Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
My review of Silent Hill 5 * gameplay spoilers*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Undine Mystic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 am
I had to review this game because I am such a fan and this game disappointed me so much.

Combat:
They have changed the combat system so that you can do light attacks, strong attacks and dodge. This is not a bad thing, but learning how fight accurately can take a while. Learning how to dodge is vital otherwise you will run out of health quickly. At first, the game leads you to believe that each monster must be killed with a certain weapon, meaning you have to change weapons a lot, but soon you may realise that nearly every monster (including some bosses) can be killed with the knife, and you will take no damage! There is only one main monster that must be killed with a gun.

Camera:
The camera is positioned right behind the character, almost like its between 1st and 3rd person. I found this to be very annoying in combat as it is hard to see your character in relation to the environment while fighting a monster. The left analogue stick allows the character to strafe left, right, and move forward and backward, while the right analogue stick turns your character and doubles as the camera. This configuration would be fine if the damn camera/turn stick was a little more faster. To turn your character seems like such an effort, and is annoying when you have to move quickly.

Graphics:
The graphics I think are extremely poor, especially when held up against other current games. This is very noticeable in the cut-scenes where they can't even get lip-syncing right. Textures are not up to scratch and the movement of clothing, hair, etc is non-existent. The game is extremely dark. Remember in SH1 when Harry runs through the hell streets of Silent Hill and you can barely see in front of you? It is like that for a huge chunk of the game. This kind of darkness is bad because it make the game visually boring, I get tired of looking at grey. The lighting could have been better, a brighter torch would have been nice, one that actually reflects off shiny surfaces.

Sound:
The sound is well balanced, but the sound effects are nothing new. I feel that sound was weakest in cut-scenes, where at times it is very difficult to hear what the characters are saying. The voice acting was okay, but could have been better.

Scariness:
I would have to say this is the least scariest Silent Hill I have ever played. In the entire game I only jumped once. The monsters are not that original, and are mostly reworked versions of earlier monsters. There is one enemy that made me laugh due to their lack of scariness, in fact I thought this enemy was cheesy.

Story:
The story is slow at first, but is good enough to keep you intrigued. The story is pretty good overall, but there are a few plotholes and it could have been a little more stronger and involved. The ending is too short.

The game was enjoyable but was too short, too easy, and looked poor.
My rating: 6/10  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:04 pm
Undine Mystic
Scariness:
I would have to say this is the least scariest Silent Hill I have ever played. In the entire game I only jumped once. The monsters are not that original, and are mostly reworked versions of earlier monsters. There is one enemy that made me laugh due to their lack of scariness, in fact I thought this enemy was cheesy.

I'm going to take your word on this and not get the game.  

Shigeru the Hero

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:20 pm
As will I...  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff