Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Technopaganism?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:50 pm
Interesting article on using the use of technology to learn about paganism and other spiritual paths...
Techonopaganism - Using New Technology to Study Old Religions

[url=http://paganwiccan.about.com/b/2008/09/15/technopaganism-where-the-new-meets-the-old.htm?nl=1]source[/url]
While we're on the topic, though, it's a good time to bring this up. Although inherently Pagan paths are typically nature-based religions, many of us find we can blend our spirituality with modern technology. It's a way of using both science and religion together, walking with one foot in both worlds, rather than choosing one to the exclusion of the other. So here's the question -- how many of you have found a way to blend science or technology with your spiritual beliefs? Ever used a cell phone in a communication spell? Ever smash a floppy disk to bits with a sledgehammer as part of a banishing ritual? Chime in and share your ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:26 pm
thats a very good point, i think just being able to post that article shows some kind of mixing of the two, personally i havent used anything like that but its not a bad idea.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

loveblackbutterflies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:33 pm
That's interesting, I've never thought of it that way. I suppose I should try to add some technology in here and there to help connect the magic to the modern world.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:14 pm
I'm not sure I'd call blending modern technology with our path 'technopaganism.' I think that to use that designation, use of human-modified natural materials must be the real core focus of your path. It's what you WORSHIP. I see it this way because you're actually very hard pressed to find a Neopagan who uses absolutely no human-modified materials in their practice. If the wand you own was carved in some way, it has been human-modified using technology (carving tools). Chances are the cauldron you own was made in a factory. And forget anything on paper lacking human modifications; paper is a technological invention as well. How many of us keep our BoS on our computer? I've got a plasma ball on my altar. I wouldn't say this make me a 'technopagan' unless I start worshiping the plasma ball. mrgreen

As for science... (mumble something incoherently)... in my humble opinion, if you're walking a nature-centered path, it's practically an obligation to study science. Especially any science that relates to the order and systems of the natural world. If you aren't, you're selling your path short. I say this coming from a perspective for which science has been a profound source of religious and mystical inspiration. If you want to know all the mysteries a particular plant has to offer you have to look at everything at your disposal; so much can be gained by knowing the life history of a plant, its associates, its greater role in the community... the list goes on. Truly I consider this to be a topic aside from the issue of technology. One that I never see talked about, actually.  

Starlock

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
the greater ritual of bannishing a computer virus!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:35 pm
maybe it's not a bad idea but it isn't for me.  

LRGG1

darkedone02

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:27 pm
It sounds kinda funny because I used my computer everyday and play games 24/7. I'm still studying Wicca and all and don't know some of the ritual and all.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:00 am
Personally I think this is good. Computers allow Pagans (or any religion, really) to link together over the internet, sharing ideas and such. It also allows prospective Pagans like me to acess a massive pool of information to sift through and learn from.  

The Amazing Jabels

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 am
it seems interesing to me but im not about to use a cell phone to invoke airs communicative qualities! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 pm
I think it is quite interesting. Not completely for me, but I would be open to trying it.  

Alice Nakagawa

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 am
well the more we advance as a people the more technology will be a part of our lives so who knows what the world holds in the future?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:14 pm
Using a floppy disk in a ritual? Now that really IS ancient
I didn't even know floppy disks were still around eek

But on a more serious note. I think the internet is a great place for information and networking but i dont think i would use modern technology in a ritual if it can be avoided
Walking with one foot in both worlds is fine by me but trying to push those two worlds together where they arent already linked isn't something i'm interested

If that any makes sense

I like to dance around in the forest talking to trees then come home and play an online game or check out whats on ebay blaugh  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games