Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
US vs. Continental Knitting.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Continental or US
  US (Throwing)
  Continental
View Results

Supertheory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 am
Which is better?

US is pretty much the only style of knitting I've ever encountered, but I've been watching some videos on youtube about continental knitting, and it seems MUCH nicer. It looks less strenuous (for all of those worried about repetitive stress injuries), and way way way way way faster.

I think I might make the switch.

Does anyone here use the continental method? Has anyone switched from one to the other? Why?

Oh, if you're not sure what the difference is (I wasn't), Continental vs US demo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 am
I do both when I'm knitting fair-isle, but otherwise I prefer US. I think continental is very nice, but my tension is harder to control.  

Catcheen
Crew

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:29 am
Neither.

I guess I'm weird. I suppose I'm closer to the continental version, but I purl strangely (I've been told it's the "German" way of doing things, but I don't know what this means), so I have to knit into the back loop of every stitch so that they don't twist. I hold my yarn the same way when I knit as I do when I crochet. Oddly enough, though I'm extremely right handed, and was taught to knit and crochet by a right handed person, the way I hold my yarn and knit is reminiscent of the way my left-handed grandmother held hers (she died four years before I learned to knit, and lived 2000+ miles away, so it's not like we spent a lot of time together). It's interesting the way some things are genetic like that.

Oh, and I was taught to knit by a French Canadian. Quebec is very strongly influenced by Europe, so that could explain how I ended up with a strange Continental hybrid for my knitting style.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:50 pm
Continental for the most part. It's so much faster. I don't control the tension in my yarn like that though...it's hard to describe how I hold it.  

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:40 pm
knitting_needle_ninja
Neither.

I guess I'm weird. I suppose I'm closer to the continental version, but I purl strangely (I've been told it's the "German" way of doing things, but I don't know what this means), so I have to knit into the back loop of every stitch so that they don't twist. I hold my yarn the same way when I knit as I do when I crochet. Oddly enough, though I'm extremely right handed, and was taught to knit and crochet by a right handed person, the way I hold my yarn and knit is reminiscent of the way my left-handed grandmother held hers (she died four years before I learned to knit, and lived 2000+ miles away, so it's not like we spent a lot of time together). It's interesting the way some things are genetic like that.

Oh, and I was taught to knit by a French Canadian. Quebec is very strongly influenced by Europe, so that could explain how I ended up with a strange Continental hybrid for my knitting style.
I knit the same way. I taught myself from books, and one book suggested knitting that way for some reason (maybe rugs - I can't remember, and it's an old book from the 70's, which fell apart and I no longer own), so I tried and preferred it, then forgot there was any other way to knit.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:05 am
One thing she does say in the video is that she usually uses a needle up to two sizes (I'm assuming she's talking mm) smaller than what the yarn actually needs. I'm pretty good with controlling my gauge, well, most of the time, but I'm hoping that after taking some time to re-adjust I'll do ok.

I'm thinking of trying it out on my next project - a round neck sweater with set-in sleeves - but the yarn I'm using I find quite slippery. I'm sure continental will be faster in the long run, but I don't know if it'll be longer to learn it than to just do the whole thing in US.

Supertheory

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:27 pm
I throw US style- though I don't knit like most people do. I taught myself so I 'invented' my own way.

A friend taught me continental and I love using it for Fair Isle; but I don't knit with it consistently because I find purling uncomfortable.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:25 am
knitting_needle_ninja
Neither.

Annie Modesitt Knits/purls like that. She calls it combination knitting, and I've found it much easier (and neater!) than "traditional" Continental purling. As long as you remember to orient the stitch the right way, I think it's a better method, combining speed and eveness.  

AriRashkae

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 pm
I guess I've always done Continental.

However, I don't really have a good hold on the yarn that works both for knitting and purling.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:20 pm
I'm fairly new to knitting (being an avid crochetter for years ^_^) and the only style I've ever encountered is US. I'm really glad you made this topic though, because I recently developed tendenitis in my wrists. With more than one option of knitting, I can avoid making the condition worse! biggrin  

Evagaline

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:49 pm
I've always done us knitting, but l think I'll learn this other method.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:52 pm
One of the reasons I was interested in continental was simply that it looks faster than US. Smaller motions, more efficient. Quantity is a big issue for me when I knit, and that really drew me to it. The problem is that it's taking too long for me to learn. I've decided to continue on with working US style on my sweaters for class, then do Continental for a few smaller projects.

Another t hing I like about it, is that it seems FANTASTIC when you're working with two colours. Who needs to put yarn down when you can just switch hands?  

Supertheory

karli beth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 pm
Well, i've alway knitted U.S. (but i hate it) i could NEVER get my tension right and then i would just ruin my project. Continental IS alot faster but, atleast for me, alot harder to teach yourself how to do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 am
When I started knitting, I was a thrower, that's how my mother taught in 5th grade, that's how she does most everything. (she is a master knitter) but then I dropped the needles for a few years, and then picked up the hook. (crochet hooks) and I became quite proficient at it. I then tried to pick up the needles. I just cannot throw for the like of me, So I am in the posistion of being stuck in continental not able to convert to throwing.  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items