[PRP] You're Old. You Know Stuff. (Hifadhi/Ufunuo) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Amon Larethian

Swashbuckling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:16 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Ufunuo turned from Hifadhi to Pepo and back again, head tilted curiously. Pepo wouldn't really eat Hifadhi would he? They were just joke right? Pfft, adults were weird.

But the thought was quickly forgotten, a broad grin on his maw as he looked up at Hifadhi, bounding to his paws in excitement. Hifadhi had already taught him a lot today, he knew he had to be quiet and be aware of his surrounds, and especially that he and Daga were a team. Bouncing on his paws he could barely contain his excitement, he wanted to get started now, to use all that he had learned.

"Okay! Are we going to try some hunting now?"

In his excitement, Ufunuo had forgotten that there was still more to the lesson, that he had not yet learned how to hide his scent, or why it was so important. Wait, oh yeah, there was that other part of the lesson wasn't there? He wanted to learn that too!

Skidding to an immediate stop in his cubbish bounding, he sat in front of Hifadi again, eagerly awaiting the lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:48 pm
Hifadhi sighed, but he smiled none-the-less. It was always nice to see the youth were interested in all the important things. Ufunuo was certainly restoring Hifadhi's previously shakey view of the pride's future.

"Smell is probably one of the most important things we lions have, on our own." He had to cut off Pepo, who was likely to argue that HE was the most important thing Hifadhi had to offer, "You know how you sometimes smell things... things to eat, or animals, or your family? And how sometimes you can smell them, but sometimes you can't?"

He had to try and make this less complicated... when he had explained it to Ngao, back when she had been a cub, this has taken more than one go...

demonstration_evil

Amon Larethian

Swashbuckling Sentai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:00 am
"You mean like how everyone smells different?"

His brow furrowed, tail flicking as he thought on Hifadhi's words. He'd never really thought about it before, just important scent was, he guessed he had always taken it for granted. But now, scent was a part of every day, it was how he knew who was in the den when he came home at night, how he'd always known from birth the difference between his mother and her sisters, even prey smelled different than the lions of the pride, and so did their bondeds. Wow, he'd never realized just how many scents filled his nose every day.

But what did that have to do with, oooh, wait, it could help keep track of the right target, if he lost sight of them he could smell them. But, he still didn't understand. Hifadhi had smelled him, but he had thought he was too far away for that. Then how did he keep someone else from smelling him? And what did the wind have to do with it?

His thoughts were visible in his eyes, almost as if the light of realization were floating above his head, questions and answers dancing through his mind. He was working it out, he almost had it, it was right there barely out of reach, he only needed a push in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm
"Exactly, and it's very important to keep in mind that everyone smells very different Ufunuo. But sometimes creatures will hide their scents, so they're harder to find... but there are also ways to hide yours." Hifadhi told him, glad that the cub had understood.

"The best way to hide is by making sure that the wind is blowing towards you, and away from them. That means that your scent won't reach them, because it's going the other way, but their scent will be going right too you. That was how I smelt you coming before I could see you." He told the cub, hoping that this was making some kind of sense.

If not, it would be tricky to explain.

demonstration_evil

Amon Larethian

Swashbuckling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:02 am
Ooooh, now he understood, his scent had been carried on the wind. That definitely made more sense than thinking Hifadhi could just smell that far. So then, he needed to pay attention to the wind too, and make sure he wasn't in it's path so that whoever, or whatever, he was following wouldn't know he was there. Wow, there sure were a lot of things to keep track of while hunting. He had a grasp on the concept, but the application would be much more difficult.

"What if I'm close enough that they can smell me anyways? Even without the wind?"

He pondered the question even as he asked it. After all, there was no wind in the den, and he could still smell his father and sister there. So what if he was smelled anyways? Did he mean he just shouldn't get that close, or could he hide his scent another way?

So many questions, so much to learn, and each answer always led to yet another question. It was a rare trait in one so young, a thirst for learning that Daga had come to cherish in his bonded, he only hoped that desire would never fade, for there was always more to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:09 pm
Hifadhi sighed, but he smiled, "I'll tell you what... we'll save that lesson for another day. I've told you some basic rules, now you should practise them before you think about all the other things there are to learn. Once you've mastered those, you come back and tell me, and I'll teach you more."

There, that sounded reasonable. He had taught Ngao in a similar manner. Baby steps. Always good to give them a few concepts, let them get good at those, and then realize their own flaws before they came back with more questions.

...Besides, Hifadhi had never really had the patience for any long lectures.

demonstration_evil

Amon Larethian

Swashbuckling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:27 pm
"Oh, okay."

There was disappointment in his voice as he looked down at his paws. He had wanted to learn more, young and full of energetic curiosity, Ufunuo would have happily stood before the old lion, soaking in every lesson and bit of information he could.

But if he thought about it, he supposed that Hifadhi was right, he should practice what he had already learned before moving on. If he learned to much at once he might forget everything, or just get confused when he did try to apply it, or worse, his head could explode! Well, okay, that wasn't likely to happen, at least he hoped not, but it still made sense. And he -was- anxious to use what he had learned. Oh! He bet he could sneak up on Ubele, or even Papa, that would be fun.

"Thanks Hifadhi! I'm gonna go start practicing now! Let's go Daga!"

Overflowing with excitement, the cub scurried off, Daga following at his heels. Now, where would Papa be now, he couldn't wait to show him what he had learned!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:45 pm
Hifadhi chuckled a little, "Well, good luck!" He called after the cub, before sitting back and looking at Pepo, "The kid has potential... reminds me of Ngao, when she was younger."

"Naw, the kid isn't as noisy as she was. Always the quiet one." Pepo retorted, but he looked off after the cub and nodded, "But I see what you mean, and I believe it. The kid will do well."

"If his head doesn't explode."

"Yeah... well, there's always that danger."

demonstration_evil

[IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out