question about bullet shields

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 pm
Okay, I asked a couple of cops at the state fair about the bullet shield their stand had out. More specifically, I wanted to know what the largest caliber the shields can withstand is. They didn't know, since they weren't SWAT, but I still want to know.

I know range is the issue; at close range, a round may still penetrate. But at a safe distance, what is the largest caliber the shield can withstand, both pistol and rifle?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:11 pm
No idea. Did you get a name or model number of the shield? Maybe you could look it up.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:39 am
You talking like an armored pillbox shield or a riot shield or what?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:16 pm
Fresnel
You talking like an armored pillbox shield or a riot shield or what?
One-man riot shield, but it's one of the good ones, metal with a viewport in it. Not those crappy see-through ones.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:38 pm
I'm sure those riot shields are meant to block melee attacks and thrown objects but not bullets.

But prove me wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:53 am
OberFeldwebel
I'm sure those riot shields are meant to block melee attacks and thrown objects but not bullets.

But prove me wrong.
I thought so too. They might be class IIA, but I wouldn't put them much better than that. I always thought they were there for intimidation and protection against crowds and thrown bottles and rocks.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

But prove me wrong.
I thought so too. They might be class IIA, but I wouldn't put them much better than that. I always thought they were there for intimidation and protection against crowds and thrown bottles and rocks.

And bouncing back fail. rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:44 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

But prove me wrong.

User Image

Consistently the best use, and a crowd favorite to boot.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am
Still, the metal ones should be able to hold up against pistol rounds. I wouldn't push it with a rifle larger than .223, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 am
Requiem6661
Still, the metal ones should be able to hold up against pistol rounds. I wouldn't push it with a rifle larger than .223, though.
I think shotgun slugs are among the easiest rounds to stop. .22s, larger pistol rounds, and shotguns are what I'd expect. No more than that, and even that's pushing it.

Unless it looked like this though, I would only attribute any bulletproofing to "luck".  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

But prove me wrong.

User Image

Consistently the best use, and a crowd favorite to boot.

I love that photo!
I wish I could find some sort of desktop image alternator thingy that I trust.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:28 pm
Fresnel
Requiem6661
I think shotgun slugs are among the easiest rounds to stop. .22s, larger pistol rounds, and shotguns are what I'd expect. No more than that, and even that's pushing it.

Unless it looked like this though, I would only attribute any bulletproofing to "luck".

Besides, anyone with a good rifle wont be shooting at the shield, they'd be shooting around it.  

OberFeldwebel

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:36 am
I had an idea. Why not each time some one does the red rover the cops move around him and the ones behind them do a rodny king.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 am
I thought the same thing. Except I didn't say anything about Rodney King.  

OberFeldwebel

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:09 am
it all depends... the ones we had at my facility were the clear plastic shields. they have no ballistic protection. (if there are now, then fine...) I didnt really want to test the ballistic capability.

There are ballistic shields that can effectively stop rifle rounds, at decently close ranges.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games