Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply PC and other Platform Gaming
I finally met the song I couldn't beat on Stepmania...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:51 pm
It's called Chik Habit by The Flashbulb. It's just pure insanity.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8U5zm7OcE

I can beat it on the easiest of its three modes, but the other two are extremely hard and impossible, respectively. Heck, even Stepmania's AutoPlay misses notes on the hardest one. (Depending on your computer, you may have to turn the speed up to see this, though.) Here's a vid of it on x2 speed (note the occasional "Miss" being displayed, also, I laugh at AutoPlay missing the last note): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdy30k-bPdo&feature=related  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 pm
I can make a simfile with a random speedcore song, and then throw in 1/32nd notes the whole way down. And it'll still be perfectly in sync.

P.S. The Flashbulb is ******** awesome.  

Shigeru the Hero

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:17 pm
Shigeru K
I can make a simfile with a random speedcore song, and then throw in 1/32nd notes the whole way down. And it'll still be perfectly in sync.

P.S. The Flashbulb is ******** awesome.

This reminds me of NVLM.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:47 pm
is there any kind of ranking system on stepmania?  

Jonnnn

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:10 pm
Jonnnn
is there any kind of ranking system on stepmania?

Considering that anyone can make simfiles, edit them, etc. Not really.

There is Stepmania Online if you're interested in some type of competitive play.

Boards like FFR, ODI also have places where you can brag your score (given that you play the file as is with no handicap options).  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:54 pm
The ranking system on StepMania works somewhat like this: you meet a bunch of people who also play StepMania, and you can easily tell who's the best player among you, who's second best, who's third, etc. Well, as Shigeru said, there's also StepMania Online, which will rank you on your performance.

If you mean ratings as in how hard songs are, it's a rough system where difficulty is grossly approximated, but it exists. What one person thinks is a 15 might be a 12 to another person, which is what I mean by a gross approximation.  

darkslasherX
Crew

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:51 am
darkslasherX
The ranking system on StepMania works somewhat like this: you meet a bunch of people who also play StepMania, and you can easily tell who's the best player among you, who's second best, who's third, etc. Well, as Shigeru said, there's also StepMania Online, which will rank you on your performance.

If you mean ratings as in how hard songs are, it's a rough system where difficulty is grossly approximated, but it exists. What one person thinks is a 15 might be a 12 to another person, which is what I mean by a gross approximation.

No, I meant a leaderboard of some sorts. I wanted to see if you were on it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:58 am
Not for Stepmania. The game is too progressive and diverse for it. The closest thing to ranking is your reputation amongst other players, which is accomplished through score screenshots or videos.

Let's say I play a well known and difficult song. I get a certain score. I go post it on somewhere. People will do one of three things:
1) Laugh at it because of its mediocrity.
2) Admire it.
3) Make a damn fuss out of it.  

Shigeru the Hero

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:49 pm
Hence the reason I find step mania "culture" to be obnoxious.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:08 pm
Stepmania's quite fun if you know a few people in real life who play it.

Well, there is a leaderboard for Stepmania Online, but I don't play it, so logically I wouldn't be up there. Curiously, the person who made the steps for "Chik Habit" was #3 the last time I checked. (How's that for coming full circle?)  

darkslasherX
Crew

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 pm
Heh, when I made this topic, I'd forgotten about Blur by Arch0wl. That makes two songs I can't beat, then... (well, if you don't count songs made for the sole purpose of being impossible...)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 pm
Actually the Stepmania community has made a major influence in rhythm games.

1) The jokes called O2Jam has songs and files made by known Stepmania players.
2) FFR is ******** huge now. Too bad this made it die.
3) ITG, a popular variant of DDR found in arcades is based off of Stepmania.
4) Many artists have gained popularity through Stepmania, one of which being DM Ashura. Kyle Ward has also been gaining attention due to it, but moreso through ITG.
5) Atleast one reputable stepfile maker has made it into Konami to work on a DDR game, though he was also a well known DDR player himself.  

Shigeru the Hero

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 pm
I find every one of those things obnoxious.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:42 am
Too true.  

Shigeru the Hero

PC and other Platform Gaming

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas