about gun laws.....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:16 pm
I've heard multiple answers for this, so I must know; when is it legal to shoot someone who breaks into your house? Do they have to be armed, or at least present a thread, or can you blow them away simply for being there?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:06 pm
Wiki:
Quote:
A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal concept derived from English Common Law, which designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

Castle Doctrines are legislated by state, and not all states in the US have a Castle Doctrine. The term "Make My Day Law" comes from the landmark 1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force - including deadly force - against an invader of the home.[1] The law's nickname is a reference to the famous line uttered by Clint Eastwood's character Dirty Harry in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, "Go ahead, make my day."

This legal doctrine is often linked to the rights of homeowners to bear arms, as defined in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller.

Kalifornia does not have any from of a Castle Doctrine. So, this, unfourtunatly, does not apply towards you.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:48 am
I like Colorado now.
Is that law still in effect?

I want a castle doctrine thing passed over here in Minnesota. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:34 am
I've heard that in Texas it's legal to shoot someone for trespassing on private property after dark, even if they're not inside your house. Anyone know if that's true?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Well, then then ******** breaking into my place better pray to god I REMEMBER to load LTL and not ******** California. As soon as I finish college, I'm moving the ******** outta here. What are the gun laws like in Washington?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:42 pm
Fresnel
I've heard that in Texas it's legal to shoot someone for trespassing on private property after dark, even if they're not inside your house. Anyone know if that's true?

Only if they are trying to commit a crime against you.
(The Law)

Requiem: D.C. makes Kali look like the wild-west. Washington state isn't so bad.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:09 am
Requiem6661
Well, then then ******** breaking into my place better pray to god I REMEMBER to load LTL and not ******** California. As soon as I finish college, I'm moving the ******** outta here. What are the gun laws like in Washington?

Depending on what the person's doing.
If he's smashing into my car that person might be getting the whole mag.
And if it's any of the collector ones that person is getting the whole mag. Not that grand theft auto is more warranted by the type of car it's just that replacing a window or the whole car would be a lot more expensive if even possible.
Sure I can probably find another car of that year and model, but will it be in as good of a condition? Probably not.

When I'm typing this I'm replaying that video of cops were some cockhead stole a Chevelle and drove it off an overpass totaling the car, but that ******** lived.
I wanted to see his guts splattered all over the highway.

At any rate, if I understand this correctly. The law in Kalifornia isn't the Castle Doctorine it's something of the reverse.
What would you call the; "If someone's in your house run away and call the cops" Doctorine?
The '******** p***y Doctorine'?
Yeah, it sounds like some of those Kalifornians.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:35 am
Freak_090
Fresnel

(The Law)

Requiem: D.C. makes Kali look like the wild-west. Washington state isn't so bad.
Define "against you". Does that mean I could have shot the b***h I caught breaking into our shed?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:16 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel

(The Law)

Define "against you". Does that mean I could have shot the b***h I caught breaking into our shed?

If it's as simple as he worded it a crime could simply be damaging your property. In your case, breaking into your shed.

"unlawfully entered, or was attempting to enter
unlawfully, the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business
or employment;"

Hmm, your shed may not be covered. That is unless you sleep in it or run a '******** it. Just claim your whole property as your home.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:36 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel

(The Law)

Against you as in, against/invading on your rights, property, livlihood, ...etc

Theft, burglary, B&E, vandilism....

Castle Doctrine at work  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:20 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel

(The Law)

Against you as in, against/invading on your rights, property, livlihood, ...etc

Theft, burglary, B&E, vandilism....

Castle Doctrine at work

In that case he was looking over someone else's castle. Which I believe is allowed in that Doctrine, which is pretty friggin awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:00 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel

(The Law)

I was referring to the state. I don't even want to VISIT D.C., let alone live there.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:07 am
Louisiana is pretty cool in this regard. We've got the Castle Doctrine and here your car is considered an extension of your home, so you can drive around with a loaded AR anywhere you want, except at school parking lots and such. You can also shoot any sorry SOB that's trying to hurt you in your car because of what I mentioned earlier.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:21 pm
ArmasTermin
Louisiana is pretty cool in this regard. We've got the Castle Doctrine and here your car is considered an extension of your home, so you can drive around with a loaded AR anywhere you want, except at school parking lots and such. You can also shoot any sorry SOB that's trying to hurt you in your car because of what I mentioned earlier.

Does that extend to people who; run red lights, cut you off, speed, do vehicular negligence, don't merge, and merge without signaling? Because seriously, they can kill you doing that.  

OberFeldwebel

CptBlackKawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:31 am
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but Texas and a couple other states have a law named the "Make My Day" law. Basically, if someone even has a single ******** foot on your property, and you warn them to get off, you have the right to shoot them.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games