Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:25 am
I have to give an informative speech for a class. stressed I you have to pick and idea, concept etc....something you can't actually touch. I think that it would be cool to do the concept of "Goth" because no one else will.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm
Well, there's always Isobel's post for a reference, other than that, maybe you could play some goth rock (that's perhaps a little more... classroom friendly), or read some poetry that's considered 'goth' (Poe's The Raven comes to mind), just to give some atmosphere. Now that I think about it since goth-ism so vague (to some... arguably it's very specific to other people... but I don't want to get into that whole debate sweatdrop ), I think multimedia is the way to go. You could play excerpts from your favourite songs or movies and talk about what makes them goth (thus showing by example). Hm, what else. You could talk about the history of the musical movement, the fashion, and the sub-subcultures within 'goth'. IT sounds like a cool assignment!  

trampyre

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 pm
I like it. smile

...oh and a word of warning...Be highy prepared to deal with ignorance, stereotypes, and sheer stupidity. Know where the stereotypes came from, be able argue against them, and make them crash down in people's faces. cool

Be prepared to defend the image of us all....*in Obi-wan's voice*Good luck Teriyaki Tsubaki!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 pm
Don't forget that there is a nasty inconsistency of "What is goth." Some consider goths to be fans of the goth rock scene; others think that goths follow a particular mindset. And then there are also the issues of the different fashions and music genres.

So, if your informative speech requires absolute fact, this might present a problem.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:28 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Don't forget that there is a nasty inconsistency of "What is goth." Some consider goths to be fans of the goth rock scene; others think that goths follow a particular mindset. And then there are also the issues of the different fashions and music genres.

So, if your informative speech requires absolute fact, this might present a problem.
whee

Maybe she could present all of those perspectives?

Or she could just do it on Goth Rock, which is pretty solid in definition. You can't argue over it much.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:46 pm
Intangible concepts? hmmmmm......

Depending on how much time you are alloted to speak, why not describe how the goth lifestyle has influenced you in a positive manner. Cite examples, show your creativity by wearing a unique-to-you outfit or something you've made (art, clothing, your sense of individual style, ect.), and leave just enough room at the end of the speech to answer the tough questions your audience may throw at you (whatever they may be....notecards can help. think of the absolute worst/offensive/hurtful questions your audience may ask before hand, and create a positive response in your mind to answer that question).

(old speech class trick)
Remember, you are trying to sell an idea or concept to a hostile audience. The more you know about the concept, and the more self confident you are about yourself and your choice, then the more credible you will seem to your audience. Take criticism in stride, and try to remain objective to the basic concepts (meaning, don't get angry when your audience heckles you or your concepts, just remain calm and answer their jibes as calmly and professionally as you are able to with as much factual knowledge as you can produce.)

Who knows, you may inadvertantly convert a couple of lost souls to the dark side....don't forget to bring cookies!  

Keevan Draco

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff