Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Cakes and Ale (or cheese toast and pepsi)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:49 pm
So...as you may have gathered from the topic title, I have few questions about what is appropriate for ritual food/drink. Normally if one is working with a specific deity, you would do a bit of research and determine what types of food/drink they like and...no problem. But lately I have simply been working with the God and Goddess. As my interest is in BTW and I can't know their names until I am initiated, obviously I can't really research what they may or may not like. My other question was sort of brought about (belatedly I admit) by a comment that was made awhile back in M&R when someone (not me blaugh ) mentioned using crackers and juice boxes for their "cakes and ale". To be honest, I don't necessarily see a problem with that...especially if it is all you have to offer. There has been any number of times when I was lucky that I had food to feed my kids, so I really had to make do with what ever I could scrounge up.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks on the subject. Thanks!

(I am posting this in a couple of places so if you see it somewhere else sorry for the "deja vu" xd )  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:33 pm
I don't usually offer a food/"cakes" to the gods; it's usually just a drink. It seems appropriate to offer them beer/mead, milk, cider, or spiced wine. Food offerings aren't unheard of though; I think Odinn and Tyr appreciate offerings of red meat, and it's UPG/SPG that Freyja enjoys strawberries. And I would think that game meats are a good offering to Ullr.

In my opinion, if all I had to offer was a juice box I would rather just wait until I have something substantial and more to their liking to offer them. I would rather make them wait a bit rather than give them something that makes them go "WTF? What is this?" Or if I were blotting to Loki (for whatever reason) I think a juice box would be acceptable xd  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:58 pm
"Cakes and ale" is a Wiccan and Neo-Wiccan thing ^_^

All I can offer is my UPG on the subject. For the God and Goddess, I always get the idea that clean water is appreciated (so we'd be talking filtered). White or red wine, as well, possibly dessert wine or mulled wine. Wine is good because it alters your mindstate and makes for a good ritual ^_^ Mulled wine in particular, because of the spices and because it's clearly "special" and reserved for ritual. Dessert wine for the same reason, as its not the world's most popular beverage of an evening wink

I've actually never had the impression that "ale" actually referred to ale. Maybe that's just because I don't like ale xd

Otherwise, yes, fruit juices, although personally I'd put them in a chalice. Preferably freshly squeezed, maybe a bit pulpy. Milk seems like a good option too.

Cakes would reportedly be anything with carbs, to ground you after the bulk of the ritual. Lots of people like their crackers. I'm actually a fan of plain bread and tend to use it the most often. Some people make cookies and others have actual cakes. But bread makes the most sense to me, being made of wheat (and linked to the God in my mind), simple, grounding, and frankly being the best of what most people in history could get. It's a "let them eat cake" sort of moment xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:20 am
All the world's a stage
And the men and women merely players

I've heard of people making elaborate feasts, particuarly for their holiday alters, but I think a ritual can be done just as well with basics. I don't see a problem with substituting food, for either economic or personal (i.e., vegetarian/vegan, non-drinker, etc).

I personally have only offered water, and occasionally flat ginger ale as a replacement for wine, as I do not drink. Where I live right now I cannot have open flames or incense, so I have found a strong tea is a good substitute, and I use that quite often too. A Hindu deity I work with often is quite fond of sweet things, so strong vanilla-flavored Chai tea with brown sugar is an appropriate offering to Him.

User Image

Vanya Karamazov

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:18 pm
Personaly I cook or brew what I can but I see no reason for simple substitutes. I really feel intent is the most important part.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 pm
I was thinking about keeping a bottle of mead or wine specifically for the purpose of offerings but living with my parents just doesn't make that work lol...despite having recently turned 18 and therefore I'm legally allowed to buy drink (yum and yay).

So I use milk and home made bread. Both come from the Earth and I'm sure they make a fine offering. I've not had any complaints smile  

doistu

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:16 am
I think if its a heart felt offering then i see no problem offering what ever is available. Ive used apples and lemonade before in an offering and I dont see any issue with that, who knows perhaps the god and goddess might like a varried menu from time to time, I mean wouldnt you get sick of the same thing again and agian?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:35 pm
Heartfelt is always best.

For my own initiation ritual I used cranberry juice, and some white bread that I tried to make. I'm still not sure what caused it to turn out like a flat and dense loaf.. maybe my yeast was too old.. :/  

Reivyn-chan

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:44 pm
Reivyn-chan

For my own initiation ritual I used cranberry juice, and some white bread that I tried to make. I'm still not sure what caused it to turn out like a flat and dense loaf.. maybe my yeast was too old.. :/

You might need to sift the flour or the water you used is too hot. When they say warm they mean it. Also if it raining that day there is a change in air pressure which can change the cooking time requiered. Sorry I'm a Chef.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:12 am
DenvoPryde
Reivyn-chan

You might need to sift the flour or the water you used is too hot. When they say warm they mean it. Also if it raining that day there is a change in air pressure which can change the cooking time requiered. Sorry I'm a Chef.

Thanks for the tips! It was the first time I've tried making anything other than my banana bread, which is more a cake than a bread.. blaugh

I'm tempted to try and make a yule log desert now. sweatdrop  

Reivyn-chan

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:23 pm
ive heard of this one used as an offering so i thought i might post it here:

Instead of cakes you cut an apple from side to side and a star shape show in the middle so you cut a few slices of apple in this fashiopn and instead of whine you use apple cider.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games