Welcome to Gaia! ::

Faith Black's Multi-purpose Friend Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is a hangout for everyone on Gaia. Members are encouraged to talk about just about anything, plus, we have monthly giveaways! 

Tags: giveaway, contest, hangout, friend, game 

Reply Things We Care About (Extended Discussion)
Children in America and the parents

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who's to blame?
  Parents
  Children
  Society
  A mix of all three
View Results

Vajapocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:25 pm
I have been noticing a lot of issues concerning parental responsibility/ control and the actions of children.

One of the biggest issues I have is how parents treat young kids. I work at a toy store and I know from first hand experience that parents are not teaching their kids how to act in a store or even doing the right thing when a kid breaks or steals something. I do not live in a high crime area, I live no where suburbia, but none the less there are startling terrible issues. In the past week alone I have seen 4 lost kids (only one parent was actually worried about the child the rest just wandered around until security noticed they had little kid stuff with no little kid). I had one parent go off on me a few weeks ago for not watching his 3-4 year old daughter. That is not my job. We, along with the rest of the mall, have signs posted telling parents that they are responsible for their children AND the child must be with them at all times. Unfortunately, the parents seldom follow this.

Even outside of the growing problems at America's malls there is the problem with the schools. Many schools are trying to eliminate academic stress by making things easier and even changing the color pens that teachers use to grade papers. Kids are being taught that if they fail, it's only temporary. It's becoming ridiculous. Even when schools now try to enforce a policy they end up with a lawsuit or some other repercussion. One of the best examples I have of that is a case in a WA high school where a group of students (part of a bible club) were harassing the general student body. These kids were even blocking doors to get other students to listen to them. Long story short these kids were warned and since they didn't stop they were suspended. Rather than the parents understanding the schools decision they sued and the kids won because the school was clearly violating their religious rights despite the overwhelming evidence that they were in clear violation of the school's rules.

These are growing issues that need to be solved. The biggest cause in my opinion is the parents. The parents aren't looking out for society or their children they're just taking the easy way out and making a couple bucks while they're at it. The future problem I see coming from this lack of control and direction is that these kids will grow up thinking that there are no consequences and therefore act out negatively. Even at my job I see this. I've had two groups of kids banned from the first level of the mall for harassment and destruction of private property. Their response before it became a huge issue was that I don't have the right to tell them to leave my store and they'll bring their parents in. After the damages to private property and harassment evidence, mall security and the on site police didn't agree with them. I think that parents not teaching their kids right from wrong and how to act in public is going to lead to more cases like that where the kids think that because mommy and daddy don't care it's perfectly acceptable. These kids have a rude awakening when the police get involved.

So sub-forum ED what do you think?
Do you feel as if this is a growing issue?
Are parents really lacking control for their children?
Are the parents even to blame?
If you think this is an issue what do you think the potential consequences are?
Any other comments or personal stories are encouraged.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:43 am
yeah kids are out of control. it's just that they lack good judgement. i once heard on the news that 3 3rd graders tried to kill one of their teachers. they had equipment to tie and bind her and even a sharp object ready, but they were caught before she got hurt or something. and in my school the course material has not gotten easier it's actually gotten harder and everyday they give me nothing but homework and other crap, giving me almost no time to do the stuff i wanna do sad  

azi-maj

FaithBlack
Vice Captain

Fashionable Sex Symbol

16,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:32 pm
My best friend recently got a job in Sanrio (they mostly sell Hello Kitty merchandise). As part of her job, 3 days a month she has to dress up in the Hello Kitty costume & wave to costumers. Her first day on the job, she had to do this, & some kid about 8 or 9 years old should have been banned from the mall for the stuff he pulled.
First, he tackled her, nearly knocking her over.
Then he punched her repeatedly, using all of his strength & leaving bruises on her through the costume. The arms of the costume are only about a foot long, so she really couldn't defend herself.
& Finally, he stood there & threw things at her from across the hall.
When she told me this, my first thought was "Where the hell were his parents?"
Apparently, he was at the mall by himself. Security had to take him away before he could do anything else to my poor friend in a Hello Kitty Costume. The guards said later that he appeared to have some sort of mental illness or disability, so he wasn't all there.
What kind of parent leaves a 9 year old challenged kid in a mall by himself?

As for the schools, I have to disagree with you on this. I'm in my last year of high school this year. When I was in Elementary school, they loaded us up with so much work that we never had time to leave the house without risking failing. It was like that for everyone. I grew up with a slight learning disability, so I, of course, failed most of my classes, no matter how much effort I put in to pass. The school I went to didn't have a Special Education course for me to take, & some how I moved on to Middle School without being held back, despite my horrible grades.
In Middle School, the teachers warned us that Middle School was tougher than Elementary school, & they were right, but the teachers that cared (only about half) were willing to stay after school & give you breaks in the school work & all that. Also, they finally had a Special Education class, but my level of Disability wasn't enough for me to go into it, so I was stuck in normal classes where it took me twice as long to understand the material without extra help.
High school is the easiest thing I've dealt with, & it's ridiculous. High School is supposed to be the hardest they force you into, & yet it's nowhere near as difficult as my Elementary & Middle schools were. The only problem is the politics. If a teacher likes you, they'll help you pass, even if you don't do any of the work. If the teacher doesn't like you, they do everything in their power to make you fail. Say you turn in a paper. The teachers would hide your paper, & then claim that you never turned it in if they didn't like you. This happened to me on multiple occasions, which is why I failed, & am graduating later than the rest of my class. Anything that the teachers can do to get out of more work, they view as a blessing, & they don't hesitate to cheat you out of your grade so that they get out of more work.

I don't view this as them 'eliminating academic stress' & giving us less work, I view it as The teachers being lazy & picking favorites, making it easier for the kids that have everything going for them, & hard for the kids that don't, but I see some far bigger problems in our schools.

Going back to the behavioral issue, I have a few other stories:

First, racism in schools.
The Principal is white. He's well-known for being racist against anyone Hispanic or Asian.
Two kids in high school.
One kid is black. He doesn't care too much about consequences. He's known for having gang affiliations, & often wears dark red & throws up gang signs wherever he goes.
The other kid is Hispanic. His favorite colors to wear are baby blue & orange. Good student, great friend, plays basketball outside of school.
The 2 guys get into a fight off school property, on a weekend. They never bring the school into it because neither wants to be kicked out. The black guy initiates the fight. The Hispanic guy doesn't want to fight, tries to back out. The fight ends with the Hispanic guy being taken away on a stretcher. He's in the hospital for 2 weeks.
When they both go back to school, the Hispanic guy gets expelled from the school for fighting & having gang affiliations, while the black guy gets suspended for 2 weeks & graduates that year.
You tell me, what's wrong with this picture?

Another story:
My niece is in Daycare, & the main reason that she recently had to switch centers is because the woman that was supposed to be watching the infants (my niece is 1 year old) left bruises on children not under her care, ignored when a child needed changing (giving them rashes & infections), came in to work every morning smelling heavily of alcohol, & 'forgot' to feed the infants half the time. When the manager was confronted on this issue, instead of looking into these claims, she yelled at the parents, telling them that if they didn't like her staff, they needed to find another daycare center.
A few months later, a child buried his head under the sand & suffocated himself in the sandbox at the same daycare center. He wasn't discovered until 2 hours after he died. The center is still open, with the same drunken staff member working there.
I'm finding more & more of this sort of thing all over the place. It's in the news all the time, & I personally deal wit this sort of thing constantly. Why isn't anything being done yet about such a serious problem? Is this more important than parents not taking care of their own children? The answer is no, it's equally important. If the parents aren't taking care of their own children, it's really up to the schools & daycare centers to try & solve it. If they don't, then look at what we have to look forward to in our society. Our jails are going to be filled with people whose parents could have prevented all of this if only they'd had some proper guidance in their lives.

I completely agree that these are problems that must be dealt with, but how do you solve a parent not taking care of their own children? As seen above, you can't expect the sitters to handle it because many aren't even good at that.

Edit: That was much longer than anticipated. Sorry if I went a bit off topic... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 pm
FaithBlack
My best friend recently got a job in Sanrio (they mostly sell Hello Kitty merchandise). As part of her job, 3 days a month she has to dress up in the Hello Kitty costume & wave to costumers. Her first day on the job, she had to do this, & some kid about 8 or 9 years old should have been banned from the mall for the stuff he pulled.
First, he tackled her, nearly knocking her over.
Then he punched her repeatedly, using all of his strength & leaving bruises on her through the costume. The arms of the costume are only about a foot long, so she really couldn't defend herself.
& Finally, he stood there & threw things at her from across the hall.
When she told me this, my first thought was "Where the hell were his parents?"
Apparently, he was at the mall by himself. Security had to take him away before he could do anything else to my poor friend in a Hello Kitty Costume. The guards said later that he appeared to have some sort of mental illness or disability, so he wasn't all there.
What kind of parent leaves a 9 year old challenged kid in a mall by himself?
I think the mentally challenged thing isn't an excuse. I hoped she pressed charges against the kid. That's totally unacceptable.

Quote:
As for the schools, I have to disagree with you on this. I'm in my last year of high school this year. When I was in Elementary school, they loaded us up with so much work that we never had time to leave the house without risking failing. It was like that for everyone. I grew up with a slight learning disability, so I, of course, failed most of my classes, no matter how much effort I put in to pass. The school I went to didn't have a Special Education course for me to take, & some how I moved on to Middle School without being held back, despite my horrible grades.
In Middle School, the teachers warned us that Middle School was tougher than Elementary school, & they were right, but the teachers that cared (only about half) were willing to stay after school & give you breaks in the school work & all that. Also, they finally had a Special Education class, but my level of Disability wasn't enough for me to go into it, so I was stuck in normal classes where it took me twice as long to understand the material without extra help.
High school is the easiest thing I've dealt with, & it's ridiculous. High School is supposed to be the hardest they force you into, & yet it's nowhere near as difficult as my Elementary & Middle schools were. The only problem is the politics. If a teacher likes you, they'll help you pass, even if you don't do any of the work. If the teacher doesn't like you, they do everything in their power to make you fail. Say you turn in a paper. The teachers would hide your paper, & then claim that you never turned it in if they didn't like you. This happened to me on multiple occasions, which is why I failed, & am graduating later than the rest of my class. Anything that the teachers can do to get out of more work, they view as a blessing, & they don't hesitate to cheat you out of your grade so that they get out of more work.
I agree, but I'm going to assume we are the same age (I'm 19 and graduated last year). When I was younger the work and grading where harder but in high school that was no longer the case. My thing about schools came from an article I read in my freshman comp class this past year. Schools have become easier and politics are becoming more of the case. In middle school I failed an art class because I didn't turn in any work (according to the teacher). Even after other kids in the class said that they remember me doing and turning in work the school wouldn't believe me (I'm pretty good with visual arts so a lot of my classmates would watch me draw or anticipate the finish product). High school was far worse because of politics (for some) it was the only reason why I passed my AP Pol and Gov class (severe emotional damage led to my inability to do work in that class or any other class for that matter).
Quote:

I don't view this as them 'eliminating academic stress' & giving us less work, I view it as The teachers being lazy & picking favorites, making it easier for the kids that have everything going for them, & hard for the kids that don't, but I see some far bigger problems in our schools.
Again I got this from an article, but it doesn't surprise me based on my own experience in school. School was fairly easy for me and as time went on regular classes became almost like remedial classes. I started taking honors courses and then AP because the work was just a repeat of what I had learned the year before.
Quote:

Going back to the behavioral issue, I have a few other stories:

First, racism in schools.
The Principal is white. He's well-known for being racist against anyone Hispanic or Asian.
Two kids in high school.
One kid is black. He doesn't care too much about consequences. He's known for having gang affiliations, & often wears dark red & throws up gang signs wherever he goes.
The other kid is Hispanic. His favorite colors to wear are baby blue & orange. Good student, great friend, plays basketball outside of school.
The 2 guys get into a fight off school property, on a weekend. They never bring the school into it because neither wants to be kicked out. The black guy initiates the fight. The Hispanic guy doesn't want to fight, tries to back out. The fight ends with the Hispanic guy being taken away on a stretcher. He's in the hospital for 2 weeks.
When they both go back to school, the Hispanic guy gets expelled from the school for fighting & having gang affiliations, while the black guy gets suspended for 2 weeks & graduates that year.
You tell me, what's wrong with this picture?

A lot of things. I had a similar issue except I got suspended and the initiator got off scott free. I went to a predominately black school in middle school. I do not have an issue with black people (in fact at that school I had a lot of black friends) one girl (and her "gang") absolutely hated me because I wouldn't treat her as if she was better than me. She felt I was trying to get the white man back at the top. Which wasn't true, I'm a huge equalitist and bow down to no one. She and I have some verbal conversations and I go to the school's principal about it and tell him that she's threatening me and blah blah blah. I filed about 4 or 5 complaints within the first semester of my 6th grade year about this. All of which were ignored. One day (off of school property) she hit a friend of mine and I go off on her. I never raised a finger to her. She hit me a couple of times and asked why I didn't fight back so I told her (just as an adult was coming up) that I didn't see the point because she's so fat (and she was) that any attempt would be futile. It's like she has a force field around her, except that force field is large amount of fat that makes her hideous and deformed. I had sever bruising and blood and my friend on the ground had sustained bloody nose and black eye. We were all taken to the office and when I was brought in and told them what happened they told me I must have started the fight because I'm racist. I pointed out that I wasn't not the racist one and told them to refer to the complaints I filed (they wouldn't) and also told them even if I was racist why would a 5ft 100lb person start a physical fight with a 5ft 6-8 in 300 lb person? It didn't make sense. Well, he told me that the facts were clear and I got in school suspension and was told that I was lucky not to be facing hate crime/ assault charges.
I'm very well aware of issues dealing with race. And you know what the funny thing was? The principal was white.

Quote:
Another story:
My niece is in Daycare, & the main reason that she recently had to switch centers is because the woman that was supposed to be watching the infants (my niece is 1 year old) left bruises on children not under her care, ignored when a child needed changing (giving them rashes & infections), came in to work every morning smelling heavily of alcohol, & 'forgot' to feed the infants half the time. When the manager was confronted on this issue, instead of looking into these claims, she yelled at the parents, telling them that if they didn't like her staff, they needed to find another daycare center.
A few months later, a child buried his head under the sand & suffocated himself in the sandbox at the same daycare center. He wasn't discovered until 2 hours after he died. The center is still open, with the same drunken staff member working there.
I'm finding more & more of this sort of thing all over the place. It's in the news all the time, & I personally deal wit this sort of thing constantly. Why isn't anything being done yet about such a serious problem? Is this more important than parents not taking care of their own children? The answer is no, it's equally important. If the parents aren't taking care of their own children, it's really up to the schools & daycare centers to try & solve it. If they don't, then look at what we have to look forward to in our society. Our jails are going to be filled with people whose parents could have prevented all of this if only they'd had some proper guidance in their lives.
I agree that, that is a serious problem. I was focusing more on the issues of parental neglect but that neglect is a huge issue as well. The main point I was making was that the person who in charge of the child the majority of the time is responsible (especially if they are being paid for it). I am not talking about extreme neglect cases (like that) although they of course impact the child in HUGE way. I was speaking more about the kids who are taken care of the parents let small things like theft slide or encourage the kid by saying that's cute (and meaning it I had this happen the other night).
Quote:
I completely agree that these are problems that must be dealt with, but how do you solve a parent not taking care of their own children? As seen above, you can't expect the sitters to handle it because many aren't even good at that.
I agree that the parents are not responsible all the time but as a parent they need to be monitoring those types of situations and in the case you presented they don't until it's too late. I would say that the best way for a parent to take care of their own child is to pay attention and correct bad behavior. In cases like extreme neglect form like a baby sitter, that is a whole new can of worms and the parent needs to not only sue but move their child to a new reputable place as well.

Quote:
Edit: That was much longer than anticipated. Sorry if I went a bit off topic... sweatdrop
That's fine it makes the discussion better n.n  

Vajapocalypse

FaithBlack
Vice Captain

Fashionable Sex Symbol

16,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:03 am
Caffinated Mushroom

Quote:
I agree that the parents are not responsible all the time but as a parent they need to be monitoring those types of situations and in the case you presented they don't until it's too late. I would say that the best way for a parent to take care of their own child is to pay attention and correct bad behavior. In cases like extreme neglect form like a baby sitter, that is a whole new can of worms and the parent needs to not only sue but move their child to a new reputable place as well.

Okay, so that says what the parents need to do in order to find a sitter to cover for their mistakes, but what about the parents? Who gives them the slap on the wrist when they allow their children to have the serious behavioral problems, like stealing & what not? Sure, when they're older, the police will get involved, but they need to be taught at an early age that this sort of thing is wrong. By the time they're old enough that the police will get involved, it will already be in their heads that there won't be a lot of consequences, so how do you get a parent to discipline their child? Child services won't care, as long as the kid is in good health (no bruises, reports of sexual assault, etc). At that age, most judges won't want to send them to juvie unless it's a really serious case. So how do you deal with it? Are people supposed to go door to door & educate parents on disciplining their children? What can you really do?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:03 pm
FaithBlack
Caffinated Mushroom

Quote:

Okay, so that says what the parents need to do in order to find a sitter to cover for their mistakes, but what about the parents? Who gives them the slap on the wrist when they allow their children to have the serious behavioral problems, like stealing & what not? Sure, when they're older, the police will get involved, but they need to be taught at an early age that this sort of thing is wrong. By the time they're old enough that the police will get involved, it will already be in their heads that there won't be a lot of consequences, so how do you get a parent to discipline their child? Child services won't care, as long as the kid is in good health (no bruises, reports of sexual assault, etc). At that age, most judges won't want to send them to juvie unless it's a really serious case. So how do you deal with it? Are people supposed to go door to door & educate parents on disciplining their children? What can you really do?
Yes, they should. In Clark County, WA state teen mothers are required to have classes about parenting and have check ups by social services to make sure they are taking care of their children. I agree with that because clearly, there are a lot of parents who are not disciplining their children effectively. I saw a parent reward her 4 year old kid with a toy right after the kid kicked her older brother (kid was like 6) in the testes (she did tell the girl not to do it again but come on she bought the kid a toy for Christ sakes no more than a minute after the incident). Someone needs to be telling parents that's not the appropriate way to handle the situation. Classes should be required and parents along with kids should be held accountable if a minor commits a crime.

I hear it all the time "it's hard being a parent" "I don't want to hear him cry" "blah blah blah" it doesn't matter. You are the parent and it is up to YOU to make sure your child will grow up to be a productive member of society not some little brat who is use to being given everything even when they've done something bad.  

Vajapocalypse

Poison Fairy Sennyo

6,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 pm
As most people know, America has become one of the more radical and lazy-er of countries and youths these days can be a perfect example of that. Due to the lack of discepline and order in society, this effects parents/adults which bear these things upon their kids and students and etc.
Perhaps because this country is such a damn large 'melting pot', there is no main custom or tradition for people to follow regarding manners and acts. And so, people step out of their ancestor's cultures and become one with what is generally the sterotype of American culture: "Killing people for no reason"(a quote from Rush Hour 3, rudeness, possibly stupidity, and fatness.
I'm ashamed of not having any culture or tradition bestowed upon me, a child of an immigrant and an immigrant's daughter, and it seems that I too have resorted to the 'American culture' if I may quote myself, ashamed of being an American because of these bratty youths and the adults that had corrupted them.
Just look at all those Hollywood teen couples and non-couples, becoming pregnant and then having a volley of insults upon them about being irresponsible for becoming pregnant underaged, I speak mainly on that Jamie Lynn Spears girl, but there are several other famous young people I'm sure that have/had become/been pregnant with negative response from the public.
I feel so horrible for your Hello Kitty friend! That little boy is an a** and has every right to be sued by your friend!
Perhaps it's also a side-effect of people in America being so fake and phony in public, and these people lashing out and causing trouble is them releasing their unconscious or conscious anger. But, perhaps all countrys' people must act false in the public's eye.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:09 am
Poison Fairy Sennyo
Perhaps it's also a side-effect of people in America being so fake and phony in public, and these people lashing out and causing trouble is them releasing their unconscious or conscious anger. But, perhaps all countrys' people must act false in the public's eye.

If that is the case, then I can't help but wonder what the people of other countries do to vent this.

What people do behind closed doors is their own business, in my opinion, as long as they are not harming anyone in order to do it. In public, I believe that people have an obligation to themselves and their communities to be the best they can be so that they can set an example for others (particularly children) as well as save themselves some embarrassment. I think that the problem-people have not had this important lesson instilled into them due to the laziness of parents these days. However, it doesn't help that our society often makes famous people who do very bad things. Ted Bundy is a great example of this. They even made a movie based on this serial killers actions!  

YO YO MAMA_1987

Amethyst Bath and Beauty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:40 am
Do you feel as if this is a growing issue?
I feel like this is a MAJOR issue in our society today! If nobody does anything about it, the only possible outcome is anarchy. Either that or more people in prison than out.

Are parents really lacking control for their children?
I believe they have the means at their disposal, but they haven't the motive.
When we were in high school, taking those sex education classes, what were we taught? Promiscuity leads to HIV and babies. That fear of HIV is what kept many of us from having sex until we were a few years older. I think that parents should be required, by law, to take a course on raising children. In that course, they will learn, the same way we learned about HIV, that their kids will grow up to go to prison if they're not raised properly. I'm not saying that if a parent fails the course, they shouldn't be allowed to have children, I'm saying that an attempt to inform parents is better than what we've got now. No wonder kids today have so many problems! If parents are informed about what punishment methods are acceptable & what aren't, I think we'll see a lot less kids being put into foster care because their parents beat the snot out of them for misbehaving. I also think that this will let parents know exactly how much work will be expected of them, & it may encourage people to hold off on having kids until they are stable enough to do so... In other words, when they're not too lazy to take care of them. (It probably won't do a lot in this area, but it will help a little at least. Helps overpopulation too.) Even if a parent doesn't pass this course, there will be millions of other parents who can offer some advice from the course.

Are the parents even to blame?
Absolutely. I think it to be entirely the parent's fault. They have a duty to themselves, their kids, & society to take care of their children. Not punishing them when they are obviously doing something bad is just as bad as neglect in my book.

If you think this is an issue what do you think the potential consequences are?
As I said before, more people in prison than out. I also think that it could, eventually, mean a lot more kids in foster care, which benefits no one. All those people who talk about solving the problems of the world will finally be forced to deal with the problems in America (you can't help others until you help yourself) when they all get robbed & have their children taken away.

Any other comments or personal stories are encouraged.
I have a story.
My Aunt Phylis has 3 kids - Kenny, 25, Matthew, 16, & Sara, 10.
Everyone knows that my Aunt Phylis is not the brightest star in the solar system. Everyone also knows that Phylis is a HORRIBLE parent.
When Kenny was young, Phylis was working a lot, & his father was never around. I never knew who raised Kenny, but my cousin Kenny is absolutely wonderful. He's polite, he's considerate, he's everything that a man should be. To society, he'd be seen as an average guy. In our family, he's a Saint & a God. Phylis had very little to no hand in raising Kenny, & he's a million times better for it.
The proof of this comes from Phylis' other 2 kids. Matthew was selfish in his childhood. Everything was his as long as he was the baby in the house, & he got everything he ever wanted. Now that he's a teenager, he's in & out of Juvie, constantly in trouble with the law, & Phylis just sits by & lets it happen. He started acting out more after his little sister was born.
Sara is no better. In fact, she's worse. A few years ago, I, along with my mom's whole side of the family, were to plan a funeral for my Great Grandmother. One day, the whole family was talking with the funeral director who would be handling all the arrangements. Sara, being the brat that she is, decided that since no one was paying attention to her, she was going to have a tantrum. She wanted to leave, she wanted ice cream, she wanted candy, she wanted anything that would make her the center of attention. While she was throwing this tantrum, the whole family stared at her, the funeral director, too. What did Phylis do? She stared blankly into space on the other side of the room, ignoring her daughter.
My sister is about the same age as Kenny. My sister suggested to Sara that they go outside to play while the grown ups talked. Sara's tantrum turned violent, & Phylis decided to yell at my sister for touching her daughter (she had grabbed Sara's arm to take her outside), instead of yelling at her daughter, who had kicked my sister in the shin.
Kenny seems to be the only person who can control those kids that Phylis doesn't yell at (mostly because Kenny yells right back when she gets mad at him for controlling her kids. Kenny's a big man, so intimidation is his specialty when it comes to Phylis & her abusive husband).
My sister was asked to leave, & Sara later got her ice cream. My mother decided to spend the next 10 minutes screaming at Phylis; the basic gyst of it was "If you're not gonna control your kids, then let Angel (my sister), or I'm going to, & neither of you is gonna like that!"
Cases such as this make me question, what do you do when parents are under the impression that their kids can do no wrong? Obviously, jail time isn't going to do any good, even when their kids are adults, because they will still be under the impression that everyone has been wrong all these years & that their child is a saint.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 am
FaithBlack

Okay, so that says what the parents need to do in order to find a sitter to cover for their mistakes...

What if the parents simply don't care enough to find a sitter who CAN cover for their mistakes? Many parents who don't care enough discipline their kids find the cutest looking teenage girl & say "You're hired", which often leads to kids being molested in the home, either by the girl they hired, or by the girl's boyfriend or friends. That, or they leave it up to the older siblings, who, due to the previous bad parenting skills, are just as irresponsible.  

Amethyst Bath and Beauty

Things We Care About (Extended Discussion)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games