Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Your latest caching adventures

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:15 am
Post your latest caching adventures here.

I just got back from spending a few days camping out in Otter Creek Park just southwest of Louisville, KY. I got there on Friday afternoon and started caching along the Ohio River as soon as I got my tent set up.

After a chilly night I started early on the 8 mile trail that encircles the park forest. It ended up over 9 miles with all my side trips for caching, sight seeing and rock climbing. Nice views of the Ohio River again and half of it following Otter Creek itself.

I was pretty tired after that but after a nap I was ready for the star gazing at the park observatory. The giant telescopes were pointed at Jupiter and its moons. Very clear and detailed. It was the first time I'd seen a planet with my own eyes rather than via photo.

After another chilly night I packed up this morning and came home for a shower and a mid morning nap. All-in-all I tried 9 caches, found 7 and failed 2. Not a bad weekend.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 am
Honestly, I don't have a adventure to post just yet...but I do have a few caches that are in need of updating...so we shall see what adventures may come during this process. ninja  

Neoslayer75

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200

Xhirachu

Fashionable Genius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 pm
I just went to my first five official geocaches yesterday. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:55 pm
I placed my first Cache not too long ago ^^
It was found soon after it was published (It made my day, knowing it was found and my coordinates were good)  

lightning_fall

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:22 pm
My best geocache adventure was 6 or 7 years ago in rhode island. It was a CITO event that required us to cross a river, people brought boats and canoes, and then find the site. By picking up enough trash you were given hints to the cache. Unfortuntly this was the first and last time the event was done because the area was declared wetlands and we could no longer go there.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:54 pm
Well I went to Alms park in Cincinnati It's a nice park. The first cache was easy. When I went to look for a cache called the 'c trail' for some reason I decided my geomate was wrong and went bushwacking off trail for a good while. I looked up and found that I as nowhere near any trail or the cache. I started to panic completly forgetting that I had a GPS system. When I did finally remember I turned it back on and found that I had gone from six feet to four hundred feet away from the cache I was looking for. I follwed Geomate to the cache cite again, which was about ten feet off the trail. I immediately found the cache and realized that I could have saved about fourty five minutes of being lost in the woods if I had trusted my geomate.  

7raindrops

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm
That sounds like a couple of my caching days, especially in parks with tall hills or deep hollows so there is less sky (and satellites) visible for the GPS. I could be standing right on top of the cache where my GPS zeroed out and then my GPS is going crazy saying it is still a couple hundred feet elsewhere. I need to start trusting the first location more often.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 pm
well it snowed like crazy in cinci and my friends decided to go a caching anyways. We went to a horse farm/ park with trails and there was at least a foot and a half of snow on the ground. We trecked through the trails and i got into a ditch and there was snow all the way up my pants. we didn't find the cache because it was really hidden in the snow but we are going to have to wait this snow out  

7raindrops

Arianna Lithenbourne

11,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 pm
Went out caching yesterday for a project my sister is working on. We were going to hit a couple of urban caches and be done, but it took us almost no time to finish up. So we decided to head over to a nearby hiking area and check out some nature caches that I've been considering taking a youth group to.
Well...after hiking at least a mile, getting scratched by briars, bushwhacking up hills, and hanging off a hill that was trying its hardest to become a cliffside to get at a cache hidden in the roots of a huge tree, I decided that that was not the place to go with the group.
Found the dang container in the tree, though. Got absolutely filthy as I did so...and it was only slightly distracting to listen to my mom going 'Don't fall! Don't fall! Watch your feet...your feet!'  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:21 am
Not much of an adventure but last weekend I went with other cachers to Windy Rock farm in Bardstown. We use this place for a big three day camp out every October for free. So in April some of us come back to help clean the place up after winter (lay asphalt, string barb wire, collect fallen trees).

This year we poured concrete for a pad large enough to hold three port-a-pots and then camped out for the night with good food and a bonfire.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

Merily

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 pm
I just found my first geocache yesterday with my dad. biggrin It was in one of the wooded areas near our house, so it was easy to get to, but the fact that we had to make our way through all sorts of bushes and trees made it somewhat hard to find; I think we took about 45 minutes, between trying to figure out how accurate the GPS was, getting the GPS to work, and finding the cache in all that greenery. My dad was about to give up when I stumbled across it- it was so exciting to find my first one! I left one of my handmade bracelets in it, so I'm hoping someone will take that soon before it gets wet (everything in the cache was damp, but I did have the bracelet in a baggie).

The second cache we looked for we couldn't find; it hasn't been found since the end of March, so I'm wondering if it's still there.

If you're curious, I blogged more about the cache hunting here on me and my friend's blog.  
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games