Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Anime Movies and Manga titles.
Grave of the Fireflies - "SPOILERS"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Awaken to Immortality

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am
Okay, so I decided to get all of Miyazaki's work so that included Grave of the Fireflies. I was "warned" that it was a tearjerker. But I actually found myself not really emotionally involved in the story at all.

I found it to be more of a "nobody cares about us and they'll let us just die" movie than a "Strive for existance above all odds and end up with loss" type. Yes I feel sorry for Seita and Setsuko in the fact that they lost their mother and having to try and survive the air raids and all, but I feel sorry for all of the japanese people suffering from the air raids and losing people they loved. I also feel that Seita made a lot of bad choices that contributed to their poor existance and eventual death. It wasn't like him an his sister were the only ones suffering from the air raids, it wasn't like they were the only ones to lose people they loved, yet the story plays as though they are the only ones suffering and everyone else is just being callous and uncaring.

My biggest question is why didn't he pull the yen out of the bank sooner to buy the chicken and watermelon instead of waiting until Setsuko was so malnutritioned she couldn't eat? Why didn't he while he was with his aunt, try to help out more, so that maybe his aunt would have more respect for them and they could stay in a safer environment than trying to live completely on their own when he didn't have any way to survive.

I realize not everyone will agree with me - and that I may again be seen as being harsh, but I would really like to get other peoples opinions since this was such an acclaimed movie yet I found it really very uninspiring.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:25 am
Actually this film in particular was directed by an old friend of Miyazaki's, Isao Takahata. Most people just assume it was good old Miyazaki's work due to the animation being done by Studio Ghibli. In actual fact Miyazaki was working on the much more child-friendly My Neighbor Totoro at the time of this film's production. sweatdrop Now back to the argument; personally I don't agree that Isao meant to vilify the characters surrounding Seita and Setsuko. It was more likely he was trying to convey the desperate situation at a time of war. There was so much ciaos everywhere that starving children can just go unnoticed, even the cold aunt was just trying to conserve food for at least her closest family members. While it may be true that Seita made some irresponsible choices, from a practical side I think that's just because his a proud kid who doesn't think his actions through (I mean what is he, like 12? 14?) Infact, instead of Isao making the adult characters seem cruel and callous, i think he's just making them human. Humans are jerks. Even though I wasn't really emotionally effected while watching the movie (mostly because my friend spoiled it then made me watch it) it was still a good watch. Well, that's just my opinion. ^^  

Gonkhnation

Bashful Lunatic

Awaken to Immortality

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 pm
thank you for your opinion -it is helpful. especially since I'm glad that I'm not the only one who saw that the adults weren't being especially mean to them. I understand that he was a child and bound to make mistakes, and I wholeheartedly understand the tragedy of war. I'm glad I bought the movie even if it wasn't emotionally riveting.

I especially thank you for clearing up that it wasn't Miyazaki - I guess, I just assumed, along with everyone I was with in the mall, that it was Miyazaki because it was Studio Ghibli. I'm a much bigger fan of My Neighbor Totoro.

It's kind of funny...or not...but I don't get emotionally involved in movies about tragedy as much as I do about selflessness. I can get all choked up watching Pokemon, but not watching Grave of the Fireflies.

Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro are my ultimate favorites - and then Howls Moving castle and most recently added Nausicaa.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:14 pm
War is one of those things that can lead to famines and even worse. It is cruel and unfair to all who are in an area that has a war going on there.  

Saya Ravencroft

Travis III

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:47 am
It's those scenes at the beginning and end with Seita and Setsuko's ghosts that really made me cry.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:25 am
That movie made me bawl my eyes out... Especially the ending with Seita's and Setsuko's ghosts overlooking the new Japan.  

Spheren

Beloved Dabbler

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200

srestar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 pm
It's such a sad movie. And yes, other people were suffering too, but they have to focus on the story of one family in order for the audience to build a relationship with the characters. If they focused on the people in general.. it's sad yes.. but it wouldn't inspire as much emotion.  
Anime Movies and Manga titles.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games