Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Arithmancy

Arithmancy is located on the 7th floor of Hogwarts School of Witch Craft and Wizardy and is avaliable to third-years and above. This form of Magic has to do with numberology and fairly complitcated number charts. Arithmancy is what some students call "a more accurate form of Divination". In this class students are expected to predict the future using the help from their text book "Numerology and Grammatica." and the number charts they make.

Teacher: Nixie Lilac Becker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:46 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Lola Spencer
Fourth Year Ravenclaw

Lola strode into the classroom, slightly out of breath from the multiple staircases she had to climbed in a hurry to reach the seventh floor. Glancing at her watch, she let out an exasperated sigh: it was only 8:53, and she seemed to be the first person to arrive to class. She still had several minutes before class began. "Ah, well... I guess it's a good start for a pre-Quidditch workout routine," she thought to herself. But her worries of being out of shape for Quidditch soon drifted from her mind as she settled into a third-row seat and pulled out her worn copy of Numerology and Gramatica.
Arithmancy had quickly become Lola's favorite subject during her third year at Hogwarts; in fact, after getting her invitation via owl at age eleven and researching what classes she would be able to take throughout her years at the school, she was immediately intrigued by Arithmancy. Mathematics had been her favorite subject in her muggle primary school, so it only made sense that a strong interest in the magical properties of the numbers she enjoyed so much would follow.
As Lola waited for the arrival of her classmates, she flipped through the pages of her text, re-familiarizing herself of topics she and her classmates had studied in the past. However, seeing as how she had eagerly read a couple chapters ahead over the summer, this material she saw in this mild refresher seemed quite easy compared to what she knew was soon to come. She glanced once more at her watch before shutting her book, and decided to simply wait for the room to fill up... She hated to seem like too big a nerd to her peers, and she knew that would be their thoughts if they entered the room and saw her sitting alone, reading the book.

Spiral Tuboflex
Crew

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200

youLOVEamelia
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:10 pm
Lily | Luna | Potter

Said I forgot, but I did not
Dreams we have had play in my head
Did we believe the cry of the wind?
Did we regret? Would we forget?

User ImageGlad that she escaped the Great Hall before anyone could pester her about her lack of energy, Lily quickly made her way to Arithmancy. She didn't want anyone worrying about her, so she would keep her lack of sleep to herself for now. She would only bring it up later to Madame Pomphrey, who would be able to help her with a potion. But now wasn't the time to think or dwell on that. It was almost time for Arithmancy, and Lily needed to wake herself up for the class. It was definitely among the most difficult, which was why Lily liked it so much. She needed that challenge. Not as many students took this class, as it was quite difficult. She remembered last year that most of the class consisted of Ravenclaws, who were always smart enough to handle the tough stuff like this.

When she walked into the classroom, Lily noticed that there was only one other person in there. She recognized Lola Spencer immediately, as they'd had this class together the year before as well. Lily knew the girl was smarter than she was. She had no problem admitting that. Lily was surprisingly smart considering her hyper, happy-go-lucky personality. Most people automatically assumed she was an air-head, but she'd inherited smarts from both of her parents. Harry and Ginny Potter were two of the most talented wizards. It was only fair that Lily got some piece of the talent and intelligence. Intelligence mattered more in this class, as it had to do with complex numbers and mathematics.

Lily sat near Lola. "Good morning!" she said cheerfully, pulling her book from the bag she carried with her to class. Even if she was feeling a little under the weather, she wasn't going to let this day be glum or boring. She wanted to be happy as she started the brand new school year. She didn't know Lola that well, but that didn't mean she couldn't strike up a good conversation, right? The girl was a quidditch player as well, so she always had that as a backup topic. Lily was almost like a trained conversationalist. She never really let the conversation die out. "So how was your summer?" Anyone could tell that she was actually very interested in the girl's answer. She always was, even when she asked a bland question such as that.

Winters have come and gone you know
Winters have come and gone you know
But I’ll miss you young and sweet
For a dance round the memory tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:54 am
~*Nixie Lilac Becker*~
Professor of Arithmancy

Something's growing under that wing
I think a face is dawning
Oh no the books are growing faces
And you're lost quite classically
With your nose in a book
And it seems so fitting

User ImageNixie couldn't contain the excitement or her nerves. She was happy to be back at Hogwarts. It was the perfect escape. Nobody could get to her here. It was the safest place to be. But as a battered woman, she always had that fear that she would somehow be found by him. When she closed her eyes, it was his face she could see. Luckily, he didn't have any children, so nobody would be going home to rat her out to him. If she'd told him she was offered a job at Hogwarts, he would haven ever let her take it. He wanted her bruised, broken and jobless. That way she would have to depend on him. But the moment she saw the letter from Professor McGonagall, she knew she had to do this for herself. She'd gathered the strength to leave the flat they shared without leaving so much as a note for him.

And now she was here! She almost giggled with the excitement she felt at being back home. The halls were exactly the same as they had been before, all old and decrepit looking, but still warm and inviting. As she walked towards her classroom, she couldn't help but smile, her blue eyes gleaming. Finally, something in her life was going right again. She was no longer depending on her boyfriend--now exboyfriend--or her parents in any way. She was self-sufficient; an independent woman. And she would be teaching a subject that she loved and knew quite well. In school, she'd bee known as one of the smartest kids out of all the students. She ranked highest out of the Ravenclaws. She imagined what people would say if they knew what she'd been living with. She was meant for something great, but instead she had Chris. Just thinking the name made her shudder.

Upon getting into the classroom, she noticed that two students were already there. "Good morning," she said in her softly sweet voice. It fit her pale, unblemished skin and her kind looking face. More students started to filter in as the class bell rang. She was happy to get started, but nervous as well. She hoped she would be a good enough teacher to this students. But it was time to start the lecture, so she didn't have any time for doubts.

"Good morning, everyone," she started. "I'm Professor Becker. I'm sure you're surprised to see me here instead of your old professor. He decided to retire early. So I will be teaching Arithmancy hopefully for the rest of you Hogwarts experience." She walked over to the board. "I'm sure he went over the number chart last year, but just as a refresher, I'll write it on the board."

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z

"This is the chart used to make predictions about people. You can use someone's name to find their Character Number, Heart Number and Social Number. Each of these numbers has a different meaning. If you look on Page 23 of Numerology and Grammatica, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

"I'll show you an example. My name is Nixie Becker. To calculate the character number, you add up all the numbers the letters in your correspond to on the number chart. Then you reduce the way they do in your books. So my character number is six." She went on to explain her Heart Number and her Social Number. "For your heart number you do the same thing only using the vowels in your name. The opposite for your social number.

"For homework tonight, I'd like you all to find your character, heart and social numbers and write a twelve inch essay on how they explain who you are." She hated giving homework on the first night, but Arithmancy was a tough subject and those who took it knew the risks.

And perhaps this is the end we've sought after for so long
And perhaps now it's done
Cause we've found all entire dreams
Of men and machines and
Turned them all around our
Indentical hands
Composing our commands

youLOVEamelia
Captain

Snake_in_my_Boot
Crew

Beloved Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 pm
Attention!!!

I have moved the date to Sunday, September 8th
Time to wake up after few hours of sleep thanks to late night celebrations!
Hopefully this somewhat of a fresh start will get everything back up and running

Classrooms

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games