Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
Bella's Personality Differs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xPANICxITxISxJANEx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:33 am
I was reading the first book, Twilight, over again and while I was reading from the beginning, it seemed like Bella's personality changed. She was less thinkative compared to the later paragraphs about everything else. She evens seems a little impolite. When she was at school at lunch, she's like "wait, who is this girl I'm sitting next to? Eh, oh well. It doesn't mater." she really does hate Forks but then she becomes more liek she belongs in Forks. Also, in the later books, she gets a little "dumber" as my friends put it. They say she doen't think straight and it's probably because she's blinded by love. She keeps putting the boys thoughts ahead of herself. Like she has no self-preservation (which in a way she really doesn't) She doesn't care about what happens to her, she just wants to help everyone. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the differencce.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:43 am
yeah. edward really changed her way of thinking.  

PyroDogs94

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Evil_Dark_Kitty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:34 am
Yeah I know. Sometimes Love does that to you...ad trust me i know.
Anyways there was apart in Twilight (very insignificant) that really made me wanna hit her. When he was playing the piano and she felt unimportant so then he noticed and started playing her song. I was like you should be grateful that he was playing at all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 pm
You know, I noticed a change in Bella but I liked it. In the beginning she was shy, and just... Quiet and not very... I'm not sure what the word is but I like that as it goes on, Bella gets more brave, opinionated.

Mrs Joe Trohman

xPANICxITxISxJANEx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:33 pm
Well, I think Bella was a little more stuck up in the beginning. Not in a rude way, just that she was very disliking to Forks and she only went because of her mom.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:40 pm
I dont know about in Twilight but in the other books besides the fact that she was sort of delusional and mentally ill through some of them....she was sort of stuck up! like now that i think about it she was always sorta of changing herself.....i think thats why i didnt like Breaking Dawn as much as I wanted to. Its becuase she isnt the bella we knew before.....she was the vampire sexaholic oh im going to have a kid now bella....and Im not so sure if I like that...............  

O r c h i d a c e o u s

covo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:49 pm
I noticed a change in her but I don't think it was a bad change. I just think she became even for self-less, if that's even possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:52 am
well yes, it was a better change but you have to think about how she acted in Pheonix. You could say she mostly had to think everything out because Edward came into her life. And yes, In Breakin Dawn, it was very wierd the way she cared about her child more than anything. I guess since it's by Stephenie and she has kids, she kind of portrayed the way she would have acted if she got pregenant and a bunch o evil people were coming to kill her child.  

xPANICxITxISxJANEx

Aqua Anjel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:07 pm
Yes, I think Bella's personality changed...or I guess her way of thinking. I think Bella was a lot different when she lived in Pheonix. I mean, she had no friends (so it seemed). If I moved away from my hometown, I would've kept in touch with friends as well as my mom. She seemed like a stuck up loner in the begining. It's sad in a way.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:15 pm
Bella is a dynamic character, at least, I think that's the term. That means that she's prone to change. Some main characters have a tendency to do that. It's what drives the novel, just like conflict, etc. I don't necessarily remember her being so indifferent towards the people she meets in the beginning but I do notice how she started feeing like she somewhat belonged there. After all, Edward lived there. I don't think that she gets "dumber" throughout the book. Possibly reckless, but most teenagers are like that. I've always seen Bella as the type that is constantly putting others before herself. Moving to Forks was an example of that. I think that's one of the reasons why Edward loves her so much. She's good and selfless.

I think that she's perfectly justified in the way she acted when she first moved to Forks. When I start new schools (I do this every few years) I tend to be like that, too. It's just the way things are sometimes I guess. It's not because she's stuck up, but because she doesn't see the point in planting roots in a place where she was planning on leaving ASAP. Not all loners are stuck up. Besides, it's not as if her first friend Jessica was much of a real friend to her anyway.

When it came to Breaking Dawn, I really didn't like the way she was as a vampire either. I understand that her clumsiness would be gone, but she didn't really have to be one of the strongest vampires in that story right after her transformation. I expected her to keep her humanity (in that she didn't have strong urges to feed on humans like newborns), but that's a strength all in itself, I find.  

T0m03

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:49 pm
Hmm . . . I don't think I ever really noticed this. I think it's mostly because it's a progressive change. It's not like one chapter she's one way and in the next she's completely different. It happened over four novels. Which makes complete sense. People change over time, they change they way they think, their personalities, all due to external influences like environment and other people, in this case Edward.

You need to really place yourself in her shoes to know why she seems a little impolite. First of all, she really is only living in Forks until she graduates, its to, basically, get herself out of her mother's way, which shows how selfless she is. She is brand new, everyone takes atleast a little interest, some more than others, in her, and she's a shy person. That would be extremely uncomfortable for anyone and for her more because of her intrapersonal nature. Sometimes we mask how uncomfortable we are with impoliteness or other emotions that don't 'show weakness'. Second, she doesn't want to stay. She just wants to live through the next two years until she can move out. Why place down unnecessary roots? Lastly, I don't think she has very high self esteem. She sees herslef as an outsider, she's never related well to other people and that has always set her apart from the masses, made her feel like there was something not quite right about her and that she's never belonged anywhere. And so all these three things add up.

I never found her gotting 'dumber'. I actually found her getting more confident, like she was finding the place in the world where she was supposed to be, and the people she was supposed to be surrounded with. She slowly started to think more of herself, and also less in a way. She valued herself more, but also put Edward ahead of herself. It's a delicate balance, but one that she managed to find. And it's not so much that she doesn't care what happens to her, it's that she cares more about what happens to Edward. It's what happens when you find that other person. They're higher on the list than you are. It's not just about you anymore.

We get to watch as every peice of her life slowly finds its correct spot and watch how Bella reacts to this. So, of course she changes. Anyone would. Suddenly everything in her previous life no longer applies, she completely reinvents herself to fit these changes.
It's the Theory of Evolution in action!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:41 am
Yeah I agree. She did change, and all because of Edward. It's true though, that the way you think and the way you act does change when you fall in love. (it happened to me haha) Sometimes a good change, sometimes a bad one.

And it just goes to show that Stephenie Meyer is a really good author because she didn't just rapidly change the mindset of Bella, it happened progressively and it takes a real dedicated author to do that. And a really good writer.

Jellycones

xXserenitys-smileXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:06 am
Well character's evolve over time. So it makes sense that she is not the same Bella throughout, with her personality reflecting the situation. Although i got to say how i hate her priorities in BD, i understand it, it just drives me nuts.  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games