Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
It keeps crashing?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

men getting pregnant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:35 pm
I only have the base game and Nightlife installed currently.

I've recently installed the base game and NL, and every time I go to load it, the game crashes. It's installed it on my Vista computer, on which it has worked before. I was using some hacks, just some basic ones from MTS2 and TwoJeffs, so I figured there was probably an issue somewhere in there...

After reinstalling everything I deleted all extraneous downloads, that is everything except what I really wanted, like the homework hack. I couldn't get past the first loading screen. It always stops at one certain phrase.

I also noticed that there was no start-up movie. The screen was just black for awhile, and it showed the Maxis logo, before it started loading. It always freezes either at the third or fourth bar, and it gives a "This application has crashed" every time.

I can't even get the game to start while it's completely clean. Yes, I'm sure I got all of the downloads out. There actually wasn't a download folder.

The funny thing is, Sims 2 played perfectly fine for awhile before this started happening. I did have expansion packs that I don't currently, and it seemed to save the information from the previous packs.

I'm beginning to think this might be some strange data problem, although the fact that it was working fine awhile ago is perplexing me. I'm thinking that to problem is that the data from Freetime and Bon Voyage, which is un-backed up now, still remains in the game.

Anyway, I'll keep trying various things, hopefully someone can spread some light on this.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:24 pm
did you use the boolProp cheat? If you do, you should expect crashes.
I use the cheat all the time and get about 10 crashes a day.
My computer's used to it though. I'm pretty sure yours will too.  

chibixblackxrose

3,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:39 am
Firstly this should be in the Q&A subforum so I will move it there shortly.

Secondly using 'boolprop', which should actually be called 'debug mode', does not cause errors, it just alerts you to when they happen. Debug mode was originally intended to be used by the game developers to test when things were working or not.

To the original question, are you trying to play the game with data saved from when you had the later expansion packs installed or are you starting completely from scratch?
If you have put backed up data into your game that includes info about packs you no longer have installed then thats probably whats causing the crash. New EP save data is incompatible with older EPs.
If you are playing completely from scratch then I don't know what it is.  
Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games