repairing an old .38 revolver

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:09 pm
Supposedly, there are two hundred-something year old revolvers somewhere in my house. One's a .25, the other's a .38. My grandpa obtained them after stopping a fight.

Now, the .25 I don't care about (the revolving mechanism's broken, anyways), but the .38 intrigues me. Supposedly, all it needs is a cleaning, and it'll work. However, according to my dad, it's so old that if you fired a modern .38 round from it, it would blow in your hand.

Now, my question is, if I ever find it (which, so far, seems unlikely), is it worth upgrading it to fire modern .38 Specials, or should I just keep it as an antique?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:18 pm
Requiem6661
Supposedly, there are two hundred-something year old revolvers somewhere in my house. One's a .25, the other's a .38. My grandpa obtained them after stopping a fight.

Now, the .25 I don't care about (the revolving mechanism's broken, anyways), but the .38 intrigues me. Supposedly, all it needs is a cleaning, and it'll work. However, according to my dad, it's so old that if you fired a modern .38 round from it, it would blow in your hand.

Now, my question is, if I ever find it (which, so far, seems unlikely), is it worth upgrading it to fire modern .38 Specials, or should I just keep it as an antique?

Just be sure to use regular power ammo (base of the brass should be marked with an "RP"). They started to make more powerful ammo around the 80s, if I'm not mistaken, so any revolvers made before then shouldn't be used with stronger modern ammo.  

Freak_090
Captain

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 pm
According to what my dad said, he's talked to people who hand-load their ammo, and they've told him not to put any bullet off the shelf into that gun; it's just that old. If I reduced the powder level in the casing, would that work? Or would I have to make my own bullets?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:48 pm
Requiem6661
According to what my dad said, he's talked to people who hand-load their ammo, and they've told him not to put any bullet off the shelf into that gun; it's just that old. If I reduced the powder level in the casing, would that work? Or would I have to make my own bullets?

I just recently received a 30+ year-old S&W .38 snub-nosed from my grandmother. I went out and shot it, no problems. I would look at the barrel and see how much rifling is left. If you can barely see it, then I would let it be. Steel's strength is not affected by age or repeated stress. It breaks by too much force, and wear. As long as the barrel looks ok, then there shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you do decide that the pistol is ok in that regard, be sure to check the timing. All you have to do is make sure that the cylinder lines up with the barrel and hammer before the hammer falls.

I'm sure that by, "Bullets" he was reffering to ammo in general. There is nothing wrong with modern ammo, just stay away from the +P ammo. Old revolvers were made to deal with old ammo. +P didn't come around untill the 80s, if I'm not mistaken, so don't mess with it. Stick to regular power.  

Freak_090
Captain

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 am
He said two hundred something year old pistols. So, without pictures of said pistols, we cannot really help you. Because we don't know if they're percussion, or modern cartridge revolvers.

My advice, don't shoot them. Take them to someone who knows what the ******** they're doing, and possibly donate them to a museum.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:07 pm
Inquisitor Brock
He said two hundred something year old pistols. So, without pictures of said pistols, we cannot really help you. Because we don't know if they're percussion, or modern cartridge revolvers.

My advice, don't shoot them. Take them to someone who knows what the ******** they're doing, and possibly donate them to a museum.
I wasn't going to fire them without getting them inspected first. Even then, there's a high possibility I'd just keep them as antiques, or sell them to a collector and use that money to buy a REAL gun, like a .45 Colt.

And they're only about a hundred years old or so, not TWO hundred. Plus, the .25's useless- the revolving mechanism's busted.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces