch on the slide. It "catches" the slide so that it doesn't go fully cycle. Then, when you inster a fresh mag, all you have to do is push down the level and the slide goes forward and chambers a new round. It saves time on the reload. However, you can also pull the slide back a few milimeters and release it that way as well

The mag release button is usually by the pistol grip and near a right-handed shooters thumb, and between the trigger gaurd and mag well  

Freak_090
Captain

Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces