Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
course or 'course??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

don't ask about the pineapple!
  why
  what are you talking about
  your not the boss of me!!
View Results

frosty bacon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 pm
okay my fellow GGG members here is my question. when writing "course" as in of course do you add an apostrophe at the beginning? I mean, of isn't really part of the word course, but it is technically an abbreviation...or is it. please help me solve this mystery!...pineapple...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:42 am
I always type out "of course." To tell the truth I have never seen "of course" abbreviated. My friends don't feel inclined to answer in the affirmative with such a long answer. On the rare occasion when they do say "of course," they'll say "of course," and some of my friends are unfortunately use a fair bit of a "txt tlk." Then again, my typing and writing style tends to rub off on friends, so it could just be a habit they picked up, because I don't think any of them ever used "of course" till we started talking more online. -shrug- Sorry, I couldn't really help you with your inquiry.  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:04 pm
"But of course" is typically what I write.

I've never seen anyone put the apostrophe with that. -shrugs-  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:00 am
Be on the safe side and always use the full "of course". Personally if I am ever typing I would use the full phrase, though while talking I may occasionally use the shorted "course". For some reason I get the feeling that it would require an apostrophe however I'm not entirely sure. As today is my first day back at school I will have the oportunity to enquire about this for you. I'll be sure to let you know if I find out.  

XxDolorosaxX

Explosive Effects101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:10 am
I type "of purs" but if your going to say "course" I use the apostrophe.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:53 pm
I believe that when using the abbreviation for "of course" an apostrophe should definitely be used. "Of course" is a phrase and without the "of" it has a different meaning. So to show that it is an abbreviation for the term, there should be the apostrophe.  

Houra

Ithaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:44 am
Always with the apostrophe.
It's an abbreviation of a phrase.

By the way, I can't help but notice the grammar in your poll is incorrect.
It should be "You're no the boss of me", not "your".

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games